Tuning opinions.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning opinions.....

Have hypertech to correct speedometer for gears, what are everyones opinion on the engine tuning it offers as well????

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
    lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

There was a thread about that recently. I found this.
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showpost...47&postcount=8
    LOL

Fred gave some good info on it. I'm looking for it.
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8777
    Well I went back two and a half months and couldn't find the post I was thinking of. I guess it was longer ago than I thought.

BTW I know we tell people to use the search function to answer question but I would recommend the second thing for new people to do is to review everything that injuneer has posted.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Any comments I have made about the Hypertech "power tuning" would be with respect to the LT1 cars, but the original post is about an LS1. While the "power tuning" in the LT1 programmers has been demonstrated to actually reduce power in some cases (particularly where the engine already has some good "bolt on" mods, and when you don't included the 160degF t'stat), I have never seen a similar dyno comparison on an LS1 car. I would not just assume that because the LT1 Hypertech tuning is weak that the LS1 would be too. The LS1 cars have the added complication of a "torque management" feature in the stock PCM that can make the gains from aftermarket tuning a bit greater than the LT1.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Any comments I have made about the Hypertech "power tuning" would be with respect to the LT1 cars, but the original post is about an LS1. While the "power tuning" in the LT1 programmers has been demonstrated to actually reduce power in some cases (particularly where the engine already has some good "bolt on" mods, and when you don't included the 160degF t'stat), I have never seen a similar dyno comparison on an LS1 car. I would not just assume that because the LT1 Hypertech tuning is weak that the LS1 would be too. The LS1 cars have the added complication of a "torque management" feature in the stock PCM that can make the gains from aftermarket tuning a bit greater than the LT1.
        You are correct. I got so caught up in trying to find your post that I didn't pay attention to what he had.

I still stand by the last sentence in my first post though.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

FYI
          1997-2005 LS1/LS6 Edit
          http://carputing.tripod.com/LS1main.htm

Comment

I've played with one for years. They are most useful in automatic trans cars giving you the ability to adjust shift points. Combine that with the ability to change fan settings, correct for gear and tire changes, I think it's a handy device. As far as the power tuning..... well, I feel that the only real way to get substantial power gains is to have a dyno tune with a wideband sensor and create a custom program. I also have a scan cartridge that inserts into the bottom of the HPP and allows me to read all the sensors in real time or record. Reads and clears trouble codes too. Basically a neat little toy with some usefulness.

Comment

Working...
            X