idle problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle problem

off of a recent header install, when the car is in gear and at a stop, the idle jumps between 500-700 rpms. I had my computer tuned by pcmforless and it didn't fix the problem. Could it be the existing 02 sensors or spark plug wires?

What could it be.? Whatever it is it is throwing the SES light.
    K&N FIPK II, LT4 KM, JetHot LTs, Hooker Catback

I don't know if this could be similar but I converted my 85 Mustang GT to the Holley projection fuel injection. I put the O2 sensors way down underneath the car. . The cars idle would very about 200 rpms in about 2 second intervals. I called Holley and they said I had the O2 sensors too far away from the engine which caused a delay in the O2 readings verses the actual combustion.

I just was wondering if your O2s got moved down the exhaust and could be doing the same thing.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If the SES light corresponds with the problem, why not have it scanned? That might just point you in the correct direction. Some auto parts stores will scan your OBD-II 1996 for free. An OBD-II code reader can be purchased from Harbor Freight for $40.

Have you ever cleaned the throttle body, including the IAC motor and the idle air passages? That's just a wild guess..... a scan would eliminate the need to guess.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X