ls1 axle into lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ls1 axle into lt1

would a rear axle from a 98 on ls1 powerd car fit into my 93 formula. are they all fitted with a torsen diff. and would i have a problem with the abs system?
    http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
    C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
    mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Originally posted by bigtow
    would a rear axle from a 98 on ls1 powerd car fit into my 93 formula.
    yes. I have one out of a 2001. The Torson is much better than the clutch types. Here is the web site for the manufacturer of the chunk. www.torsen.com
    are they all fitted with a torsen diff.
    As far as I know yes. All LS1 cars except the SS and the Firehawk have the Torsen differential. The SS and the Firehawk use an Auburn. I'd rather have the Torsen. The SSRs use the Torsen too. A bunch of cars use it. http://www.torsen.com/oem.htm
    and would i have a problem with the abs system?
    No. The rear axle has the some sensor on it from 93 to 02. I just looked it up. It's part number 10456115 for every year. Mine works perfect.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If the LS1 donor car DID NOT have traction control, you can swap it in. If the LS1 donor DID have traction control, you will have problems with your ABS. ABS cars have only the rear wheel speed sensor on the top of the differential housing. The traction control rears have a reluctor gear/sensor behind each axle hub..... will not interface.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for the info
        http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
        C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

I swapped a 2002 Z28 rear into my 95 Formula. If you can, use the brakes with the new rear. I used my 95 brakes, so I had to swap back in my caliper mounting plate. The result was that my caliper sat slightly (1/8") off relative to the wheel mount. So I had to do make some slight adjustments to keep the rotor from rubbing on the calipers.

Comment

will the torsen diff be any good for using at the drags and also as you can see from the pic in my signature i am partial to the odd burn out contest will it put up with this sort of abuse and more importiant will it let me light both tyres up or would i be beter of replacing my stock diff with a eaton

Comment

will the torsen diff be any good for using at the drags and also as you can see from the pic in my signature i am partial to the odd burn out contest will it put up with this sort of abuse and more importiant will it let me light both tyres up or would i be beter of replacing my stock diff with a eaton
              The design of the Torsen is to send the power to the tire getting traction. Theoretically it should be better than a clutch type.

I have no problem lighting both tires up. I think I mentioned this before but this Torsen rear end is the first rear end I have ever had that would posi turning right. Everything else all being clutch types would still spin the right rear and not drive the left. GM, Ford and Dodge. (I haven't had an Eaton or a Detroit locker.) Not the Torsen.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                If the LS1 donor car DID NOT have traction control, you can swap it in. If the LS1 donor DID have traction control, you will have problems with your ABS. ABS cars have only the rear wheel speed sensor on the top of the differential housing. The traction control rears have a reluctor gear/sensor behind each axle hub..... will not interface.
                if i could only find a traction control car to get the axle from would the torsen assembley fit in my casing from my 93?

Comment

if i could only find a traction control car to get the axle from would the torsen assembley fit in my casing from my 93?
                  I can't answer that question.

Comment

my diff is shot for sure

my diff is apsoluty shot to bits got the car up on a lift to day and ther is no lsd action at all and ther is aprox 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch free play on the drive shaft i phoned a guy that parts out f bodys and he has got some axles from 98 on in his yard when i sayed about neading a non tc car he was not shure about that part is there any way round the abs problem. he also sayed in his opion he felt that the axles in ls1 powerd cars were weaker than lt1 axles and that it would not put up with the sort of abuice thar i tend to give them ? (i dont know what he is trying to say about me) he has a 2001 axle with a broken half shaft would my half shafts be the same?. do you think it is worth swaping axles or woulld it be easyer to replace the diff unit in my axle for a eaton one and chainge the gears for 3.73s at the same time seaing as my gears are worne any way

Comment

my diff is apsoluty shot to bits got the car up on a lift to day and ther is no lsd action at all and ther is aprox 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch free play on the drive shaft i phoned a guy that parts out f bodys and he has got some axles from 98 on in his yard when i sayed about neading a non tc car he was not shure about that part is there any way round the abs problem. he also sayed in his opion he felt that the axles in ls1 powerd cars were weaker than lt1 axles and that it would not put up with the sort of abuice thar i tend to give them ? (i dont know what he is trying to say about me) he has a 2001 axle with a broken half shaft would my half shafts be the same?. do you think it is worth swaping axles or woulld it be easyer to replace the diff unit in my axle for a eaton one and chainge the gears for 3.73s at the same time seaing as my gears are worne any way
                      Half shafts are for IRS suspensions. We don't have them. I wonder if he has one out of a Vette or he is talking about something else.

Comment

sorry

sorry a bit of confusion on the terminolgy front is seams i think you guys call them axle shafts over here in the uk we refur to them as half shafts so what i ment was the slpined shaft that goes into the diff

Comment

sorry a bit of confusion on the terminolgy front is seams i think you guys call them axle shafts over here in the uk we refur to them as half shafts so what i ment was the slpined shaft that goes into the diff
                          Ahh one of those lost something in the translation from English to English. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                            Ahh one of those lost something in the translation from English to English. LOL
                            yes it is a PITA we all speek the queens english but ther are so many differinces

Comment

are the axle shafts the same on my 93 formula as the ones in a 2001 camaro? how can i identfi weather a axle is torsen equpit. and will a torsen diff put up with the abuse that it is likey to get (check signature pic for a clue as to how it will be treated ) i may well run gas at a later date so i need to know that its gona be strong enough

Comment

Working...
                              X