700R4 q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 q's

if reasearch i did is right, the 700R4 trans came in the 87 camaro, right? if so, is it automatic overdrive or manual? cause if we put it in OD and release the brake, the engine stalls. it does this anytime OD is engaged under 2500 RPM/ 60 MPH. could this be in the trans or converter? Also, when you gun the gas, it won't go from Drive to OD until red line[5000], even if the shifter is moved at 2500. what could this be?
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
    Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
    Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
    Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
    Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

It is an automatic with overdrive. My cousin had an 85 TA and I think his did this too and it was the torque converter. It was engaging the lock up feature all the time. There was a TSB or something about it that said to test this, unplug a wiring harness from the transmission and see if it still did it, If it did, it meant the converter was bad. Mind you this was a long time ago and I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but it wouldn't hurt anything to try unpluggin the trans and see if it still did this.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

nnnoooooooooooo

i aint touching that thing yet.................................all i know is that its messed up. and why won't it shift until red line if its guned? cause if we don't gun it, it will shift at 2500.
      http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
      Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
      Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
      Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
      Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

Does it use a TV cable to shift?

If it uses a TV cable to shift, that could be set in the wrong position. If it does use the TV cable, pull the pan off and have somebody press on the pedal to make sure it goes all the way in. This can affect shifting tremendously! Proper TV adjustment can mean the life of the transmission. I recently helped a buddy of mine do the TransGo in his 93 Formula, which has the 4L60, and requires that the 700R4 kit be used. The TransGo fixed alot of shifting problems, and was well worth the time! Even found a broken part he had to order from gm.
        Attached Files
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Your question is not making sense to me. Maybe you stated it wrong? It stalls when you take your foot off the brake? I've dealt with many that stall after the lockup comes on and then you put your foot on the brake. This is usually due to a faulty lock up solenoid. However, if it stalls after you let off of the brake, I dont think your problem is in the tranny.

As for you other question, when you floor it, the tranny is supposed to shift later. Unless you have a full manual valve body, it doesnt matter when you move the shifter into O.D. Shift points are governed by throttle pressure via the detent cable connected to the throttle. If your light on the gas, it shifts early and light; if your heavy on the gas it shifts lateer and firmer.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
          X