Cam question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam question

I was looking into purchasing a cam for my car and i had my heart set on the comp cams cc306. However, once i heard the cam i was a little turned off by it because of how lopey it is. Click link too hear.

http://ls1sounds.com/headers_cutouts...cam_gunter.wmv

The cam sounds extremely mean but i really wanna keep my car for driving almost everyday in the summer and i want to be able to take my girlfriend out on dates in my car. Now i have very very basic knowledge of cams and cam timing, but what i was really wondering was, is there any way to keep the cam from being so lopey. I heard someone talk about reducing the LSA, is that true? I want the cc306 because of the power it produces but are there any other cams out there that will produce good power from about 2500 rpm to about 6000rpm without the lope.

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
    Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Looks like we're in the same boat looking for a cam. I want that cam, but I don't like the sound either. It sounds awesome when he's giving it gas, but at idle it's just too clanky. I don't like it too much either. I was going to go with the 305. I don't think there is really any way around it. A cam making that much power is going to sound like that. I think that's just the way it is.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Man his car is gorgeous. I love the rims. Clean car right there... What kinda rims are those? They look like imitation mustang bullit rims.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

That cam sounds fine if you have a muffler on it. That sounded like long tubes with no cats and a loudmouth, or strait pipe.

I think it was the exhaust causing it to be so obnoxious.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks tracy, that explains a lot. It'll probably sound a lot more toned down with my magnaflow. It isn't half as loud as a LM.

Comment

not sure if this helps or not but this is the cam i am really looking at-sounds mean-

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...solingszo6.MOV
            Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              Looks like we're in the same boat looking for a cam. I want that cam, but I don't like the sound either. It sounds awesome when he's giving it gas, but at idle it's just too clanky. I don't like it too much either. I was going to go with the 305. I don't think there is really any way around it. A cam making that much power is going to sound like that. I think that's just the way it is.
              the cc305 dont sound much diff. still very lopey

Comment

Yeah i noticed that the guy had his cut out off and i was thinking that it was making the cam sound really lopey. So the question is, if he was running full exhaust with cat, it wouldnt sound so harsh?

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Working...
                X