Lower control Arms and relocation brackets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower control Arms and relocation brackets

I've been on my mechanic, for over two months , to order my strange 3.73's for my car and get back to me so we can set up an appointment to have them installed, so I decided that while I'm I might as well start ordering parts for some traction. I'm looking at getting lca's and relocation backets from Spohn. The ads that I have seen for the relocation brackets say that I will see a .1 second improvement in my 60 foot time. What kind of improvement would I see with just the lca's? The combination of both? I think that I'm going to install the weld in relocation brackets myself . What are your personal experiences with these upgrades?

Also, I was wondering when it would be necessary to get subframe connectors? I mean there wouldn't be any chassis flex with just bolt on mods... right? (I would have a professional weld these in; just in case of a fire in the back seat)

Thanks for your input.
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

I can help you out with the SFCs. Get them ASAP. Even if not for chassis flex on the strip, for the extra firmness and better cornerning that they give your car. I love mine to death and highly recommend the SLP ones, either bolt-on or weld-on. That will help with traction also I believe, but not quite sure on that. Happy moddin'
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Based on my experience, most of the traction gain would be from the LCA relocation brackets. The firmer poly bushings in the new LCA's would help a little, with regard to straight-line traction, the small reduction in weight by going to a tubular LCA would make a minimal reduction in unsprung weight. But, there is a downside to the poly LCA bushings, and that is the possibility that you are introducing suspension "bind" when pushing the car to high cornering loads..... probably more a concern for road racing and auto-X fans.

But its the increased body lift that you get from the relocation brackets that seems to help plant the tires better, and reduce wheel hop. With just about every replacement part offered, I didn't get rid of the wheel hop until I installed the LCA relo brackets. You should be able to weld them in yourself.

I held off for quite a while on the sub-frame connectors. How much negative affect this had on traction, I don't really know. I had the SFC's added at the same time as the roll bar, and they are all connected together, so the increase in chassis stiffness was amazing. At that point the engine was over 750HP and it seemed like a good idea.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for your knowledge. I have one more question. Is the advantage of the adjustable control arms that much better than the non-adjustables?
        1993 Formula - 99k
        Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

For most applications, there is no need at all for an "adjustable" LCA. I use them to move the axle assembly front-to-rear for clearance when running 28" slicks. You could use them to correct a thrust angle problem if your car had been in an accident and wasn't realigned correctly. But generally, there is no use for the "adjustable" feature.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

What is suspension "bind"???
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

how much road noise do you get with the rod ends and how much better is cromloy vs steel for lcas
              1995 formula firebird
              mods k&n fipk ,flowmaster catback, 52mm throttle body, crane hi-6 with lx92 coil,mad dog tranny with trans cooler

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                What is suspension "bind"???
                Suspention Bind is when you corner hard and the LCAs have pressure added to the poly bushings which causes them to "bind" or get stuck to the bolts holding them to the car not allowing the LCA to move up and down on its pivot points. This causes a problem as it does not allow the suspention to travel or allows very limited travel while the pressure is still applied. This most often happens during a turn when the body of the car is trying to go the opposite direction of the rear axl as its planted to the ground(side to side G forces). This causes the car to have improper weight transfer and can cause loss of traction.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by formula14.18
                  how much road noise do you get with the rod ends and how much better is cromloy vs steel for lcas
                  The advantage of chrome-moly LCAs is the weight-savings and, depending on the construction and the steel LCAs you compare them to, added strength.
                  Steve

Comment

which company makes the best/strongest
                    1995 formula firebird
                    mods k&n fipk ,flowmaster catback, 52mm throttle body, crane hi-6 with lx92 coil,mad dog tranny with trans cooler

Comment

I've got Spohn LCAs and am very happy with them. Many other members here have them (including Fred (Injuneer)) and he's runnin' gobs of power on them. I personally recommend them.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by formula14.18
                        which company makes the best/strongest
                        I use BMRs. Spohns are good too. I don't think one is better than the other.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                        X