Interior question.....seats etc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior question.....seats etc...

Does anyone know how to remove the Air Bag cover on the passenger side? Does it pry up or do I have to get below it from the glove box?

Also is there any sport type seats that are priced reasonably? I have seen some cheap ones on Ebay but I'm a little suspicious due to the extreme low cost. But reallly what is the difference between a 320 dollar Corbeau, and an off brand seat for 2/3 the cost?

Thanks as always

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

The airbag is actually attached to the cover, so you need to go in and remove the entire module. You might be able to gain limited access by removing the glove box internals, but it might also take some dash disassembly. If you pry the cover up, you will destroy the bag. I think you can get some decent $$ by selling the complete module. That leaves you with what to replace it with, and in the past I have found an online source for replacement "covers".

A more expensive seat from a quality manufacturer is going to be stronger, lighter and more durable. I have a $220 Corbeau Forza, and even though it is about the cheapest seat they sell, its a very high quality piece. Some seats are also FIA certified, which might be a factor for road racing or auto-X.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I hate to tell you this...

But you'll have to remove the dash in order to replace the passenger airbag. We fixed an 2002 Firebird that had blown bags, and that was the only way we could replace it. It took several hours because we had to re-run the wiring harness and all. Good luck!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753605

Comment

Is it safe to say that in a seat the biggest thing I am looking for is a steel frame?

I'm trying to decide on which route to go for seats but there is such a drastic price difference in them, and all kinds of manufacturers like Corbeau, Recarro, APC, and Pro Car. It's tough to tell a quality difference from a pic

The corbeau seats are shipped free right now on llmperformace but even considering that they are about double the cost.

Is is worth it? Have any of you guys dealt with APC or procar? They sell them in Summit's catalog.

Also, any idea who makes Summits seats? ( the ones sold under Summits name)

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
        Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, I would be careful while messing with the airbag. I had a locksmith tell me that when replacing ignitions, I think it was, that they have to be really careful because if you jar the airbog module too much while messing with it, then it could go off. If that happened, broken bones or worse could result. Like I said, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but if there is even a little bit of truth to it, I would ask a pro about removing it first. Just my $0.02

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

disconnect the battery, wait 10 mins and ur good to go
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
            X