Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skyline Drive F-Body Cruise (Planning April - May 05)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyline Drive F-Body Cruise (Planning April - May 05)

Here's the link to the main discussion. I welcome anyone to join and post your thoughts there are here.

http://www.hr3rdgen.org/showthread.p...0581#post20581

My group of F-body owners is located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

For those of you in northern VA who wish to join, I am thinking of a meet up point in Fort Royal, but I will need someones help who is in Northern Va willing to coordinate that end.

Here is a recap of whats been discussed.

Skyline Drive is actually a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway located in the Shenandoah National Forest. The Blue Ridge Parkway, sometimes called "America's Favorite Drive", provides both stunning scenery and close-up looks at the natural and cultural history of the southern Appalachian Mountains. It is designed as a drive-awhile and stop-awhile experience.

The Parkway goes for 469 miles and connects Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks, providing ample opportunities for stops at overlooks, picnic and camping facilities, trails, and wonderful cultural and natural areas.

Last year I had the oppurtinuity to travel to Skyline twice. Usually I vist the Blue Ridge parkway more often, but simply just didn't get the chance in 2004.

It takes a total of about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to reach Skyline drive at either the southern entrance or the northern entrance.

I have entered the park at the southern entrance twice, but I think the for a car cruise the northern entrance would be better at Fort Royal near DC.

We have all agreed a return trip to Skyline would be awesome. And it can be done in a day. So those who would like to do a day cruise here it is.

Here is what needs to be decided on:

1.) Date for the trip (Between April & May) April 9th, 10, 11th are unavaliable for me to corridnate this event.
    2.) Meeting Location
    3.) Activites

Basically what I am thinking is, we all meet up very early in the morning, around 6-7 am ready to go. We'll all cruise out together towards Fort Royal.

At Fort Royal we will refuel and prepare for Skyline Drive. Entry to the park is 10$ for 7 days or 20$ for a years pass. I'd recomend a years pass if you want to return with us on our other two trips.

I figure we can spend all day cruising skyline, stopping for photo oppurtinuinties and eventually a breif day hike, if voted for, too the water falls.

There are some nice pinic areas along the park, we could stop and have a group pinic and BBQ if everyone brought something to pitch in.

Below is a PDF map of the park for you to download.

Shenadoah National Park - Map

Now I plan on driving like a normal person, I do speed, but I am not going to drive 80-100mph weaving in and out of traffic like an asshole with a group of 20 cars following me.

I've been on a cruise before were the 2 lead cars decided to race. We all have fast and nice cars. Some of us faster than others. It's ok for us to play around a little bit, using your best judgement, but remeber you run the risk of confusing someone who doesn't know the way.

Depending on the number of cars, we will have lead cars and group people up, and comminicate with walkie talkies.

This can be simple and enjoyable.

Now, discussion time.

Lets pick a month. This is also being posted on several other F-body message forums folks, we might have other people joining us. And I'm going to get it posted in Octane Magizine when we have decided on a date.
    This is open to anyone.
    Michael Key
    Virginia's F-Body Enthusiast Community - NEW AND IMPROVED!!!

HR3rdGen.org

I thought Doug, 97 SS 1499 was organizing the event now? He did it last year when I asked him to take the helm for me because my wife and have gone full time animal rescue. Mary and I are the orinators of the event and had conducted it from 1997 to 2003 (our last run). . It started with 17 cars in 97 and expanded to 52 cars in 2003,,there were 56 cars in 2001!

Is your event different from the one i just talked about?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

It's based on yours, but different. (I've always heard about and seen but never partook in such events) I've done it with a few friends various places on the blue ridge parkway over the years.

We as a group "Hr3rdGen" spent all 2004 talking and talking, so this year I decided to orginize it, and thought I'd post it everywhere else.

I made 3 trips last year to figure out gas prices, mileage, hikes, etc.

I spend alot of time traveling, so I thought why not orginize something.

My group has a 50-50 chance of actually getting motivated to show up. We're not a club but everyone wants to do [EDIT] as a club.

So I figured if I post it else where, more people.
      Michael Key

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

That would be me that is organizing the Spring and Fall Skyline Drive Cruise.

I have a website up www.skylinedrivecruise.com but I want to revamp it and set up a different route. I think I had 50+ in the Fall and around 50 in the Spring. I can get Year One on board, I had T Byrne Motorsports as a sponsor as well as GW Motorsports in the Fall/Spring and we had a local Charity we helped out too which was the Humane Society of Warren County.

It looks like you are off to a good start if you want to join me in helping to organize the cruise I am all for it. Let me know. I have them scheduled for the first weekend in June and the first weekend in Oct.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug 97SS
          That would be me that is organizing the Spring and Fall Skyline Drive Cruise.

I have a website up www.skylinedrivecruise.com but I want to revamp it and set up a different route. I think I had 50+ in the Fall and around 50 in the Spring. I can get Year One on board, I had T Byrne Motorsports as a sponsor as well as GW Motorsports in the Fall/Spring and we had a local Charity we helped out too which was the Humane Society of Warren County.

It looks like you are off to a good start if you want to join me in helping to organize the cruise I am all for it. Let me know. I have them scheduled for the first weekend in June and the first weekend in Oct.

Doug
          I might retract this, and and me and some guys will make this a test run.

We want to see how hard it is to manage a larger group of people in a cruise format, becuase I'm fimliar with all of the parkway down to NC and we are thinking about a weekend cruise sometime in the summer.

But yeah, if mine works out, all glady assist with the sourthern end. I'm also a freelance webdeveloper if you need help there too.
          Michael Key

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

Originally posted by pennylessz28
            I might retract this, and and me and some guys will make this a test run.

We want to see how hard it is to manage a larger group of people in a cruise format, becuase I'm fimliar with all of the parkway down to NC and we are thinking about a weekend cruise sometime in the summer.

But yeah, if mine works out, all glady assist with the sourthern end. I'm also a freelance webdeveloper if you need help there too.
            A freelance webdeveloper uh??? I like the sound of that. I think we may need to talk. I was thinking of having it originate in Charlottesville VA and work our way North this time. Something to change it up, and a place that has hotels and decent resturants etc....

I always contact the Front Royal Police Department when I we are getting ready to move into their area. I usually get a call from the Police Chief (ALL THE OFFICERS have my cell number) I am dead serious about being legit with the local law enforcement and we have had no problems what so ever. And I like it like that. I make everyone accountable for their actions as well. But its kinda cool to order pizza and give them the hotel parking lot...haha...

Comment

I started off 64 everytime last year, but I was thinking Fort Royal down would be nice.

Since we are doing this in a day we may exit the park near panoramo or something.

I've done a day trip before, but never made it through the whole park, since I always make more than one stop.
              Michael Key

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

there yu go..............

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

I started off 64 everytime last year, but I was thinking Fort Royal down would be nice.

Since we are doing this in a day we may exit the park near panoramo or something.

I've done a day trip before, but never made it through the whole park, since I always make more than one stop.
                  What I have been doing is having everyone meet at the Super K parking lot in Front Royal (most stay at the Super 8 Motel). Then we cruise South on the East side of Skyline drive. I think its Rt 528 THen we hit Rt 211 West go up through the twisties and into the park, pull into the Souvenior store then I usually go first and film people coming through the tunnel (if not me someone else) and then we hit Skyland for a nice lunch after several scenic overlook stops. Then its usually up to the participants on whether or not to cruise somewhere else which I encourage. Then we all meet back at the hotel around dinner and get together for that. Then chill in the parking lot and drink beer and tell tall tales...

Comment

What I have been doing is having everyone meet at the Super K parking lot in Front Royal (most stay at the Super 8 Motel). Then we cruise South on the East side of Skyline drive. I think its Rt 528 THen we hit Rt 211 West go up through the twisties and into the park, pull into the Souvenior store then I usually go first and film people coming through the tunnel (if not me someone else) and then we hit Skyland for a nice lunch after several scenic overlook stops. Then its usually up to the participants on whether or not to cruise somewhere else which I encourage. Then we all meet back at the hotel around dinner and get together for that. Then chill in the parking lot and drink beer and tell tall tales...
                    Sounds fun, minus the drinking.
                    Michael Key

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

Sounds fun, minus the drinking.
                      Well you can drink Pepsi with me then. i don't drink either.

Comment

Well you can drink Pepsi with me then. i don't drink either.
                        hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

some of the "drinking" was real fun..........LOL....parking lot parties bring out the best ...........in alot of folks... very few f body folks turned to the worst...

not promoting it... but dont knock it

to each thier own.........

Comment

ahhh I'm getting all happy now, spring is in a month and there are some serious talks of skyline goin down.....can't wait

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
                          lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman

some of the "drinking" was real fun..........LOL....parking lot parties bring out the best ...........in alot of folks... very few f body folks turned to the worst...

I want to throw a few back with da wolfman
                            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman

Thats cool, I'm actually a Christian and a mentor, I teach mens leadership and teach men to be men. Not sissified christian wimps like most end up.

I just don't drink. I live by a set of standards, and I stand for them.

This ought to be a good event, cuase I have people on other forums, just as excited.
                              Michael Key

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

Working...
                              X