383 stroker... what CFM Carb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383 stroker... what CFM Carb?

Ok as you can read in my Sig, my camaro is highley modified. My thing is I currently have a 600 CFM carb on her. I did the equation given out by holley on how to calculate the correct CFM/carb for a car and it says between a 650 and 700. Is that right? Or is the Carb on my car correct for the 383? Please help.

Thanks
    "Keep your Wheels a spinnin and the beavers a grinnin!"

My G Ride:
    1985 Chevy Camaro
    383 Stroker
    Edelbrock Performer Carb, Edelbrock 6089 Aluminum Heads, Speedpro 4000 series Cam, KB pistons, Chromemoly Rings, Rollertip Rocker Arms, Holley Fuel Pump, Headers (w/ y-pipe), Torker II Manifold, Comp Magnum Roller Rockers, 4:11 Posi Rear, 700R4 Trans with reverse manual valve body w/ B&M Mega Shifter, & NOS
    My car @ Cardomain

It's correct. Years ago, far too many people would bolt on a 750 cfm carb on a 350 and wonder why the car didn't respond well. The idea is to use the smallest carb and still get the job done. Also, the 600 could be cleaned up to flow in the upper 600s too. Personally, I used to really like the 650 spreadbore vac. secondary for all but the more radical cammed 4 speeds.... then the double pumper gets the choice. The center pivot float bowls work better, the smaller primaries give better mileage, etc. That does require a spreadbore manifold though. For a square bore configuration, you'll either need to rework the 600 to flow more or step up just a little. You can use the 600 as is and you'll only be losing a few horses. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      It's correct. Years ago, far too many people would bolt on a 750 cfm carb on a 350 and wonder why the car didn't respond well. ...
      I had a 6 pack on a 340. Talk about over carbed. But it sure looked good. The good thing about vacuum secondaries is it is only going to open as far as it wants. That is not true with a double pumper. You have to be more accurate with your choice of them.

Torker II is a square bore intake.

I'd go with a 750 cfm vacuum secondaries Holley. Some people call them 780s. That was a model number a long time ago not a flow rate (popular misconception). http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/0-3310c.html and get the electric choke kit or http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../0-80508S.html

edit-add
      Also get the secondaries spring kit. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SCA/20-13.html
      I'd start with the yellow spring. I think the carb comes with a purple spring. I ended up with the white spring in my 85 Mustang.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
      X