anybody know anything about a check gauge light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know anything about a check gauge light

I have a 96 camaro RS and my check gauge light has been coming on. Whenever it does my car dies. GM said it was my EGR valve. I replaced it and now it will start and run for a few seconds, then the check gauge light comes on and the car dies. Has anybody else had this happen and what was the problem?

Originally posted by bullwhip21
    I have a 96 camaro RS and my check gauge light has been coming on. Whenever it does my car dies. GM said it was my EGR valve. I replaced it and now it will start and run for a few seconds, then the check gauge light comes on and the car dies. Has anybody else had this happen and what was the problem?
    Does the SES (service engine soon) light come on at the same time? The EGR valve is not connected to the "check gauges" light.... that light is just there to tell you that one of your gauges needs attention - e.g low oil pressure, high coolant temp, etc. Now, if your EGR valve was leaking, it would cause the engine to stall. And, as the engine stalled, and the oil pressure dropped because of the low RPM, and the system voltage dropped as well, the "check gauges" light could come on in response to the falling oil pressure and low system voltage.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The service engine soon light comes on also. My oil pressure never goes down any though. When it dies it doesn't stall or cut out, it just dies like I turned the key off. A mechanic I know thinks it might be a oil pressure sensor, some kind of short or maybe a loose ground wire.

Comment

Working...
      X