Sideways exhaust?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideways exhaust?

I heard this a long time ago but I forgot to ask. One of my friends is a big import guy and I asked him why he cocked his pipe to the side. He said that the sideways fartcan reduces drag. I'm not sure if I believe that or not. I just wonder if there is any truth about gaining anything front cockin it to the side. (not that I would do it)

There is no gain from doing that. It makes no difference. He probably had no other explanation. If you think about it aerodynamically, a sideways pump would cause more wind resistance. Stick your arm out the window while you drive. Stick it straight out, then stick it out like you're pointing toward the side of the road. What puts more wind resistance on your arm? The cocked arm...
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
      I heard this a long time ago but I forgot to ask. One of my friends is a big import guy and I asked him why he cocked his pipe to the side. He said that the sideways fartcan reduces drag. I'm not sure if I believe that or not. I just wonder if there is any truth about gaining anything front cockin it to the side. (not that I would do it)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! !!

Oh that's rich!

That's one of the best ricer comments I've heard in a while!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH !!!

Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
        My first thought was to laugh out loud. Very loudly.

If anything cocking it sideways would increase the drag because it would increase the frontal area.

But with it cocked sideways you would get a venturi effect. The air going by it would cause a suction out of the exhaust pipes. Look at a NASCAR car. They come out at a 45 to get the venturi effect. I really doubt it would help a 2 liter mountain dew powered civic much.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i think they cock it sideways so their bumper doesnt get black with oil and who knows what else comes out of the muffler.....
          1996 Z28 body, the rest...drag car

Comment

Man.... if turning one fart can sideways reduces drag, I guess my exhaust system with the two turndowns rotated to the center may be making my car almost "drag free".....

Wait a minute... now I remember, I did that because it has a better chance of passing the noise tech check at the local track.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Man.... if turning one fart can sideways reduces drag, I guess my exhaust system with the two turndowns rotated to the center may be making my car almost "drag free".....
              Fred you didn't do your homework. One will give you reduced drag, two pointed towards the center will equalize and therefore no gains.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hearing a comment like that makes morning here at work that much easier

The comments made by some never cease to amaze me
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

While we are having this discussion about possible gains with the exhaust I found one that's even better.

These tips bent upwards will give the car more downforce in the back resulting into better traction.

Do not install those on a single exhaust car since you may spin around due to better traction on one tire only!
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                    While we are having this discussion about possible gains with the exhaust I found one that's even better.

These tips bent upwards will give the car more downforce in the back resulting into better traction.

Do not install those on a single exhaust car since you may spin around due to better traction on one tire only!
                    If you turn it sideways will it help you do donuts?
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

Geez, i hope the guy that said that had atleast RWD.
                      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Working...
                      X