Vacuum at idle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum at idle?

To keep a long story short, I decided to check the amount of vacuum my engine was pulling last week. Nothing is wrong with my car, I'm just trying to keep up with routine maintenance and whatnot (technical term ). After driving the car around for a while and letting everything get up to normal operating temp., I connected my vacuum gauge up (I used the THERMAC vacuum port on the TBI unit), started the car, and noted the reading. The needle on the guage was very rapidly fluddering between 20 and 21 in. Hg. I just have 2 questions regarding this reading.

1.) Is a 1 in. Hg. fluctuation of vacuum at idle a bad thing or is that normal? (I know that a large variance of 15-20 in. Hg. is generally a timing or valvetrain issue, but I am unclear about just 1 in. Hg.)

2.) Does it matter exactly where you take vacuum readings on an engine? I once knew the difference between port and manifold vacuum, but I can't remember right now.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

You need to use a "full port" vacuum connection. I'm not familiar with the details of the "thermac" connection. But it appears you have a full vacuum port. 20-21 "Hg is normal/healthy idle vacuum for a stockish cam. A fluctuating needle in the range of +/- 1/2"Hg is not a problem. With a misfire or a sticking valve, you might see is fluctuating over a wider range.... readings fluctuating between 15-20"Hg as you noted.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Alright, good. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
      X