Powdered Metal LT1 rods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdered Metal LT1 rods

I'm in the process of a 383 buildup and was thinking about using a later set of LT1 5.7" powdered metal rods. I'm hoping my motor will make close to 475 flywheel horsepower naturally aspirated.

Will the powdred metal rods be durable enough? I'd like to use them because they are native to the LT1, and are inexpensive. There's gotta be people pushing 500 horses through the stock botom end?

The crank will be a new model by Eagle. Cast, but 33% stronger than stock. This will be in a 4-bolt block.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

nevermind. I used the SEARCH feoture on camaroz28.com and found a old post from Injuneer (Fred)

Thanks fred.

Originally posted by Injuneer
    The two cases of connecting rod failure that I have seen documented, at least for the LT1 PM rods, occured at approx 600HP. The factory rates them at 450HP, and claimed that was an upgrade from the "pinks". The LT1 engines were switched to the PM's during 1994 (Corvettes) and 1995 (F-bodys), from what I have read.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You might already have the PM rods. Since I wrote what was posted above, I went out into the pile of old parts in my garage, and found that my 94 had the PM rods. Apparently it was a running change during the 94 model year. My 94 is about 400 cars from the last 94 model year production number.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah. I saw that. The thing is, I'm not going to tear apart my stock motor. It only has 58,000 miles on it, and runs great. I'm planning to sell it whole.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:

Comment

What are you doing for the new engine? You would probably need a complete "donor" motor. I bought a used bare block, and even after buying an all new rotating assembly, heads/intake, cam and valve train, water pump, Opti, etc there was a huge number of miscellaneous parts that I needed to scavenge from the old setup. What I managed to bring home in leftover parts from my original engine fit in a fairly small box.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The guy I bought the block from included the following:

4-bolt block, with main caps and bolts
            Oil pan, with screw rails and fasteners
            1994 Timing cover with fasteners
            rear main seal ring with fasteners
            water pump drive
            distributor stub shaft with bolt
            valve covers with fasteners
            windage tray with fasteners

I am getting the following this weekend in trade for a set of salad shooters:

Water pump housing with Mezineir pump installed, barely used.
            (I think I'm going to sell/trade the Mezineir assembly for a new stock one)
            lifter retainer bracket with fasteners
            cam retainer ring with fasteners

I will still need the following to complete the block

Oil pump drive rod
            Optispark
            intake manifold with fasteners
            lifters with retainers
            pushrods
            oil pump with pickup welded on(I already have the bolt)

used heads to have ported/rebuilt

For the internals I'm going to get:

Eagle 3.750 cast crank for LT1. They say it is 33% stronger than stock
            set of stock PM rods
            Hyperutectic pistons
            cam... dont know what kind yet
            timing set
            ARP main bolts
            ARP head bolts
            ARP rod bolts
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
            X