Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, engine died and will no longer start.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, engine died and will no longer start.

I was going down the road and my car backfired really loud, now my car will no longer start. The car tries to start normally but the engine will not turn over. Could anyone help me out here, I inspected under the hood and could not find out what is wrong with it. I filled my car up earlier that day so maybe I could have bad gas?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
    I was going down the road and my car backfired really loud, now my car will no longer start. The car tries to start normally but the engine will not turn over. Could anyone help me out here, I inspected under the hood and could not find out what is wrong with it. I filled my car up earlier that day so maybe I could have bad gas?

does the engine crank but not fire? or not crank at all?
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Crank but not fire.

Comment

Mine did that. Just turns. Mine was the fuel pump. Test yours out.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          Mine did that. Just turns. Mine was the fuel pump. Test yours out.
          I thought so at first too but I can still hear the pump priming when I turn the key.

Comment

Sounds like what happened to Craig's car over a year ago. Is the SES light coming on at all or did it before it died? Its almost sounds like its the Opti.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Sounds like what happened to Craig's car over a year ago. Is the SES light coming on at all or did it before it died? Its almost sounds like its the Opti.
              If it turns out to be the Opti then hello Dynaspark. If the problem was something small (like the Opti or coil) then I can fix it myself, if it was something big like the timing chain broke then a mechanic will have to fix it, don't have the time to do it myself. My mechanic is trying to find the problem, if he can't then does anybody want to buy a non working 1995 Z28 Vert with 77K?

Comment

with 77k then its not the timing chain. i am going to put money on the opti, your just about the right mileage to need one too.
                2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
                past rides:
                1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
                2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
                1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
                2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
                1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
                1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
                1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Check the Ignition fuse under the hood in the fuse block. I think its a 10. Mine did the same thing one time and it was just a blown fuse. Popped a new one in and it fired right up.
                  Rob
                  04 GTO

Comment

Turned out it was the coil wire. The coil is corroded so bad the wire is slipping off. When I checked the wire it looked fine so I didn't mess with it but unless the wire is firmly placed on the coil it won't work. I have a new coil on the way and I need to figure out how long of a wire I need for the coil. I think the stock coil wire will be fine for a while, it is just the coil is falling apart.

Comment

That's good to hear. Worst case scenario, you can pick up a replacement coil wire at most speed shops. However, since its getting close to being time for plugs and wires, I'd just do all of them as well. Just my thoughts.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                      X