Rebuild options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild options?

Hey I have a 1994 Z28 Camaro, it has about 155,000 miles on the engine and thought I should rebuild it. Anyway since I am going to be taking out the engine and rebuilding it, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on parts and peices that I could add or replace while its conveniant. I probably will not be rebuilding untill this next winter, so I figured I would start buying parts now and add them during hibernation season.

Depends how you plan to use the engine. Up to the 500HP level, most of the rotating assembly components you have will be fine, including the crank and rods. Assuming you have to clean up the cylinder bores, you will need new pistons. Again, for 500HP of less a set of hypereutectic pistons are fine. Over that, or if you are considering a "power adder" like a blower, turbo or nitrous, you want a forged piston. At that level an upgraded crank and rods will be a good idea. But there is a huge range of prices for these parts.... and there is no reason to spend say $1,400 on a set of Oliver billet rods if you aren't thinking of spraying a 300+-shot

Tell us how you plan to use the engine... what power levels, do you want to do a stroker, will you ever use a power adder, etc.????
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I just like it for street use, but...power is gooooooood. Yes I have thought about a stroker, but I do not have unlimited resources, or upwards of ten grand sitting around. I do not know what it would really cost but I have heard it is spendy. I have also thought about superchargers, don't really like No2 that much, personal preference. Anyway, I drive it alot, I just want a sweet ride with alot of balls. It's my fun car. I want to start building it so that it can eventually handle bigger better upgrades. 500 hp just doesn't seem like enough for a car like that...

Comment

Working...
      X