1 cat or 2 cat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 cat or 2 cat

i looked under my car and saw there is only one cat, but when i look for headers, i can only find headers with two cats.???
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Get the headers, and run dual exhaust all...the...way...back!! It sounds better anyway. Just kidding, but I kinda wonder myself...

Comment

1 cat is way up near the manifold (I believe it's the driver's side)and is hard to see from underneath unless you get the car way up. The one you can see easily is under the passenger seat. 96 will have 2.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Dave is correct. Pop the hood and look at the back of the drivers side manifold. THere is a canister attached to the manifold thats the OTHER cat. Your car has 2 like he states.

Comment

ok, i was wonderin what that was when i was under the car. cant i just get headers and a y-pipe and use the one cat under the pass seat.
          1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Yup you "CAN" do that. But by removing the extra cat you are breaking the law. But what you want to do is called converting to 94-95 header system.

go to www.thunderracing.com they have a 94-95 Header style with a dual cat- y pipe. Very nice setup.

Comment

which headers are you talkin about, i dont see the 94-95 with dual cat,or maybe im staring right at it?
              1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Originally posted by redws6
                which headers are you talkin about, i dont see the 94-95 with dual cat,or maybe im staring right at it?
                http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=52

Scroll down till you see LT1 Headers & Dual-Cat Y-pipe Package

Comment

o the $800 plus setup for the jba? im not rich, im gonna talk to my mechanic see if he will hook me up if i convert to the 94-95 system.
                  1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Originally posted by redws6
                    o the $800 plus setup for the jba? im not rich, im gonna talk to my mechanic see if he will hook me up if i convert to the 94-95 system.
                    Nope...this is what it says if you would have read the next product. It ain't cheap but they are good.

LT1 Headers & Dual-Cat Y-pipe Package

Designed for racing applications on vehicles equipped with headers, the Random DualCat systems offers a significant horsepower advantage compared to a single converter installation, especially for vehicles with modified engines. In addition to allowing the installation of dual catalytic converters on 1993-1995 Camaros and Firebirds, the system makes it possible to install the more efficient 1993-1995 model headers on 1996-1997 model vehicles. Random's DualCat Y-pipe features mandrel-bent 2-1/2" tubing and Random Technology 8100 Series SHF "Bullet" converters.

Thunder Racing offers several package deals that include the Dual Cat Y-pipe and headers for both 1993-1995 and 1996-1997 F-bodies. All of our packages include everything that you need to complete the installation, including our own instructions and helpful hints, written from personal installation experience. Our header/dual cat y-pipe packages include:

* Arizona Speed & Marine 1-3/4" Ceramic Coated Headers
                    * Random Technology Dual-Cat Y-pipe w/ 2 Bullet Catalytic Converters
                    * Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts
                    * Felpro Gaskets
                    * Felpro Header Collector Gaskets
                    * Stage 8 Locking Bolts for Header Collectors
                    * GM Check Valve Adapters (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                    * New Dipstick Tube, Pre-bent and cut for easier installation
                    * Taylor Fire Sleeves
                    * Stainless Steel Tie Wraps
                    * O2 Harness extension (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                    * Longer #8 Plug Wire (Specify stock or Taylor wires)

Comment

thanks man
                      1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Before you select your headers and decide what you want to do about the cat(s), you need to define what emissions requirements (if any) you must meet. Moving the cats, or changing the number of cats is a violation of Federal law. Some states/counties enforce that requirement very rigidly. Others ignore it. You have to tell us what regulations you need to meet, before anyone can accurately answer your question.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                        X