nfb: Mark my words.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave M
    And let's not forget those numbers you quoted Jeff ($300/yr) are over and above a regular Prius, which is already fuel efficient, and not over and above a regular car that might get half of what a regular Prius gets. If you trade in a $20,000 car or small SUV that gets a combined 20 mpg for a $20,000 Prius or Civic Hybrid, and then spend 3,000 modding it to get~80 mpg, you're going to use just 1/4 the gas of your previous car. If you figure about 1,000 miles a month of driving (which is about average) that original car would use 50 gallons of gas, which is $125 worth of gas at $2.50/gallon. The 80 mpg Civic/Prius would use just 12.5 gallons of gas in that same month, or $31.25 worth. That's a difference of 93.75/month, or $1125 every year! It begins to make financial sense then. That's assuming you're not paying anything to finance the vehicle because of the trade-in. Even buying the vehicle outright becomes attractive, assuming you're keeping the car several years. Even without the financial factor, you're saving 450 gallons of gas and pollutants a year!
    All 3 of my cars combined wouldn't equal $20,000 so I have to add that to the mix just to get the gas mileage. All 3 of my cars are paid for.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      All 3 of my cars are paid for.
      And that is a huge savings. Just the interest on a $20K car loan more than makes up for the fuel used. Before someone pipes up with "I have a 0% loan", that means nothing. You paid for it somewhere, most likely from a rebate that was applied to financing rather than paid to you or deducted from the retail sales price. There is no such thing as a free lunch, it is paid for somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        And that is a huge savings. Just the interest on a $20K car loan more than makes up for the fuel used. Before someone pipes up with "I have a 0% loan", that means nothing. You paid for it somewhere, most likely from a rebate that was applied to financing rather than paid to you or deducted from the retail sales price. There is no such thing as a free lunch, it is paid for somewhere.
        I have a 0% loan...cause they were all bought outright or given to me lol
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

It just happen to remember posting this thread, I thought I would kick it back to the top.

Comment

It just happen to remember posting this thread, I thought I would kick it back to the top.
            Strange how relavent this has become nearly three years later.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I filled up the Vette yesterday. $4.02 / gallon for 93 octane.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                I agree with wolfman. People will keep driving them. Same with me and my camaro. Think 15 MPG is going to stop me from driving it?

I was hoping that people would stop driving those things. Maybe then there would be less demand for fuel, and prices would drop. Hopefully a lot of people go the hybrid/nuclear/hydrogen route.
                I stand by this statement.

I still drive the same amount, gas is just costing me twice as much now.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

And my prediction unfolds.............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25679520

"DETROIT - General Motors Corp said on Tuesday it would cut white-collar employment costs by 20 percent, sell up to $4 billion of assets, and borrow at least $2 billion in a bid to bolster its liquidity by $15 billion through 2009.

GM also said it would suspend its common stock dividend in a restructuring driven by high fuel prices, a shift away from trucks and SUVs, and the lowest U.S. industrywide auto sales in a decade."

Comment

And my prediction unfolds.............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25679520

"DETROIT - General Motors Corp said on Tuesday it would cut white-collar employment costs by 20 percent, sell up to $4 billion of assets, and borrow at least $2 billion in a bid to bolster its liquidity by $15 billion through 2009.

GM also said it would suspend its common stock dividend in a restructuring driven by high fuel prices, a shift away from trucks and SUVs, and the lowest U.S. industrywide auto sales in a decade."
                    My Yukon sits at home most of the time. I need it in the winter and family trips, but I leave it at home as much as possible. My wife and I are trying to car pool as much as possible. The Yukon is the last full-size SUV I will own...I am glad I don't have a lot of money in it! There is no way I would buy one new; we won't be able to give these away for peanuts.

I paid $1,600 for Big Blue. New paint, new interior, 1990 front clip and engine, heavy 3/4 ton, tow and stabilizer package, etc. ....stold the thing! Total of $2000 invested and it is lifted with 35" pro comps.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

And 3 years from now after gas prices have stabilized from this round of hikes, SUV sales will reach all time highs, people never learn. It's all happened before.
                      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Yes it's getting ridiculous. Another week or two with rising prices and I can't fill up the Grand Cherokee anymore at the pump using my bank card. They have a $100 limit.

I'll have to do 2 transactions to fill her up.

Attach a couple of funnies I had for a while now. I like the last one.

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                          And 3 years from now after gas prices have stabilized from this round of hikes, SUV sales will reach all time highs, people never learn. It's all happened before.
                          The new CAFE standards will drastically change the SUV. Getting the SUV up to the high 20s mpg is going to be a challenge. I have no doubt there will be sales, but the vehicles will be a lot different then what they are today.
                          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think things are gonna get worse.

High Gas Prices = SUV age comes to an end
                            High housing prices & people abandoning them = Mortgage crisis (banks go out of business)
                            High food prices = less money (if any) towards anything else, starvation in 3rd world countries, famine.

all this stuff is seemingly leading to something nasty if things don't turn around. The high gas prices were only a start, mark my words.
                            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                            pics and info

Comment

If I recall, there is a reason why SUV's are made as heavy as they are: the gas guzzler tax. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a threshold that virtually all large SUV's are over that excludes them from the gas guzzler tax?

Now imagine if the SUV's of today were replaced by lighter weight SUV's, what would the result be? Higher fuel efficiency due to less weight.

What also grinds me is that we must have more fuel efficient vehicles but also safer. The easiest way to make a vehicle more fuel efficient is to make it lighter, but a lighter vehicle is generally less safe against a heavier one.

Demo derbies prove that point everytime. Which car usually wins? More often than not the heavier one. It can at the same time inflict more potential damage and absorb more.

But hey, I am not an expert at safety or fuel efficiency. I just drive as defensively and efficiently as I can.

BTW, nice prediction Joe!
                              1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                              2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                              1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I like my little SUV Honda CRV which I bought in 99. It gets maybe 28 mpg on the interstate and averages pretty high like 25 or so mixed driving. Goes really good in the snow and can carry an engine in the back but can't tow anything really. It is kind of wimpy but works well enough for a DD. Interestingly enoiugh my Corvette displays an average mpg of 20.8 and I have yet to verify that with receipts and odometer, but it does pretty darn good. My TA is pretty bad, but Oh well...

Part of the whole problem with oil is that it is being traded as a commodity by several people before it gets to its destination - each person selling it for more than he paid - that is really mucking things up and causing high prices. Governments are making a percentage in taxes from the gas so they are going to be reluctant to help... They love their windfall no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X