time for a second car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe 1320
    I dunno Jay.....A modded f-body can still be quicker than a stock EVO or Subie. I know you just got yours and by all rights, it's a fine car. Take a step back for a moment and re-read what you posted. I've caught an Evo and a WRXsti at a light and both of them were getting a fine view of my tail lights. Mine isn't stock, but it isn't really a mod monster either. The AWD is a hott to launch, but you must literally abuse the machinery to generate the numbers and then parts durability becomes a serious issue. You're right about AWD gets the nod in off road Rally Racing, Bad weather conditions, etc. But come on Jay, the Evo or the Subaru aren't the end all that immediatly trounce an f-body in all catagories. Remember, as you pointed out before...... there are bone stock LS1s that clipped the quarter in the high 12s, something that I've yet to see happen with a Subie or an EVO. Again, just trying to keep things in perspective. Even with that being said, I would still love to get a WRXsti.
    But you are comparing a modded f-body to a stock EVO or Subie.
    That arguement is silly, because any car can be modded to defeat any other car. It would be possible to build a Ford Festiva that could make your bird look slow. You have to compare the cars apples to apples, or stock to stock.

Also, we f-body owners abuse our machinery whenever we launch hard. Our rear differentials are made of glass. I couldnt even begin to count the posts about broken differentials on this forum. I've even seen reports of our rear diffs locking up while the car is at highway speed and cause terrible accidents.

If the STI was just not so freaking fugly. I could never own a car that terribly ugly. I think it is a disaster of automotive appearance. Why cant they build a car that performs like that and looks good too?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

IMO..I would take the EVO. High 11's can be achieved with bolt ons, minor tuning, and stock turbo. Plus the 4g63 motor is notoriously strong.
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        But you are comparing a modded f-body to a stock EVO or Subie.
        That arguement is silly, because any car can be modded to defeat any other car. .[/I]

?
        No, it's not silly. He asked the question as to why buy a second car and keep what he owned when either one of the new cars he was deciding upon was faster, etc.......when the guy's car wasn't stock to begin with. I am well aware of what you just posted, that's why I posted. Go back and re-read his post.

Besides, I can launch mine all day and not have to worry about frying my clutch. Those cars need a high rpm clutch slip launch and that takes more of a toll than what we do.

Comment

Why cant they build a car that performs like that and looks good too?
          They do, most of us simply cannot afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            No, it's not silly. He asked the question as to why buy a second car and keep what he owned when either one of the new cars he was deciding upon was faster, etc.......when the guy's car wasn't stock to begin with. I am well aware of what you just posted, that's why I posted. Go back and re-read his post.

This is the original poster's list of mods, according to his sig:

"10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake, descreened maf,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount"

He is not faster than a stock STi or Evo if that's all he has.

And I don't own a STi or Evo, personally I wouldn't buy either car (that's probably why I didn't). The car I own is slower than all of the above listed cars - the STi, Evo, and Camaro... so my personal car really has no influence on my input here.

I still see absolutely no point to buying a daily driver that is faster and quicker (or even worthy of any performance comparison altogether) than the car that requires you purchase a daily driver in the first place. The whole concept of that is silly. How would you like to say to someone, "my beater is the faster car"... ? What's the point?
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

But you are comparing a modded f-body to a stock Why cant they build a car that performs like that and looks good too?
              Audi RS4
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Well Jay......

first.....Actually all he said was that he needed a 2nd car. He didn't mention beater or anything else that would leave one to believe that he wanted anything to replace what he had.... be it was faster, slower or anything like that. He merely said it was time to get a 2nd car.

Second, he owns a bird as stated in his signature and not a Camaro.

Maybe I'm just as crazy for having so many cars. Perhaps buying my V6 to use as a daily driver (which is slower and gets better mileage) was a mistake? Or my GN which in reality isn't quite as flawless as my T/A but rips it all to heck.

I just don't get where this thread is going other than he wanted suggestions for a 2nd car. I also fail to see the need to criticize his choice and need for a 2nd car?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                  Audi RS4
                  This is debatable. The looks, not the performance. I think the new Audi line is hideous all together. Why did they feel the need to put that ridiculous grill on the front? To me, it looks like an afterthought... and a bad one at that.

Of course, this is all opinion based anyway.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Joe,

My fault on the Camaro/Bird thing, I should know better.

Anywho... I suppose it's possible that I jumped the gun in assuming this car was to fill the role of a "daily driver", but I doubt it. It is November, he does live in Detroit, the cars he mentioned were AWD, and he does currently drive a V8, rwd car. These are the reasons I assumed that.

But... to take back what I've said so far... DetroitLT1, what are the reasons you are looking for a second car? Maybe we'll be able to better suggest one based on what you are looking to get out of it...

Comment

STi hands down over the EVO. I've had my experiences with teh 4g63 and although the EVOs is alot new than the ones I experienced, all of the experiences were bad. It's a strong motor (can make alot of power) but it isn't reliable at all. I've drieven both and I have to say that the STi is much more fun to drive (especially off road, but we won't get into that). Get an STi and sell the wing to a ricer and get the regular WRX wing. That's my advice
                      '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
                      Stock with an irratic idle...
                      (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

You could always give the Colbalt SS a shot. I just read an article where it was whupping up on a WRX around the track. It performed better in everyway!
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                          You could always give the Colbalt SS a shot. I just read an article where it was whupping up on a WRX around the track. It performed better in everyway!
                          I like this suggestion a lot! The interior in the Cobalt SS is also much nicer than either the Evo or the STi.

Comment

Ya, my mother has a cobalt ss, not nearly enough power for me. Same with the ion redline. I just drove a srt4 with a stage 2 turbo kit, i think that would probubly take my bird. That car was fast. I could pick up one of those for like 12000-14000 for a 2004. I really want the awd, its either awd or rear wheel for me i dont like the way front wheel drive pulls. I will try my best to keep the bird around, granted i still love it. I was hopeing to do heads and cam, headers, tunning, drag radials, subframes, and ect. this winter, and get it repainted. Drive the evo or sti around for a daily driver.
                            1995 LT1 bird
                            10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.
                            275/40/17 Nitto NT555R extreme drags in rear

2005 Dode SRT-4
                            agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!
                            6 dics cd changer, 10 inch MTX fully loaded with moonroof and viper style seats

Comment

Working...
                            X