Workout gurus...I need advice....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout gurus...I need advice....

So say you are doing a workout that calls for 3 sets of ten reps of a particular movement, let's say you do your first set with 100lbs cause you can do ten reps with that. For your second set...after you are already fatigued, should you lower the weight to the point that you can still do the 10 reps, and then lower again for the third set? Or should you just use the same weight throught the three sets and just do as many reps as possible for the second and third set? I am looking to add mass and strength. Can anyone help me here?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
    So say you are doing a workout that calls for 3 sets of ten reps of a particular movement, let's say you do your first set with 100lbs cause you can do ten reps with that. For your second set...after you are already fatigued, should you lower the weight to the point that you can still do the 10 reps, and then lower again for the third set? Or should you just use the same weight throught the three sets and just do as many reps as possible for the second and third set? I am looking to add mass and strength. Can anyone help me here?
    for mass and strength, add 5lbs after your first set and do as many up to 10 as you can...then add 5 more for the third and do as many as you can.

to gain mass/weight, you have to add weight to the sets. keep increasing your weights. most mass/body builders use a 8 rep set, not 10....

i prefer 13 rep sets...starting with less weight and steadily increasing, but i do 6 sets per muscle group...this not only builds the muscle, it cuts them better, and increases endurance... im not real big on getting "lumpy"...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I start light. For example, last thursday when I did chest, my benching was this...

1st set: 130 lbs, 15 reps. You could probably do your first set for a lot of reps, I Just do it to warm up and get a little burn.
      2nd set: 150 12 reps
      3rd set: 160 10 reps
      4th set 175 to failure, which was like 7 or 7.5

This is just the method I use. Wolf is right. For mass, more weight less reps, for strength and tone, more reps, less weight.

Either way, you will see results if you stick to the routine. I don't always do the same amounts. Like, depending on how I feel that day. Some days are better than others. Caloric intake, energy level, caffeine intake, etc... It all factors in. Some days I feel like I get a great workout, other days you just don't have the energy.

Do what I did above and you will see both mass and strength.

But remember, working out is the easy part. It's the diet that is hard. If you are a smaller framed guy like me, you will have to eat a ton of food. 6 meals a day, good foods, no crap, protein, etc... You will not add a lot of mass with just working out alone. You need about 2500 calories a day, and at minimum 1G of protein per pound of body fat. I don't know that by experience but it's what I've read. A lot of body builders say 2G/lb, or at minimum 1.5g/lb.

Good luck dude.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

How long have you been lifting and what is your typical weekly routine?

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanius
          How long have you been lifting and what is your typical weekly routine?
          This is embarrasing, the weight I am lifting anyway. But...I just started working out again ( I used to work out a little bit back about 4 years ago, but not seriously like I am now) I am 30yrs old.....6'5" tall and weigh in at a whopping 179lbs.....up 4lbs from a month ago when I started working out. And I am a HARD gainer.
          I just last night started a new routine that I got off of the internet. (I can't afford a personal trainer) My new routine is here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/work...rcount=30&s2r=

Holy crap what a long link....anyway...yeah...that's it. As for the diet...as I am typing this I am eating a baked potato as one of my 6 meals of the day. I use a meal replacement shake for breakfast and my right-before-bed meal. I think I need to add a bit more food to the diet, but I am trying to eat every 3 hours that I am awake. I am thinking maybe I should get some whey protein for after working out? I dunno. But anyway...if you guys have any input on this for me, I am accepting suggestions as I am a rank amatuer. I am only benching about 95lbs. But that number has increased over the last month too, so at least I am seeing some gains. Let me know what you think!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

When I was on the weight lifting team in high school we'd do stuff somewhat like this:
            Benchpress...
            10 reps of 50%
            8 reps of 60%
            6 reps of 75%
            4 reps of 85%
            2 reps of 90%
            1 rep of 100% (3 times with intervals)
            then reverse your way back down and that would be your chest workout for the day and along with that you'd prolly have bicep, tricep, and back workouts as well that are formulated almost the same way (usually shorter though). We were undefeated by the way
            EDIT: In case you didn't know the percentages are of the maximum weight that you know you can do 1 rep of and no more. Alot of the final sets the spotter would help with throughout but it still gets you that workout reguardless of that help.
            '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
            Stock with an irratic idle...
            (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

there are some awesome suppliments out there that are safe and very effective. i use No-Xplode if you go to www.bodybuilding.com they have the info and best prices on stuff

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Cant Afford a PT!? Here are some tips from one!

3-4 sets of 10-15 repititions will create muscular endurance, once you have reached muscular endurance you can then progress to more specific training like hypertrophy/strength since your a hard gainer, which would involve 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps. I would do a weight that you can do 3-4 sets of, reaching muscle failure in first set at rep 11/12 if your doing 12 reps, or 14/15 if your doing 15 reps, 2nd set your failure should be 2 reps lower(9/10 and 12/13) and so on. I noticed your training program includes no core exercises, I would suggest doing some looking up on core exercises using a stability ball, 60-65% of your strength/power comes from your core, this is what distributes load evenly through out our body's and stabalizes us, mayoclinic.com has some good ones, check it out! Good job on trying to eat 5-6 meals a day, this is good for both fat loss and muscle building(dont know if your trying to burn fat) by doing this u trick your body into believing that your fat supply is sufficient, so it stops storing it, you stop storing fat and your burning it when your exercising equaling better weight loss results, and your constantly supplying your body with nutrients for those muscles. eat at least 1gram of protein for each lb u weigh, drink at least half of your body weight in oz of water PER DAY, and watch the fat and sugar intake. AND BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN TRAINING... POSTURE! Proper alignment of the the musculoskeletal system should be the VERY FIRST STEP in ALL training programs! Postural deviations and muscle inbalances can lead to injury and decrese muscle efficiency, so to get the best results you should take that into consideration. AND ALWAYS do a 5-10 min warm up before every resistance training workout!

This is embarrasing, the weight I am lifting anyway. But...I just started working out again ( I used to work out a little bit back about 4 years ago, but not seriously like I am now) I am 30yrs old.....6'5" tall and weigh in at a whopping 179lbs.....up 4lbs from a month ago when I started working out. And I am a HARD gainer.
                I just last night started a new routine that I got off of the internet. (I can't afford a personal trainer) My new routine is here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/work...rcount=30&s2r=

Holy crap what a long link....anyway...yeah...that's it. As for the diet...as I am typing this I am eating a baked potato as one of my 6 meals of the day. I use a meal replacement shake for breakfast and my right-before-bed meal. I think I need to add a bit more food to the diet, but I am trying to eat every 3 hours that I am awake. I am thinking maybe I should get some whey protein for after working out? I dunno. But anyway...if you guys have any input on this for me, I am accepting suggestions as I am a rank amatuer. I am only benching about 95lbs. But that number has increased over the last month too, so at least I am seeing some gains. Let me know what you think!

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

and another thing, when eating 5-6 meals every 2-3 waking hours, you should be able to go the whole day without ever being hungry, if thats not the case, you need to add more food to your meals

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the advice! I noticed the lack of core exercises too. I am going to work in some leg raises, sit-ups/crunches on one of the balls, and stuff like that into the workouts. I just want to be closer to 200lbs than my present 179 by February. That is my goal anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X