• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jailed for hitting his daughter?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/6658993/detail.html

Police Officer Charged With Hitting Daughter

POSTED: 5:25 pm EST February 1, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:43 pm EST February 1, 2006

ATLANTA -- DeKalb County police officer Darius Johnson was arrested yesterday by Gwinnett County Police after allegedly hitting his 15-year-old daughter.

Officials say Johnson called police Saturday night after noticing two of his police uniforms were missing. According to the police report, Johnson believed his daughter was responsible for the missing uniforms.

Two days later, his daughter went to school where she reported to a counselor that her father had hit her at least seven times in the face and back. According to a report, Johnson's daughter reported to police that her father became irate because he believed she allowed several young men into their home while he was at work. Police noted in the report there was prominent bruising and redness around her eye.

Johnson has been charged with misdemeanor battery. He was released Tuesday on $1,200 bond.

The uniforms have not yet been recovered.

Johnson is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

I'm torn...I used to be beat down when I was a kid. For good reason. If my mom didn't keep my straight, who knows where I'd be now. Personally, I think today's parents are too reluctant to spank their kids.

I mean dang...I don't know how to comment, just wanted to share.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

You can thank the liberals for that one. Now anything more than a "time out" is considered child abuse

We had a whole discussion about this in my psychology class. Everyone in the class feels that it's wrong to so much as smack your kid upside the head lightly, not matter what they do. It's "teaching them not to be violent through violence" according to my classmates. Now personally, I feel that people who abuse their children should be shot. There's a difference between disciplining your child and beating them for amusement. You're obviously not going to beat the heck out of your kid, leave them with black eyes or fat lips or something to that effect. Just instill enough "fear" in them to allow it to sink into their brain that what they did is unacceptable. Imagine if no matter what you did, traveled 140MPH in a 50MPH zone, ran red lights, didn't stop for stop signs, drag raced all over, no matter what you did, you'd only get a warning. That's what it's like when you don't discipline your kids. You can always tell the children that aren't spanked or kicked in the butt every so often when they really mess up. They're the ones telling their parents to shut up and run around in public places (malls, food stores) screaming their lungs out. Usually their parents are somewhere 10 feet behind them saying "no, stop, that's not nice" in a half @$$ed tone as they look everywhere EXCEPT at their kids.

As a kid, I got the point after my mom smacked my face. All it took was one time. If I was acting up, *smack*. That was it for me. Put me right in line. Now, I'm not trying to blow my own horn, but I've never been suspended, had detention, never had a run in with the cops, nothing. I've never even been pulled over. I think an occasional slap on the face might have something to do with that If I have kids, they'll get a spanking when they need it.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Hold on... LIBERALS are getting blamed because a man who punched his daughter in the face is getting prosecuted?????

WTF????????
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
        Hold on... LIBERALS are getting blamed because a man who punched his daughter in the face is getting prosecuted?????

WTF????????
        Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
        Two days later, his daughter went to school where she reported to a counselor that her father had hit her at least seven times in the face and back. According to a report, Johnson's daughter reported to police that her father became irate because he believed she allowed several young men into their home while he was at work. Police noted in the report there was prominent bruising and redness around her eye.
        Where does it say he punched her? It says he hit her. If you smack someone, you hit them. You've clearly never met a teenage drama queen. She can claim he did anything he wanted. He probably smacked her a few times. If your average man PUNCHED a 15 year old girl in the face 7 times, they wouldn't be going to school. They'd be going to the hospital or the morgue.
        Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
        SOLD- Kinda miss it
        SOLD- Good riddance!
        2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

For what good reason does a man EVER need to HIT his daughter in the face and back? 7 times mind you.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

It says he believed she allowed somew boys into the house when he wasn't around. Teenage girl + young guys = trouble. He probably doesn't want people thinking that his daughter is a tramp. He probably felt his name was on the line. How does someone respect a police officer that can't keep his own daughter out of trouble? I'm against hitting women 99.99999% of the time. If I had a good reason to believe that my 15 year old let a bunch of boys into the house, then my uniforms went missing, I'd probably smack her too. Who wants to see their innocent little girl become the next Paris Hilton? Maybe he went overboard, but that's no reason to put the guy in jail. An open hand smack on the back and to the face isn't going to do much more than to remind you not to pull that crap ever again.
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
              He probably doesn't want people thinking that his daughter is a tramp. He probably felt his name was on the line.
              It's a good thing pride is more important than being a good parent.

Man... I vote lock this thread now.

Comment

I don't think pride is an issue here. I doubt it passed through the officer's head. Just as any good parent, he was trying to get across that what she did was wrong, and sometime, a simple talk or timeout don't cut it.

He might have gone a little overboard, but personally, if she really did have guys come in his place and they jipped his uniforms, um, she had it coming. Heck, I used to get spanked for coming home late after school.

Everyone is so afraid to step on other's toes now...

Teachers lost control of their classrooms, not that public schooling is any good to begin with...parents are sueing the crap out of everything imaginable and parents can or won't even spank their kids anymore.

Why do you think the youth is so messed up now and days?

"Hit my child? I never would do such a thing...that's abuse!" Um, okay.

Where's my belt?

I got spanked when I was a kid...I bet anyone older than 23 on this board did too when they were young. 20 and younger probably never seen a welt from a belt...or any physical discipline.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Well just to add my 2 cents, I think beating a child is wrong, but I don't believe in "time outs". I grew up with the odd smack or spanking, heck I even went to a school that still allowed the strap. I got the strap many a time, but I dont feel I'm scared for life. I think you need a firm hand with children. I have an aunt who has raised both her kids by the "time out" system. The daughter is a tramp and has relations with anyone she thinks is half cute or is her boss. The son (7 yo) yells his head off when ever he wants, tells his mome to F off and constantly goes around to everyone, telling them how much better he is and everything he has is than you or yours. I honestly believe that the lack of respect in people and children now days is directly due to the lack of physical punishment. I'm not, and I stress this, avocating beating children. I do think they need a good smack/spanking once in a while though.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

for safe measure, when I said beat down, that's just saying spanked. I never got beat down like a mugging or anything. LOL! My mom is only 5'1'' but she carried on mean belt!

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I said it was a possibility. Not the only possibility. Like LimTeng said, he probably felt he was putting her in her place. Sometimes the "I'm verrrrryy dissappointed in you" lecture doesn't cut the mustard. When parents lecture, the usual response is "They'll get over it". My dad never hit me. Never. As a result, I talked to him like he was one of my friends. My mom didnt' tolerate it. I'm very thankful for that. Had she let me do whatever I wanted to while my only punishment was being sent to my room, I'd be a monster to this day.

Just out of curiousity, why lock the thread? We're just debating. No flaming is going on.
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

For what good reason does a man EVER need to HIT his daughter in the face and back? 7 times mind you.
                        You're assuming he did it. There is such a thing as a setup. Listen to teenage girls talk and rant about their parents for a little bit...you'll see just how far some of them are willing to go to get back at their parents for something. Don't just assume he hit her because she has bruises...a "friend" could've helped her with that.

As far as discipline goes, there are times when a smack is in order I believe. On a 15-yr.-old girl, no. But there is a reason the butt is as padded as it is lol
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I didn't read every word of what everyone wrote... but as I scanned, I didn't notice that anyone commented on the last sentence that Police, in their report, noted that there was PROMINENT bruising around her eye....

Now, I'm not liberal in the least and neither are my parents... I got spankings with the best of um, HOWEVER... spanking a child on the @$$ and hitting her in the eye are two totally different things... My father, or any good father for that matter, (in my opinion) would never hit their DAUGHTER in the eye!! Granted, she should have been punished, but hitting a 15 year old whether on the butt or not... boy or girl... is not the best way to get through to them... by the time they're 15 a kid is an old pro at getting spankin's if they're used to it... I'm thinking that learner's permit and driver's license tests are coming up pretty soon.... HMMMM?!?! I think that's what her punishment would have been if she were my child... to get her driver's license would stick with her a lot longer than any spanking!!!

If child abuse laws are getting stricter then parents are just going to have to get creative... my parents always did and it stung a lot more than any physical pain!!!!
                          '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            You're assuming he did it. There is such a thing as a setup. Listen to teenage girls talk and rant about their parents for a little bit...you'll see just how far some of them are willing to go to get back at their parents for something. Don't just assume he hit her because she has bruises...a "friend" could've helped her with that.

As far as discipline goes, there are times when a smack is in order I believe. On a 15-yr.-old girl, no. But there is a reason the butt is as padded as it is lol

I was going to say the exact same thing. You're all assuming he did it. If she got yelled and screamed at enough times and wanted to get back at her mean old dad, that'd be a heck of a way to do it. Knowing he's a cop and any type of domestic violence bars him from owning or operating a gun... one accusation/conviction and his career is done.

If he did do it, there is no reason you need to discipline your child by hitting them in the face 7 times. Spanking them 7 times is fine by me, but you do not hit a child in the face, and not 7 times.
                            Dave M
                            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by zebragirl83
                              Now, I'm not liberal in the least and neither are my parents... I got spankings with the best of um, HOWEVER... spanking a child on the @$$ and hitting her in the eye are two totally different things... My father, or any good father for that matter, (in my opinion) would never hit their DAUGHTER in the eye!! Granted, she should have been punished, but hitting a 15 year old whether on the butt or not... boy or girl... is not the best way to get through to them... by the time they're 15 a kid is an old pro at getting spankin's if they're used to it... I'm thinking that learner's permit and driver's license tests are coming up pretty soon.... HMMMM?!?! I think that's what her punishment would have been if she were my child... to get her driver's license would stick with her a lot longer than any spanking!!!

If child abuse laws are getting stricter then parents are just going to have to get creative... my parents always did and it stung a lot more than any physical pain!!!!

That's where knowing your child becomes key. What's most important to them? Taking away something they "can't live without" will go a long way to making them think twice before doing it again.
                              Dave M
                              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                              X