Worst High Speed Chase Crash Ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TraceZ

The idea of a GPS device shot from a chasecar is stupid. All a criminal would need to do is wait until the police are gone and stop to remove it. Throw it to the ditch and continue on.
    Chances are the average dumb*** who is stupid enough to run from the law won't know the transmitter has been stuck to the car. Besides, once that has been fired and it sticks..... the law enforcement officers can simply follow at a safe distance while they call in the helicopter for overhead tracking. That doesn't mean they hang back and give the suspect opportunity to stop the car, get out, search for the transmitter, peel it off, ditch it, get back in and drive off.

Comment

If you're going to shoot something at the car that will stick to it, shoot something that will disable it like overpowering the CPU shutting it down.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        The problem with making a policy of "no chase" is as soon as anybody and everybody knows that everybody will run even if it is from a simple traffic ticket because they know they won't be chased. Especially if you drive a fast car like a F-Body. LOL
        Yeah, I know. If you are sure they dont have your license plate number, hit the gas and say goodbye.

You cant outrun the radio, though. They can call out with your direction and have you intercepted up ahead. I'm surprised the police dont do more of this. Just block roads and create a huge traffic jam, then get the bad guy on foot.

Cops are great at creating traffic jams around here, why not use their tallent to their advantage? I suppose they are afraid of an armed criminal deciding to take shots at bystanders who get in the way.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Cops are great at creating traffic jams around here, why not use their tallent to their advantage?
          That's good! LOL
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yeah, I know. If you are sure they dont have your license plate number, hit the gas and say goodbye.

You cant outrun the radio, though. They can call out with your direction and have you intercepted up ahead. I'm surprised the police dont do more of this. Just block roads and create a huge traffic jam, then get the bad guy on foot.

Cops are great at creating traffic jams around here, why not use their tallent to their advantage? I suppose they are afraid of an armed criminal deciding to take shots at bystanders who get in the way.

That's not as easy as you think. Most chases involve a lone officer, not the entire departments like you see on the freeways of L.A. It would take an amazing amount of manpower to block off all escape routes or cause traffic backups. They could always ditch the car and run on foot anyway. And having the liscense plate number is of no use if the car is stolen.

The best answer is to come up with safer ways to stop the pursuits. Electronic means have been tried, the right device just hasn't come along. Stop sticks was a big help, b ut unfortunately not every department can afford enough of them, and you still have to be sure of the suspect's direction of travel.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Police should not be allowed to chase unless there is a life or death reason to do so.

by chasing traffic offenders or theives they are only creating an unnecessary hazard to the general public's safety.
              Agreed 100%. It is absolutely senseless to chase someone at high speeds endangering everyone else on the road....especially once the officer's adrenaline overcomes his rational thinking.

The idea of a GPS device shot from a chasecar is stupid. All a criminal would need to do is wait until the police are gone and stop to remove it. Throw it to the ditch and continue on.
              I think as long as the Police helicopter has a tracking device, it would be effective. But, I think the idea of some kind of EMP device to disable the electronics is going to be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                I think as long as the Police helicopter has a tracking device, it would be effective. But, I think the idea of some kind of EMP device to disable the electronics is going to be the solution.
                Most departments don't have access to any type of aircraft. Not every department has the budget of the LAPD, b ut every department does have high speed chases.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                  Most departments don't have access to any type of aircraft. Not every department has the budget of the LAPD, b ut every department does have high speed chases.
                  Oor little town of 45,000 has it's own heli.

The point is.....even if the police department does not have it's own aircraft, they should always reserve the capacity to call upon a neighboring larger city that does have one. I don't think it's accurate to say most police departments do not have access to an aircraft. Especially once it turns into a Felony pursuit.

This is why some sort of electronic disabling device (ECM or something similar) seems to be an answer to this high speed chase problem.

Comment

OK... so according to break.com... this guy somehow, miraculously, SURVIVED.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      OK... so according to break.com... this guy somehow, miraculously, SURVIVED.
                      Just to go to Jail. By the amount of damage his body must have taken I think he will serv his sentance in the Hospital

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                      6.2L/382.97 ci
                      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                      WCT-5 speed
                      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                      Boss MS 18" Rims
                      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                      Custom Dual exhaust
                      1LE upgrade
                      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror