more on the 2009 gto and...NO firebird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
    "hey bandit fred wants to kno why were doing this again?" "cuz tis never been done be4" "thats good with me and fred"
    what in the sam hill r u tawkin about?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
      what in the sam hill r u tawkin about?
      It's a quote from Smokey and the Bandit....
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
        the source of the problems stem from when GM stupidly created the Saturn brand .. that brand blood-sucked out all the life of the existing brands namely Oldsmobile

But I hold hope that GM knows they screwed up- At and are giving us RWD performance in 2009

I'd have to disagree with you that Saturn took sales away from Olds. Olds catered more towards the older buyer who needed affordable rides. They had soft suspensions and creature comforts. Saturn was targeted towards to young, and the new couples starting out. Saturn was targeted more towards those who would think of buying a camry/carolla or accord/civic than an olds. I think they were differentiated very well. If anything, it probably took sales from Pontiac. I don't have figures to back this up, but it just my hypothysis.

I think GM needs to differentiate the GTO and Camaro too, when they come out. They can't have one cannabalizing sales from the other, as neither is enough of a volume seller to be able to withstand that kind of sales pressure. As someone else said, it'd be good if the GTO were bigger, more luxurious, offered with a V8 only, and was seen as just a step below the Corvette. Targeted towards older people who can't affird a Corvette or who need a backseat. Much like it is now but in a better package. The Camaro could be the more affordable option, stripped down a little, lighter, smaller than the GTO, and targeted at a younger crowd.

This is where GM needs to do its homework all across its brands. Using the same platform to save costs is great, but you need to differentiate your products so one doesn't canabalize sales from the other.

Build a great vehicle, make it a better value than what your competitors are offering, and advertise it so customers know it's a better value, and you'll sell all the cars you can build. There are no secrets in this business. GM just hasn't been sticking to the formula lately, for a variety of reasons.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I'm hoping Mr. Lutz is right, because along about 2010 I should FINALLY have the girls out of school and have some money to spend on things other than tuition. The concept pix of the GTO made my mouth water.

But, I want to keep my TA, too.
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
            I'm hoping Mr. Lutz is right, because along about 2010 I should FINALLY have the girls out of school and have some money to spend on things other than tuition. The concept pix of the GTO made my mouth water.

But, I want to keep my TA, too.

well, for now, get a bib................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
            X