Camaro comparison 98ss and 01z28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G Fry33
    I went and checked it out today and it looked pretty clean. where is the build sticker located? i thought they were on the inside of the drivers door but there wasnt one there. Can i run the VIN to see if its a real SS?
    There were no stickers inside the drivers side door jamb?

There should be at least 2, even if it is not an SS. If it is an SS, there will be more stickers with the SLP logo on them.

No stickers would indicate to me that door was replaced.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

GM brought the SS model in house around the '98 model year. That's probably why you don't see SLP stickers. I'd check the build codes on the inside of the glove compartment door. There's a link from f-body.org that should list what each code is. Still, be careful...there are few mock SS's out there. You could also look at the part number on the front swaybar to confirm it's a 32mm and not a standard 30mm.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I'd probably go Z28... here's betting it's a bit faster (for reasons mentioned above).
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
          GM brought the SS model in house around the '98 model year. That's probably why you don't see SLP stickers. I'd check the build codes on the inside of the glove compartment door. There's a link from f-body.org that should list what each code is. Still, be careful...there are few mock SS's out there. You could also look at the part number on the front swaybar to confirm it's a 32mm and not a standard 30mm.
          I'm pretty sure the build sticker is in the drivers door jamb on those newer models. I purchased a drivers door off a wrecked LS1 SS and it had all the stickers on it from SLP as well as the build sticker with all the RPO codes on it.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Edmunds states that GM took over production of SS's in 1998. Inside the glovebox door...check the RPO codes. WU8 is the one for the "SS Performance/Appearance Package".
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
              Edmunds states that GM took over production of SS's in 1998. Inside the glovebox door...check the RPO codes. WU8 is the one for the "SS Performance/Appearance Package".
              Here are some pictures of the doorjamb of a 2001 SS Camaro. You can see the RPO sticker and the SLP content sticker. The cars were still sent to SLP for some options. I'm not sure if every SS would have a SLP sticker, or just the ones that got the extra goodies.

Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

My 00 Z28 has GM stickers for build codes and tire info on the end of the driver's side door. My 93 Formula had this sticker in the glove box. I can't say for sure where it should be on a 98' but at a minimum the tire sticker should be there.

If it is not - then it is a huge sign the door was replaced or repainted. The stickers are next to impossible to get replacements for, so if a shop is careless during body work they are typically gone for good.

I don't think it is a big deal in all honesty, because when buying used cars having a small accident with a new fender or door is not really a deal breaker for me. But it does mean you need to be a little more careful about it.

Get the VIN and take it into a GM service department. Offer to pay if you have to, but they can definitely run the VIN and pull up both the service history (anything done at GM) and the option list - including the SS code. As long as they are not busy and you are nice about it - they will usually do this.

I highly recommend this step to anyone buying a GM vehicle because you will at least see what was done to the car while it was under warranty, and if by chance the owner was a dealer sucker you could see the entire history.

There are also tell tale signs about the SS hood and spoiler that make fakes easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. I don't know them well enough myself to say but others can chime in.

A real SS hood/spoiler costs about $1,600. Fakes cost $600.

Comment

Working...
                X