Death of the F-body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the F-body

I just got home from our local car show.

Lots of Mustangs - all generations. Lots of newer mustangs, 1 Roush GT, several late 80s early 90's GTs, etc. Lots of imports, many looked like they might actually be somewhat quick. Lots of Corvettes, but no C6.

F-bodies? no. I had the only one in the show with exception of a red 68 RS.

What is up with that? Not a single Firebird, not any generation. Only two Camaros? This makes me sad. Maybe the f-body really is dead in people's hearts.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

i kno what u mean at the carshow everweekend here in danbury there was only 4 of us, but like 6 mustangs in a row, with like 15 totall. but its nice to know im not like every1 else. all the fox bodie stangs look the same
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Don't worry, the f-body fanatic is still out there. Heck, most of them are right here on this board. Granted that it wasn't represented at the meet you were at, I'm sure there are plenty of us that wished we could be out there.

We are far and in between sometimes, but I feel we're the pinnacle of the muscle car crowd. When I see rows of stangs, it's like "eh"...Vettes, "cool"...rows of Camaros and Birds, "Oh yeah".

We're out there...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Who wants to get lost in the crowd? Not me, I'd rather have something a little on the wild side, not originally designed for 'girls' and it's not too bad to have something that can no longer be bought new.

That's not to say that I don't have a healthy respect and envy of the guys that own supercharged Cobras and maybe the new GT500. Those would be my peers, not the average Mustang GT. There's also the balls out 5.0 guys but they are still too common for me, and most of their cars are ugly. The only bad thing about being the only one there is no one to hang with.

Comment

The way I see it is...until GM makes a Camaro or Firebird thats in the same ballpark with a Mustang pricewise, there will always be more Mustangs out there. Its crazy for GM to think that they will sell more Fbodies than Ford sells Stangs, especially when the Fbodies are usually 6 grand more than the Stangs. I was raised hardcore GM loyal...so I wouldnt buy a Mustang if it were 10 grand less. I will always keep my Firebird, mainly because until GM gets real and gives the new ones a price that reasonable, its the only one I'll be able to afford. I also think they need to get away from option groups. example: if you want this option, you have to get this one too. And how about a balls to the wall all out horsepower beast...no power windows, or power seats, no extra anything just like the good old days. For the sake of safety I CAN understand ABS and power steering...but other than that, give us the body, a seat, and one hellacious motor.
          LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            The only bad thing about being the only one there is no one to hang with.
            No kidding. I went to the show alone, and had the only LT1 powered vehicle there. The only LS1 powered vehicle was a SSR.

I had nobody to hang with.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Eh... Ford = Slow (kidding)

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...kc8vapf8p9n4rz

I OWNED this $170,000.00 Ford GT at the track................ for a good 2.5 seconds Crappy run for both of us.

I guess to each his/her own... I am hooked on F-Body's, it seems like everybody and their grandma has a new mustang. Too dang many on the road. F-Body's are more scarce, and more noticable to me.
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
                Too dang many on the road. F-Body's are more scarce, and more noticable to me.
                Oh yeah, I still get plenty of thumb-ups and waves.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yeah, I too, am sick of seeing all the Mustangs on the road. Everytime Im out and about I try to keep an eye out for other Fbodies, especially if theyve been hopped up or modified somehow. Its pretty cool to see what everybody else is doing to their rides.
                  LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Mustangs and Hondas. Enough is enough already.

I just watched an epicode of Horsepower TV where they talked about their budget Honda buildup. So far they swapped in a bigger V-Tech motor, did intake, exhaust and a shot of nitrous.... the grand total. . . . a whopping 195 FWHP.

Why do these fools waste their time with that crap? With just a catback and exhaust my 12 year old LT1 puts 270 HP to the wheels. If I was going to go through the trouble to swap in a different motor it had better get at least 370 HP to the rear wheels. They go through all the trouble for 195??? Come on!!
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

I have the only vehicle (not just car) at my school even with a V8,my whole town is devoid of domestics (let alone ponys or f-bodies) Amongst the legions of beamers, ricers, benz's and mini-vans iam complelty alone up here, I hang out with my buddies who have old Z24 cavaliers and just wait till they save up enough dough to buy F-bodies (then when they do we will conquer a timmy's or mcdonalds parking lot for ourselves )
                      1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
                      -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
                      1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
                      -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Comment

What is up with that? Not a single Firebird, not any generation. Only two Camaros? This makes me sad. Maybe the f-body really is dead in people's hearts. [/QUOTE]
                        That just makes us more rare. More envied. HA!! I'm sure all of us now the feeling, but I get so many looks and compliments in my stock '96 T/A. O.K., not just cause I'm blonde, but they really like the car. Too many 'stangs out there to compliment, everyone and their mother owns one.
                        1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something?

As long as the f-body existed in the first place, I will be a hard core enthusiast of the platform that started life in 1967. Whether or not it continues in the present or not is a moot point. It existed in the first place, it has been a source of enjoyment for millions of people, you can't erase what has already happened. The pseudo enthusiasts who are interested just for the short duration of their ownership have never had as strong a drive and dedication as the true enthusiast...........the one with a passion for the car and what it's all about, not to mention the friendships that we aquire during our experiences that keep us going.

I'll never be able to erase the feeling I had back in my youth of stomping the throttle on my 67 RS/SS Camaro solid lifter 396 4 speed, 4:10 posi. It would light them up in the first three gears and the fuel mileage was more like a controlled leak. It was the experience remembered that cannot be tarnished by politics and economics of the present. Nor can it be tarnished by the flood of other products to be consumed by the masses.

Even though the platform isn't sold new, I still manage to keep a few of them around. They perform beautifully with their simple design and good performance. To even suggest that the F-body is dead is not even in the right universe of thinking. I suppose the day that I can consider the f-body dead, is the day that for me it truely will be. It's the day that my body and brain finally wear out and I depart this world, still leaving behind something that cannot die....... A Legend.

Comment

Sure, the f-body will always have its cult following. My point is that at a city car show with thousands of people and over 200 cars nobody had one and nobody was interested in talking about them. That is the first time I've seen anything like that happen. There were a bunch of F-cars last year, I wonder what happenned to them?

I get the feeling our cars mainstream appeal is dwindling. Hopefully the release of the new 5th gen will jump start interest in the earlier generations again. No matter what happens, I will always love mine. They don't know what they are missing.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:

Comment

I have and always will be partial to the f-body.

Down here in San Antonio during the Summer, we have a big car meet the last Saturday of every month. It's called Hot August Nights just likr the big one in Reno but no affiliation. There a BUNCH of f-bodies that show up. Mostly 1st and 4th Gens. Alot of them are wicked fast too.

The f-body ain't dead in Texas!

But, we cannot knock Ford or Honda or any of the 4 banger manufacturers. Ford hit a home run with the Mustang and it's selling like hotcakes. It's as simple as that. Kudos to Ford. I have driven and owned Mustangs. They can be just as fun to own and drive as a f-body.

Honda has also produced an economical and outstandingly reliable import. Kudos to Honda.

I used to turn my nose down to all these import guys and all these newer turbo 4 cylinder cars. But, I eventually realized that was just plain ignorant and arrogant to think that way. Sure there are the morons out there that own imports, but then again there are just as many morons that own muscle cars as well. There are respectable import cars out there, and there are respectable import owners.

I look at all people that have an interest in cars with respect and an open mind......because after all, they are car guys(and gals) just like us.

Comment

Working...
                              X