article on why the new camaro will fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raroZ28
    i dont understand. he's comparing the gto failing to the new camaro failing. That GTO failed for obvious reasons. the camaro is a fresh design, very nice. The GTO was a rebadged Holden, big difference. There was no real integrity put into that car. They used the GTO name to make the car sell. I wouldn't even call it a "GTO."

That new camaro isn't going to fail.
    I would argue that the GTO failed because it's boring and plain looking more than anything. I looks like a Grand Prix. It's basically a factory production sleeper. Corvettes, Mustangs, F-bodies and other American muscle cars are aggressive looking. You know that they could probably whoop you if they really wanted to. The GTO looked like every other car you see on the road. I think it would have done much better if they had simply made its looks match its performance.

Can you honestly compare this-
    to this?-

The ram air hood made it stand out a little more, but it still looked like a Grand Prix. When someone puts a ram air hood on their Grand Prix, it does make it look cooler, but it still lacks the "bring it on", head turning quality. It didn't look aggressive enough to really turn on muscle car fans, didn't have the appeal of a luxury car, it didn't really stand out in any catagory, no matter how well it performed. These are my thoughts on the subject anyhow.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I'm a fan of the GTO. It was never meant to be the aggressive looking monster that is the WS6. It's a much more refined muscle car. I like the interior in my T/A, but I like the GTO interior waaaaay more.

Sure, the looks of the GTO are a bit "boring" I guess, but I don't view that as being a totally bad thing. Not every fast car out there needs to show it. I prefer an aggressive styling, but I can appreciate the subdued looks of another car.

I still stand by my three year old statement. The new GTO would make a stunning convertible.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
        I would argue that the GTO failed because it's boring and plain looking more than anything. I looks like a Grand Prix. It's basically a factory production sleeper. Corvettes, Mustangs, F-bodies and other American muscle cars are aggressive looking. You know that they could probably whoop you if they really wanted to. The GTO looked like every other car you see on the road. I think it would have done much better if they had simply made its looks match its performance.

Can you honestly compare this-
        to this?-

The ram air hood made it stand out a little more, but it still looked like a Grand Prix. When someone puts a ram air hood on their Grand Prix, it does make it look cooler, but it still lacks the "bring it on", head turning quality. It didn't look aggressive enough to really turn on muscle car fans, didn't have the appeal of a luxury car, it didn't really stand out in any catagory, no matter how well it performed. These are my thoughts on the subject anyhow.
        I agree 100%. The GTO has absolutely zero character when it comes to looks. I don't care how well it performs. From a performance enthusiasts stand-point, yeah, it's a great car. But it's just flat out boring and lame looking. But of course, that's just opinion. Too bad for GM and the GTO most of the public shared the same opinion of it.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I agree 100%. The GTO has absolutely zero character when it comes to looks. I don't care how well it performs. From a performance enthusiasts stand-point, yeah, it's a great car. But it's just flat out boring and lame looking. But of course, that's just opinion. Too bad for GM and the GTO most of the public shared the same opinion of it.
          OOOOHHHH! Kerm is going to so hate you!!!!!!!

Comment

If it was in my price range, i would by the GTO in a heart beat....assuming the new camaro wasnt going to come out. I actually really like the looks of the GTO, especially the ram air hooded with the appearance package one. IMHO
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

You guys are missing the point that the GTO never was meant to be something that stood out, even when it began in 64. Heck, back then, it wasn't even its own model, it was an option to the Tempest. Once the F-body began in 67, it was in a completely different class from the F-body regardless of year, and still is with the new one. Comparing a GTO to an F-body is like comparing a BMW 3-series to an F-body...you're comparing two different classes of cars.

The GTO fit the bill for what it was built for. Though a lot like to think so, the GTO is NOT a competitor to the Mustang. It outclasses it in everything but looks, but it is a different class of car. This is why GM is rushing to bring back the F-body. Not because the GTO is failing, but because there still exists the gap of a Mustang competitor. The GTO was being used as a "stub", so to speak, to help fill this gap for the moment.

If I had the money, I'd own one in a heartbeat. For all the negatives that it gets for the looks, the comfort and performance more than make up for it. Had they been priced a little lower, the GTO probably would have been more of a it, regardless of the looks.

As for the "spaceship-like" body, look at the rest of the GM line-up. All of Caddy is chisled, Saturn isn't too far behind and the pickups are pretty squared-off too. Yet most people clamor for them, including members here. I remember how much oo-ing and awe-ing was going on here when the Sky was first announced. Heck, look at the 1st Gens. Those are by-no-means nearly as smooth or aerodynamic as the 4th Gens, but I have yet they remain extremely popular.

The Camaro concept is a modern take on the 69, plain and simple. Yes, the wheels are too big and the yellow stripe on the interior should go. But, its got all the major cues the 69 did. Who wouldn't want a 69, given the chance? If retro is the thing for now, Chevy did a dang good job nailing it with the concept.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

while I think the author is a tool for the most part, he does raise the valid point that although the returning retro pony car is hot now, with the Mustang, particularly the GT350 and GT500 and in concept with the Challenger and Camaro......but how will the public feel in 2 years?
                Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                  OOOOHHHH! Kerm is going to so hate you!!!!!!!
                  uh oh, he's gonna throw a tennis racket at me and whip out his gat!!!
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
                    while I think the author is a tool for the most part, he does raise the valid point that although the returning retro pony car is hot now, with the Mustang, particularly the GT350 and GT500 and in concept with the Challenger and Camaro......but how will the public feel in 2 years?
                    history repeats itself. Sooner or later every style returns. Who would have thought that 70's bell bottom jeans would return.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      history repeats itself. Sooner or later every style returns. Who would have thought that 70's bell bottom jeans would return.
                      things usually take longer than a couple of years to be cool again. just hope GM isn't a day late and a dollar short for this.
                      Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Comment

uh oh, he's gonna throw a tennis racket at me and whip out his gat!!!

LMAO, thats great...i'll bring the football. sorry ken don't hurt me
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          I hope disco doesn't return.

And, Joe, If I happen to see you running around in a raccoon coat and a pork pie hat and saying 23 skidoo, I'm calling the guys in the little white coats...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                            I hope disco doesn't return...
                            you and me both, brother!

we worked very hard to drive the stake through disco's heart back in the 70's. I had several "Disco Sucks" T-shirts and wore them proudly.

Long live Rock-n-Roll and Chevy's Camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
                              you and me both, brother!

we worked very hard to drive the stake through disco's heart back in the 70's. I had several "Disco Sucks" T-shirts and wore them proudly.

Long live Rock-n-Roll and Chevy's Camaro.
                              Obnoxious as it was, it was still a hundred times better than rap and rap just won't go away for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X