ebay and paypal fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
    You guys are not going to believe this. Another fraud!!! I relisted my laptop last night with a buy-it-now option. I specifically state very strict terms regarding shipping only to Paypal confirmed addresses. Well, this morning somebody purchased it. I was excited until I saw his feedback. 0. He is a new user as of yesterday. He pulls some BS story (with choppy English) that his daughter lost her laptop, and he's in England, while she's in Texas. I would need to ship it to TX via his UPS account. By this time, I know he's fraud. But to verify it, I look at his current bids/auction winnings and guess what. He's got several laptops he has won since last night, totalling over $6000. He obviously is in Texas and hijacked a Paypal account in England. This is utterly ridiculous. I've had enough of selling on ebay.

hmmm, wonder what part of Texas? ohhwell

Comment

Three time's a charm!! This time it's some moron who wants me to ship it to his "daughter" in Nigeria, and he'll ship it via his Fedex account. Even when I stated no international shipping, no shipping to anywhere but a confirmed Paypal address, and nobody with little or no feedback. Hahahaha, I can't believe how stupid these people are. I am going to remove my Buy it Now option, heavily monitor the bidding, and zap all those fraud morons. Or use "preapproved" bidders only.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

My ex had that happen to him. He had sold a $800 camera on ebay to someone in Russia and I think the person that the money supposedly came from was a woman in Georgia. He didnt know anything about it being fraud until about 6 months or more later when Paypal notified him. Paypal wasnt very helpful to him neither and actually put a $800 hold on his account. I'm not sure what the outcome was.

And the recent one you spoke of is very similar to the scams that are running around on Craigslist! I had this happen to me now about 7 times with all the same scenario. First time I Was selling a antique desk and someone from NY emails me saying he has a buyer in England who is interested in the desk. They'll send me $3000 over what I'm asking for in a money order, I go cash it and take out what I asked for then send the remaining to him. Of course the money order is fake but a very good one as they have fooled many banks. Eventually the bank finds out and your out $3000 and fees. I then had posted a room for rent a few months later and got an email from a girl in England who was moving to the states...blah blah.same story but this time she says her boss owes her money and he will send a person in Canada a money order then send it to me then I sent her the money. Her name was Sarah by the way and she was moving July 15th

Well I figured I'd play with the one later on...past July 15th. Again the email had alot of broken English and poor grammer. I wrote back to this person from a gmail account rather then my yahoo and told her this story that we were Amish and had no running water and took baths when it rained. Also said of course no electric and she'd have to tend to her chores etc. She'd made a comment that she modeled as a living and I told her that she'd have to find another job as we shun such things and if she didnt have a car she was out of luck as we only had horse and buggies. I also told her she'd have to share a bedroom with 4 other people in a twin bed. They replied back but this time signed it Tolani and thanked me for agreeing to share the room with them and repeated almost verbatum the same schpeel but now they were moving here August 15th. I wrote back again and noted that she had changed her name to Tolani and not Sarah and asked which it was. I also stated that if she ever did come here she'd better take a course in English because it was horrible and so was her grammer. I also asked whether she was from Nigeria or England and noted why didnt she move when she said. Then I asked why she felt the need to repeat herself yet again and there was no need for it.

BLAH BLAH BLAH. I also told them to send the money order here at work to Caterina Hatteras althoght I'd signed my name Mordechai. Never did get the money order...that was 3 weeks ago

2000 Formula
        Custom flame job, SLP Headers & ORY-pipe, Whisper Lid, Free Air Mod, Ported MAF, Loud Mouth Cat Back, BMR LCA's, Other stuff that Im too lazy to list right now

Comment

Laptops are a big fraud magnet on Ebay for some reason. My cousin listed two different laptops and had two separate incidents.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Crooks

Get rid of one thief and theres another to take his place. I hope the first one gets horsewhipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
              Or use "preapproved" bidders only.
              Yup. You can decline any bid you choose.

Comment

Well, I ran a pre-approved bidder auction only as you guys suggested. And guess what, I made way more than even the scammers would buy! So here's the history of me listing it:
                1) $731 - scammer who hi-jacked an ebay and paypal account
                2) $900 buy it now - scammer who hi-jacked a paypal account and created a new ebay account to try to match it
                3) $900 buy it now - same as #2.

4) $947 - real bidder!

I'm almost certain it's finally a real bidder. Shipping to a confirmed Paypal address and accept signature confirmation. Which means, even if he is a fraud, this transaction qualifies for "Paypal Seller Protection" since all the criteria is met. Paypal will eat any cost if they do a chargeback for some reason, and I will keep the money. I'm pretty happy I ended up selling it for a really good price!
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Glad to know that you made more money than you had expected...but damn, thats alot of aggrivation for the extra $47 bux....it WOULD be worth it however if for the 47 dollars ebay let you beat the crap out of the 3 cons that was try to dupe you.
                  LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Working...
                  X