Double kill last night!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raroZ28
    See, I think that's somewhat of a problem. If you can't afford the car on your own, you're not ready to own it. When you buy a car on your own, pay the bill on your own, and have it insured under your name (as a young male) and pay the insurance, you have a whole new respect for the car and what you do in it. I never street raced my car for this reason. Most of the young guys in nice cars you see out street racing have no respect, and they know they won't suffer much consequence, unless they die or kill someone else.

I have way too much to lose to wreck my car or hurt somebody else in MY car.
    WELL SAID!

I pay for everything on my car. I got it cheap during my freshman year of college because of the looks, not so much the speed (hence V6). I've never done something very risky with my car because I'd be screwed it I messed it up. I put alot of time, work, and money into it and I'll be darned if Im gonna let a rush of testosterone mess it up. However, I do get a rush once in a while to creep up the speed. Nothing insane just a tad above the speed limit...the only ticket I've ever had was not stopping "completely" at a stop sign at 12AM (stupid campus police). I think people (like raro) who own and pay for their car have more respect for it. Just like those who pay their lives...

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

lol, he was talking to strkt when he was going on and on about litteracy and how it appalls him.

And I didn't mean anything by the HS comment. I was assuming you were like 18 and still in HS. I didn't mean anything by it.
      haha i know i was just pullin your leg... this is the first time ive ever had a hot thread so i figured id have fun with it haha...
      2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
      current mods.....
      3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
      1979 10th anniversary ta
      yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

Comment

See, I think that's somewhat of a problem. If you can't afford the car on your own, you're not ready to own it. When you buy a car on your own, pay the bill on your own, and have it insured under your name (as a young male) and pay the insurance, you have a whole new respect for the car and what you do in it. I never street raced my car for this reason. Most of the young guys in nice cars you see out street racing have no respect, and they know they won't suffer much consequence, unless they die or kill someone else.

I have way too much to lose to wreck my car or hurt somebody else in MY car.

My friend that had the 01 red SS was like this. He had no respect for the car, always racing, etc... His parents insurance on the car went to $600/month and they were forced to sell it.

well put raroZ28, ive never had a ticket and never been an an accident because of this reason.(knock on wood)... especially now that im in college, im hurtin for dinero!...
        current mods.....
        3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Great points by Raro...

The one thing I have to add is there shouldn't just be respect for the car that was bought. It should be for other people's lives. I've noticed many street racers get the mentallity that they are somehow "skilled drivers".

That's absolutely laughable. No 16, 17, 18... even 30 year old is skilled enough to avoid a potential problem. As far as I know, most street racers aren't pro drivers, although they feel differently.

I hear responses all the time that going to the track costs too much. Yet, all those mods weren't free. A ticket and impoundment will certainly cost way more than a track night. At the track, you can race safely and legally, all while making it official with a time slip.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

i agree Steel.
            it is better to go to the track and get the time slip to be official. i feel that i probably wont be street racing much if at all with my car partially because it will be too strong and way to unpredictable on the street, but i'm pretty sure i'll be guilty of a burn out every now and then, or maybe a short blast to 60 or 70 to feel the pull. but i'm gong to keep it on the track as much as possible. i don't mean to be the bad guy again but you see i'm one of those people that everyone is so quick to stereotype. my car was given to me as a grad gift when i graduated my first college, i don't have really any of the investment in my car and while i'm in school my parents pay for my insurance on my vehicles i have alot of respect for my parents and love them very much for helping me in school. however, i've done every mod. to my T/A myself, (i had a good older friend help on the engine build) "I got the car completely stock", and i'll be darned if anyone says that i have no respect for my car. i have just as much respect for my car as anyone else does. i may run my car hard but i take care of it and strengthen it at every chance that i get, and i do it right to the T. just because i don't pay for it all doesn't mean that i don't respect it. not everyone sould be automatically put in the stereotype above. although i do know exactly what you are talking about you see one of my best friends was that way. i mean i had been friends with this guy since kindergarden all the way through my sophmore year in college, there's only so much that you can take of someone taking advantage of you and all out no respect of any other person, vehicle's being his or anyone elses. needless to say we're not best friends anymore. it's hard to respect someone who doesn't even have respect for their own vehicle. i'm sure you all know where i'm comin from.
            '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
            '00 T/A Silver
            '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
              i agree Steel.
              it is better to go to the track and get the time slip to be official. i feel that i probably wont be street racing much if at all with my car partially because it will be too strong and way to unpredictable on the street, but i'm pretty sure i'll be guilty of a burn out every now and then, or maybe a short blast to 60 or 70 to feel the pull.
              Nothing wrong with any of that. Street racing is one thing. A burnout or quick acceleration is another. We've all done the occasional burnout and light-to-light pulls. Heck... I love mashing the pedal getting onto a highway entrance ramp. These are all fairly safe practices, and you don't have another person in the equation.
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                Nothing wrong with any of that. Street racing is one thing. A burnout or quick acceleration is another. We've all done the occasional burnout and light-to-light pulls. Heck... I love mashing the pedal getting onto a highway entrance ramp. These are all fairly safe practices, and you don't have another person in the equation.
                Which is why I fail to see the big deal about this whole situation in light of where he was racing. Sure he had some people he was racing with there, but I'm sure they all know the danger and were not being overly dangerous. People don't buy muscle cars to drive normaly, I'm sure everyone on this board has done stupid things. I for one don't want to go down to the track every time I feel like dogging my car out a little bit. At least this guy had the sense to go to an unpopulated area.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

Originally posted by wood
                  Which is why I fail to see the big deal about this whole situation in light of where he was racing. Sure he had some people he was racing with there, but I'm sure they all know the danger and were not being overly dangerous. People don't buy muscle cars to drive normaly, I'm sure everyone on this board has done stupid things. I for one don't want to go down to the track every time I feel like dogging my car out a little bit. At least this guy had the sense to go to an unpopulated area.

thanks for the plug, appriciate it!!!
                  current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Originally posted by wood
                    Nevermind. It's the holidays and not worth arguing over. Street racing is just a very big problem now. Streets are far more populated... Cars are capable of much faster speeds, even econo-boxes. I know track time can be expensive, but it is what it is.

People who buy muscle cars should drive normally. I owned several muscle cars. Sure, I've gotten on them. Nothing wrong with opening her up once in a while. But when you involve another car that you're racing, it's a whole new set of issues. By yourself, you can ease up when necessary. If you're racing, no way you're letting up. You don't want to lose. That's my point.
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

Comment

I agree with everything, keep it off the street, we have all floored it, etc.- What concerns me is how the law treats you if they even THINK you were racing- vehicle impoundment, felony tickets, jail time- a whole lot of crap that you don't want to have to deal with just because you wanted to dust some mustang away from a stop light. Just the fact that you are driveing a sporty car is almost evidence of your intent to "hot rod" and the judge will most likely not show any mercy.

I used to drive a hot sleeper Buick, and I remember one time, racing a Camaro away from a light- we were going maybe 50 in a 30 zone, I was a couple car lengths ahead- we went by a cop in a gas station, and he came flying out- guess who got pulled over, and hassled? Hint: it was a RED Camaro. I din't hang around, but I am sure that guy got reamed for what was basically a little harmless fun. Just by driving these cars, we have a target on our back, and the cops watch us twice as hard. Other drivers tend to judge us based on what we drive, as well as how we act-
                      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
                      X