The Earth is flat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken -

We could use your input here. You were around when Columbus first set out to disprove the theory that the world is flat. How did he convince everyone?

D&R really fast...
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Columbus was about 1,600 years too late...Greek mathematician Eratosthenes, noted for devising a system of latitude and longitude, was the first person known to have calculated the circumference of the Earth. He noticed that the further north you were, the longer shadows were at noon.

Using some basic geometry, he was able to estimate the Earth's circumference, and was very close, don't remember the numbers.

btw, this is the same mathematician who gave use the famous sieve for finding prime numbers.

doesn't matter though, Ken was around then too.
      Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

yes, it's a common misconception that people thought the world was flat during Columbus' time and that he set out to prove them worng. It was well accepted by then that the world was round, and that's why Spain sent him on his voyage; to find a Westerly route to India/Asia. They were counting on the world being round for his mission to suceed... he just happened to run into an unaccounted for continent.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
          You want another scary site... check out www.peakoil.com Check out their message boards. There are some characters on there. Roker In Kensington should get a kick out of that site.
          Who's "Roker in Kensington"? Sounds like a bit of a fruitcake, don'cha think?
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
            Who's "Roker in Kensington"? Sounds like a bit of a fruitcake, don'cha think?
            ah, I knew what I meant!
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
              Using some basic geometry, he was able to estimate the Earth's circumference, and was very close, don't remember the numbers.
              He was off by less than 1%
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                He was off by less than 1%
                not bad considering he was effectively measuring a meridian, rather than the equator, which bulges in response to the Earth's rotation.
                Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Working...
                X