SUV's.. How do you feel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Injuneer
    A V6 SUV is a lot different than a V6 auto, because the SUV weighs a lot more. There are no SUV's, other than the expensive Hybrids, that get mileage close to an equivalent V6 sedan, because of the huge weight penalty. I find it hard to believe an Explorer can get better than 20 MPG under the best conditions. I've had 2 different F-150 4WD's as my company cars and they both got less than 15MPG. What's so different between an F-150 and the huge Explorer? In Consumer Report testing the Explorer XLT V6 got 15mpg, the Explorer Sport Track XLT V6 got 14mpg, and the F150 XLT V8 got 14mpg. Where's the "good gas mileage"?

I've seen brush guards increase damage to the vehicle they are installed on. Instead of the bumper retracting under the grill in a frontal crash, the brush guard wipes out the grill, front fenders and hood. In effect, the brush guard defeats the purpose of the crash resistant bumper, and will probably increase damage to both cars in a rear ender. I suspect a good lawyer could make a case for the aftermarket part increasing the damage to the vehicle it hit. I'd say that 90% of the cars with brush guards here on the east coast have never been taken off the pavement, and the guards are for appearance and ego enhancement. I'd like a little clarification on what a brush guard does for snow.

I have no problems with SUV's when used for their intended purpose. Somehow, a Ford Excursion or a Hummer S2 occupied solely by a 95# female driver does not seem consistant with the intent of the vehicle. My wife has been driving an SUV since 1990, first a Suzuki Sidekick I4 and then a Jeep Grand Cherokee I-6.... reasonably small vehicles that were seldom occupied by more than one person. But both of them would only get 20mpg on a VERY good day. The Suzuki was purchased because she needed to "ford" the flooded streets in Houston frequently as part of her health care services work. The extra ground clearance was a big help.

I think SUV owners are often delusional.
    compare that gas mileage to something like a denali/excursion, it's not the best but it's not that bad either. no it's not a civic with 25 mpg, but it's not a 2800 lb car with a dinky ass 4 banger either.

and where do you get this "crash resistant bumper" from? you're not aware that most bumpers aren't rated for over 15 mph crashes? anything over that and you have a complete failure, so how is that going to help you?

and just because you see women by themselves doesn't mean they are always like that. my gf drives our 93 explorer almost everyday by herself, but there are many times when she's also with me and my daughter. we have it for the extra room for the stroller or whatever. we also have it for the 4 wheel drive, NE ohio winters are horrible.
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

As I said, SUV owners, and their ardent fans are delusional. You fit the mold.

The Escalade is rated 2mpg lower than the V6 Explorer in the city and 1mph lower on the highway. They're BOTH fuel economy disasters. But it appears you're not one to let facts and figures interfere with you preset opinions.

Yes..... EVERYONE knows that the crash-resistant bumpers are not designed for high speed crashes, but thanks for the informative lesson. You missed the point. Have an accident where the bumper is damaged by the impact. Add a brush guard. That same minor accident has wiped out the entire front end of the car. Is it starting to become clearer yet?

Still for some info on how a brush guard helps you in that Ohio snow.

If our 95# housewife needs to carry 8 people on a frequent basis, she could just as easilly drive a mini-van and pick up anothr 5mpg.

Other than the "its my right to drive anything I want" argument, there is little justification for building 5,000# fuel guzzlers that crowd highway lanes, obscure everyone else's view and cause major death and destruction when they hit smaller cars.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Apparently yours is diferent. On the last Exploder, the bracketry couldn't be welded. Even if it could, you would have to cut the welds to take the bumper off. And it had a plastic bumper pad that probably would have melted...Trust me man, those thing do more damage than good. Does yours have the headlamp guards too? If so, tell me you couldn't bend those things right off...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

I have a feeling 75% of people with brush guards had them installed simply to intimidate the people they're tailgating. 20% thought they'd look cool, and the other 5% actually want it to guard against brush.

As for brush guards saving your vehicle from damage in an accident, let's examine that for a moment. Let's use the scenario of a low speed crash of say 15 mph. In a normal vehicle, the bumper and related crush zones behind it take much of the impact away, and soften the crash. Add a brush guard and you may save your vehicle from damage, but to do that it needs to stop the car immediately... before the grill and bumper make contact with whatever you hit and cause damage. Now you're stopping in a distance of millimeters instead of feet. That kind of impact is going to be very hard on anything and anyone in the vehicle. And if you don't think 15 mph is fast enouh to cause injuries, run as fast as you can into a brick wall.... it'll hurt.

Anything over 15mph, and you have 6000 lbs of wieght travelling at x mph going into that brush guard. There isn't a weld or bolt in the world that's going to save your car from damage then.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
            how do you intend to sue somebody for having a fully legal part on their car? that would be like me saying, if you hit me i'm going to sue you for having a metal bumper on your car instead of a plastic one, you did more damage to my car because it was metal. i don't know where you live, but here in ohio people have brush guards for 2 reasons. 1 being snow, if you end up going off the road, it'll save you from damage or injury if you happen to plow into a tree. the other being deer, ever hit a deer with one of your vehicles? a vehicle with a brush guard is going to sustain alot less damage if that happens.
            Big misconception. Most of those large brush guards are anything but legal. If you called your local police and asked, I think you would be very disappointed. I know they are not legal here. The cops won't bust your chops until you hit someone.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
            X