Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's no wonder we are energy dependant with moron drivers! (rant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's no wonder we are energy dependant with moron drivers! (rant)

I took my lunch hour to take the opportunity to get my son out of school early. As I arrive at the school and pull into the grounds, immediately the job becomes difficult. Why? It has gotten to the point that everyone around my area has decided to get increasingly bigger and bigger SUVs and trucks in an apparent attempt to be able to push their way though traffic and parking lots. As I deal with the Chaos, I decided to take a basic head count of who was driving what. In the line of cars to pick up kids, 41 of 54 vehicles was either a Truck, SUV or Van. Is everyone running over the cliff to buy a fuel thirsty large SUVs and truck? It's getting nuts....... and these aren't just normal pickups either. Many of these folks are getting full size turbo diesels that are jacked up with wide open exhausts and boost kits, exhaust pipes the size of coffee cans that make enormous clouds of black smoke as they stomp on the gas. They typically are driving 20 mph+ over the speed limit, cutting people off, riding their bumpers and in general push their way around in traffic much to the terror of drivers of smaller vehicles. I guess the "mine is bigger and louder" attitude is in full swing. Granted I was in a serious accident a short time ago, but the fear created by these idiots in their wannabe bigfoot trucks is genuine and a definite hazzard to regular traffic. This one driver in the school parking lot decided to pull up to my car and edge closer and closer in an attempt to get me to move so he could get past me. When I mean close, I mean within 6 inches. I had nowhere to go, couldn't move, I was pinned in by traffic. He was about to make contact when I got out of the car, pointed at him and said " go ahead, I have insurance and witnesses." It wasn't until that statement that he backed up and drove around a few other cars to get where he was going. This kind of BS has been occuring more frequently, something has got to give......... if something isn't done, highway death rates are going to soar.

What's the deal? Is this pattern happening everywhere or just in rural dumb @#% Florida? Seriously though, what is the deal with 41 of 54 vehicles being big SUVs and Trucks? Is this happening everywhere else too? It's no wonder the oil industry is making record profits. These people must be hating life at the gas pumps.

Some insurance companies (thankfully not mine) are surcharging for larger SUVs as they cause much more damage in accidents.

Not saying its right, just saying its true.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Heaven forbid that kids take the bus today. I mean please it is getting ridiculous. At a school I taught at back in the fall it seemed more children were picked up than riding the bus. There is an elementary school not far from my house. I got stuck as all the buses exited one day. One bus, I S**t you not drove 50 feet (or less) flashed its lights and dropped off two kids. It was too hard for these kids to walk that small amount of distance.

Every kid now has to have their own bus stop. Stop and Go. Which not only wastes the bus's gas but also the line of cars behind it. All it takes is a call from mommy or daddy to the school becuase junior has difficulty walking 75 yards. We have to realize it's little crap like this that is draining fuel in all areas of society.

I am just ticked off at the little things that waste our energy. More ticked off at kids and parents that are too afaid of riding the dang bus.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I feel you Joe. I hate that crap, And the worse part is that 90% of those people dont use the SUV for what they are designed for ie. offroad, camping and things of that nature. I hate it when they creep on my a$$ and they except you to move b/c they are in a bigger car. One thing I hate more that simply someone driving an SUV is a female in an SUV. Here in So-Cal its nothing but Suburbans and Cadi's with 22's and all that crap and every single one is always speeding and for some reason wanna race. Yeah They should limit the amount of SUV's but that will never happen. The market for them is insane.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I have a question about fuel mileage. I heard a few days ago that the government raised the CAFE standards for automakers. It went from something like 22 to 32. My observation and obviously everybody else's is that the people want larger vehicles that will not come close to complying with the CAFE standards. So the big 3 have to build a boat load of match boxes to make up for the gas guzzlers. What do they do with these matchboxes nobody wants. Either they may be forced to not build the gas guzzlers or they will pay the fine for not meeting the CAFÉ standards. I bet they will jack up the prices to pay the fines. I don't see how very much that they build now will meet the new CAFÉ laws. I think this is going to jack up the prices of cars and be a major source of revenue to the federal government.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
            Some insurance companies (thankfully not mine) are surcharging for larger SUVs as they cause much more damage in accidents.

Not saying its right, just saying its true.
            Norm, what company are you affiliated with?

Comment

I view my right to own a Suburban as being equal to my right to own a Z06...and I use neither as they were originally intended, meaning I have not autocrossed the Z nor have I towed a trailer with the 'burb.
              Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Don't really care about the SUV's too much. They have to pay for the gas.

What gets me more p'oed is the same fact that you mentioned at the school. Try to get past the school at 9 AM or 3 PM. It's like rush hour traffic and I'm surpised nobody has been killed yet. Luckily they opened up another side street for us to get around this traffic nightmare.

We live in a neighbor hood that kids could walk from and too school but all the parents have to drop off and pick up their Fritzli's. What a nightmare. They stop and park anywhere they want and they have a guy place orange traffic cones to prevent them from parking close to the crossings.

The school has also a 40 km/h speed zone. When I drive past there going the speed limit, I can guarantee that there's a minivan right up my behind trying to push me to go faster. You know one of those who have a baby on board sticker.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I hate big trucks. At work, I've driven some big ones (Nissan Armada and Titan, plus just about every huge truck made by Dodge, Chevy and Ford). It's the same problem with all of them. They get horrible, horrible gas mileage (our Suburban runs a steady 9 MPG according to the electronic guage), you can barely feel where you are in the lane, they're often slower than slow, cost a fortune to fill up, I could probably go on for a while.

There are some really nice small trucks and SUV's, but people seem to demand bigger vehicles. Why a small to moderately sized family would need a gas guzzling Suburban is beyond my comprehension. Do people really lug that much stuff around with them so often that they need such a large truck?
                  I'm impressed with the H3. It's big, but not unbearable. It's comfortable, has decent acceleration and the gas mileage isn't too bad for what it is. Dodge has some impressive small pick up trucks, the Ford Edge is decent, the Escape is one of my favorite SUV's, next to the Chrysler Pacifica. The GMC Canyon is practical, yet small at the same time. There are so many options, but people use their transportation as a status symbol.
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    ...Do people really lug that much stuff around with them so often that they need such a large truck?...
                    about as much as we need a 400+ rwhp fbody.

I know the issue isn't really having something you don't need, but the way many drive their SUV's and trucks. No matter what kind of vehicles we have there will always be bad drivers, but they are sure deadlier in a heavier vehicle.

For me, minivan drivers seem to be the worst as far as distracted/oblivious driving goes. And the absolute worst? cellphone jabberers...and as far as I'm concerned they might as well have a bottle of whiskey hangin' out of their mouth.
                    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Comment

also......

it is faaaaaar too easy to get a driver's license. then once you have one, as long as you don't get it revoked, and your eyesight is ok, you're a shoe-in.

I think there ought to be a written exam every four years, and every eight, a driving test. also, a driver should be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of kinematics.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Norm, what company are you affiliated with?
                        my company did that to altho not too bad since its only a 1500. i have a truck cuz i need to tow a trailer, get loads of mulch, wood, and whatever else my dad needs for his gardening and stuff. also i have a 59 speed-x we are restoring so we can do light tractor pulling with it. i came home from skool one day and i kid u not a bus stopped let one kid off then went another 20 FEET and dropped another one off. when i went to skool some kids on my buss had to walk up my road(dead end) which is about a mile long. now the bus goes to the bottom, and half the time the kid aint there then i noticed since the buss strike has gone on here in new milford, the line of cars hasnt grown much since most parents who are half asleep and will do anthing to get where they are going(i.e. i nearly got t-boned cuz some ladying didnt want to wait till i got past a road to get out ) to get there, and they are always speeding! my dad is one the town board and i plan on going to one of the meetins and brining this up. i just dont have the patience for this stuff. im sorry if 45 in a 40 aint fast enough for u, but im not risking my gfs life or mine for that matter so i can make the light or even run the red light. i was at a light it turned green for me then a damn minivan with a mother on her cell phone blew the read completely!
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I still stand by my post in this thread...

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19335

And I cant see anything changing my mind anytime soon.

Gaussian - Maybe you can help me understand why people buy SUV's. Maybe I just dont get it. If you arent going to use it to haul & tow stuff, whats the point?
                          No F-Body right now

Comment

I think I can nail a reason for some, not all, SUV owner dropping off their Kids

My niece was molested by a neighbor of my Sis's who committed suicide after it was discovered (his wife and kids never had a clue ). Luckily she was really young for any lasting long-term memories.Today's demographic profiles of neighborhoods have really changed for the worse. Now you have all kinds of undesirables living in kid filled neiborhoods. My sis who lives in camarillo, Ca has at least 5 sexual predators/offenders on the CA list between them and their school 1/2 mile away (yes you read that right - they were their before stronger laws were enacted). After what my niece went through I don't blame my sis for driving her daughter to school (to avoid the nutso's) The SUV has replaced the station wagon and and partially the minivan as an all around confortable car for the ENTIRE family. Some of you can recollect the station wagons were gas gos way back when also. As for my sis driving an SUV... they regret buying it as it is a gas hog, but with they way things are, they are stuck with it. I give her S**t about their SUV, every time I call

The rest are too busy with their TV, Junk filled lives, to take a step back and rationalize the long term cost of SUV's. Their more worried about the here and Now, making a living, and their self-imposed-time-starved lives to realize they are the source of their own problems and OTHER drivers
                            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                            pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
                              also......

it is faaaaaar too easy to get a driver's license. then once you have one, as long as you don't get it revoked, and your eyesight is ok, you're a shoe-in.
                              My mother in law was legally blind and she still had a drivers license and drove around. She could still see a little and eventually she would have to renew the license and do a basic vision test which she would have failed.

She claims of course that she gave up her license voluntarily because of her health. If she still had a license, she'd still be driving around.
                              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                              X