Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's no wonder we are energy dependant with moron drivers! (rant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the point I was trying to make was more against the owners of the lifted 4x4 turbo diesel trucks. I can see a need for some to own minivans, and some SUVs. It's typically the large 2500 series and larger pickups where the owners tend to use them to push their way around. To me there is nothing worse than a large and lifted 4x4 pickup with huge exhaust and obviously a boost kit, blasting though traffic smoke billowing, tailgaiting and cutting people off. These dumb cowboys don't even take them off road.

We can thank the government for all this. Bush managed to squeeze a tax break though that enables business owners to write off the entire cost of the SUV or pickup. Not cars mind you....... pickups and SUVs above a certain weight limit, and you guessed it...... the vehicles that have the worst fuel mileage are the ones that are the tax write off. That's just brilliant, give tax breaks to the consumers to buy the least fuel effeciant vehicles on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      We can thank the government for all this. Bush managed to squeeze a tax break though that enables business owners to write off the entire cost of the SUV or pickup. Not cars mind you....... pickups and SUVs above a certain weight limit, and you guessed it...... the vehicles that have the worst fuel mileage are the ones that are the tax write off. That's just brilliant, give tax breaks to the consumers to buy the least fuel effeciant vehicles on the market.
      The other side of that coin is now small construction companies can get a tax break for providing their employees trucks just like other companies can provide their employees cars. Hey at least the construction companies use their trucks at work. My wife's company falls into that now.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        The other side of that coin is now small construction companies can get a tax break for providing their employees trucks just like other companies can provide their employees cars. Hey at least the construction companies use their trucks at work. My wife's company falls into that now.
        And in rural America, the list of construction contractors is longer than physicians. Some may receive benefits, the rest of the population has to suffer the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
          ...Gaussian - Maybe you can help me understand why people buy SUV's. Maybe I just dont get it. If you arent going to use it to haul & tow stuff, whats the point?
          I can't speak for anyone else, but I like having the room for a bunch of people AND my St. Bernard...at the same time! I could probably do this with a minivan (emasculating as they are ), but I like being on a truck platform and a 360 hp V8 w/ 4.10:1 rear for nice acceleration (although it feels anemic compared to the 8.1L engine in my last one ). My Suburban is a C2500 and with the rear, I get about 11 mpg.

I will admit, I like having the biggest and most capable Chevy SUV, just because I can.

I would be the first to agree though, that more mass does not give a driver the right to be pushy or threatening.
          Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

[QUOTE=gauSSian]I

I will admit, I like having the biggest and most capable Chevy SUV, just because I can.
            QUOTE]

well , i m going to buy a tank then , or an 8 wheel armored vehicle beat that , how about that for protection for the school run?

(sorry ,couldnt resist )
            93 t/a A4 3.23s
            95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
            99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
            99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
            97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
            93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
            00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

I think I'll just get me a surplus M1 Abrahms. Let's see the Joneses keep up with that. I don't think I'll have much problem finding a place to park.

Comment

I grew up in Switzerland. A small country with no oil resources. Cars with more than two liter engines are not very common. Gas prices have been high for a long time but then people don't have to drive great distances as we do in North America.

Another "deterrent" is the fact your license plate renewal fees are based on the engine size. So you pay quite a bit more for a V8 compared to a 2 liter 4 cyl.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

You know, it really wouldn't matter what everyone else drives if everyone else was cool and didn't try to dominate the road, tailgate, etc. That's what it really comes down to - the drivers themselves.
                  Darrin C
                  '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                  07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                    You know, it really wouldn't matter what everyone else drives if everyone else was cool and didn't try to dominate the road, tailgate, etc. That's what it really comes down to - the drivers themselves.
                    I agree, and many times you can tell how a driver will behave on the road based on the car model he/she drives. You pull up behind a certain car at a light and you know already that they will drive off slow and will keep driving below the speed limit. Others will speed up while you try to pass them on a 4 lane Hwy.
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                      what it really comes down to - the drivers themselves.
                      Well said......it's what I posted in the topic...... moron drivers.

After my vacation, I'll be getting an attorney to handle the moron driver that decided that he didn't want me to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                        I grew up in Switzerland. A small country with no oil resources. Cars with more than two liter engines are not very common. Gas prices have been high for a long time but then people don't have to drive great distances as we do in North America.

Another "deterrent" is the fact your license plate renewal fees are based on the engine size. So you pay quite a bit more for a V8 compared to a 2 liter 4 cyl.
                        I think we should adopt some sort of that system here. The more the vehicle wieghs, or the bigger the engine size, or the worse the fuel economy, whatever, it costs you when you renew every year. Hitting the wallet is the only way to make americans think twice.
                        Dave M
                        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                          I agree, and many times you can tell how a driver will behave on the road based on the car model he/she drives. You pull up behind a certain car at a light and you know already that they will drive off slow and will keep driving below the speed limit.

Just come right out and say it. Buick drivers.

Others will speed up while you try to pass them on a 4 lane Hwy.
                          I hate that! And there really is no point to it, because all you've done is garaunteed that now I will pass you no matter what.
                          Dave M

Comment

I think the point I was trying to make was more against the owners of the lifted 4x4 turbo diesel trucks. I can see a need for some to own minivans, and some SUVs. It's typically the large 2500 series and larger pickups where the owners tend to use them to push their way around. To me there is nothing worse than a large and lifted 4x4 pickup with huge exhaust and obviously a boost kit, blasting though traffic smoke billowing, tailgaiting and cutting people off. These dumb cowboys don't even take them off road.

Joe, we were in FL a few weeks ago for vacation and I saw several big jacked up trucks. Things that just blew my mind. I saw one riding down the interstate that I couldn't believe. The tires had to be 5 feet tall if they were an inch, and that's not an exageration. The guy HAD to need a ladder of some kind to get in it. The bumper was 5 feet off the ground and the headlights were probably 6 feet. All this with some older chevy truck, or something similar. This wouldn't even be legal in PA (headlights have to be under 42 high) and I can't imagine it's legal in FL. It certainly can't be very safe doing 60 down the interstate in it, for a number of reasons.
                            Dave M

Comment

Dave, you are right on the money. Most of these trucks are not legal, due to the lift kits these guys run it often puts the bumpers considerably higher than a normal bumper. The other day, one of these trucks was following me and the bumper was at eye level. unfortunately, vehicle inspections went away years ago and nobody seems to want to enforce certain safety standards. don't get me wrong, I have nothing against trucks..... I've owned quite a few. In doing so combined with a commercial license, I recognize so many of the actions that are making these things deadly.

Several of these owners of 4x4 F-250 turbo deisels in town are so arrogant that they actually have bumper stickers and decals on their trucks with comments like "smile as you go under" or "Piss on everyone that gets in my way". I kid you not, that last one is as real as it gets. The guy is a moron driver too, frequently seen cutting people off and pushing his way though traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                                Just come right out and say it. Buick drivers.

hey.... my poor old GN doesn't fit in that catagory.

Comment

Working...
                                X