No announcement yet.

Immigration Reform?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have tried an "immigration reform" bill twice before with the stipulation each time that they would close the border. What is this the third time is the charm? I think the American people are saying look you promised us secure borders twice and you didn't follow through. We aren't doing that again. Fix the border then we'll talk what to do with the illegal's already here.

Any other country in the world (except Iraq) including Mexico if you are caught there illegally you are thrown in jail. Here city officials have official policies to not report it. They are being told to not report a crime. They are choosing what laws to follow and what not to follow. Where do they get off thinking they have this kind of power? How arrogant.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      We have tried an "immigration reform" bill twice before with the stipulation each time that they would close the border. What is this the third time is the charm? I think the American people are saying look you promised us secure borders twice and you didn't follow through. We aren't doing that again. Fix the border then we'll talk what to do with the illegal's already here.

Any other country in the world (except Iraq) including Mexico if you are caught there illegally you are thrown in jail. Here city officials have official policies to not report it. They are being told to not report a crime. They are choosing what laws to follow and what not to follow. Where do they get off thinking they have this kind of power? How arrogant.
      Agreed 100%. The government is all but giving the country to illegals. I don't care how hard they work, how industrious they are, how much they want to be here, they don't belong here unless they go through the process. I have done the process twice, once when I immigrated to Canada, then again when my Canadian wife moved down here. It's not that bloody hard. I obviously have nothing against immigrants, I am married to one for crap's sake. I do however have a great disdain for illegals. They bypass the system, break federal, state, and city laws by being here, they drive with no insurance, smuggle in drugs, start gangs, drag our neighborhoods down into slums etc. Then the government not only ignores the fact that they are here illegally, but they give them free healthcare, even going so far as to treat them ahead of citizens who are there with insurance, they give them free education, and now Bush wants to give them amnesty. It makes me sick. If a person wants to be here so bad, then they can go through the process and do it legally, and learn the language while they are at it. And yes, Conelite, they do take jobs that Americans should be able to get. Do you think Canada has to import Mexicans to do the "dirty jobs?" Nope, jobs like Janitors, maids, gardeners, garbage collectors, construction, etc etc, are done by white's. Amazing, huh? White's doing the jobs that supposedly no one wants to do here. The businesses will gladly pay an illegal $2/hr to do a job instead of paying a citizen minimum wage to do the same job. I know alot of homeless are homless because they got into drugs or what have you, but there are also many who simply had a bad streak of luck and couldn't get by. They would love to take a job and get back on their feet. Too bad some guy who doesn't speak English and drives to work with no insurance gets the job instead. Heck, even if it is some HS kid who wants the job, he should still get it instead of the guy who snuck across the border. Ugh....last post for me on this subject. It gets me waaay to sick to my stomach.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Good point. A lot this you can thank our Great president Bush. He's to busy using our funds in the war instead of taking care of the country. Do I agree with you on increasing border security? Hell yeah. Should the IA's that are here all be kicked out? To an extent. I believe that if all people with residency stay and are given the opportunity to become citizens and get rid of the rest we would be fine. End this stupid war and take care of our own country. In the last 3 weeks I have heard about 3 killings near my house. 2 kids that my little sister goes to high school with got stabbed to death. My good buddy from high school was shoot to death 2 Sunday's ago. Do we have bigger issues than IA's? For damn sure but all we focus on is the long term problems and anything to get attention of the F-up Bush made with the "War On Terror." Take care of the immediate things and NOT put the immigration issue on the back burner.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The main problem is that employers can and do hire illegal immigrants. either under false pretenses or blatent disregard for what laws to exist. If this were more heavily monitored the appeal of the US as far as illegal workers is concerned would wane. The next problem is that people are entering this country though porous borders and are undocumented. Combine the two and you have the current situation that is coming to a boil.

Does there need to be reform? Yes...... but I think the issues would be better fixed from a different angle. Sour the milk so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            The main problem is that employers can and do hire illegal immigrants. either under false pretenses or blatent disregard for what laws to exist. If this were more heavily monitored the appeal of the US as far as illegal workers is concerned would wane. The next problem is that people are entering this country though porous borders and are undocumented. Combine the two and you have the current situation that is coming to a boil.

Does there need to be reform? Yes...... but I think the issues would be better fixed from a different angle. Sour the milk so to speak.
            I agree with this 100%. Illegals are hired all over the place without much, if any penalties. They are all over our town. They work cheap, and will do whatever you want. While that makes for the perfect employee, it is killing the country.

Put heavy fines and penalties on any company that hires illegals, and most importantly... ENFORCE IT.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

There needs to be a system for verifying the legal status of someone. I don't think you can hold an employer liable for hiring an illegal when the illegal comes in with a drivers license and social security card. Both of those are too easy to forge. There isn't a way to verify them now. Most people aren't going to like this but we really need a national ID system.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

All employers are required to have new hires fill out an I9. They are also required to verify the information, as long as the SS# and ID given check out ok they are in the clear. There is a new form that is suppose to go online in a month or two that requires a much more stringent check, however because of all the moaning there is talk of repealing it. I'm sure the ones that are whining the most are those that hire illegals.
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                  All employers are required to have new hires fill out an I9. They are also required to verify the information, as long as the SS# and ID given check out ok they are in the clear. There is a new form that is suppose to go online in a month or two that requires a much more stringent check, however because of all the moaning there is talk of repealing it. I'm sure the ones that are whining the most are those that hire illegals.
                  How do they "check it out"? Is there a government agency you call to verify the information?

Comment

The SS administration will verify if the SS# is valid. But there are ways around that as well.

Comment

My wife says all the SS does is verify the number is good and the name matches what is given. That isn't much verification for legal status.

How do they check out the I9 form?

Comment

Exactly! And that's why all the hoopla over the new rules.

Comment

Which brings me back to what I said earlier. There needs to be a system for verifying the legal status of someone.

Comment

I'm all for national ID. I've got nothing to hide.

Well... Nothing the government would be interested in anyway.
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                              Sorry I shouldn't have lumped all liberals in the same category. I have some liberal views myself. What I should have said was, many liberals, most of them democrats…..
                              It's an easy fix, we've become apathetic and lazy looking for the easy way out of difficult issues.
                              No blood, no foul...

We must remember we are a democratic republic, and politics is reaching the common good with as much reasonable compromise as the most people can accept.
                              In this light, many of our elected reps are willing to accept 'amnisty' for a truly secure border, for instance. Or, dealing with the present, mostly needed workers in a pragmatic fashion in return for a system that links immigration to skills, not family matters.

I think we missed a great chance.
                              Mike, So. MD, USA
                              1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Here is how your senator voted.
                                http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00228
                                Did he vote the way you wanted him to? If not you know who not to vote for in the next election.

Comment

Working...
                                X