• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another update

Another update:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...300619_pf.html
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I just read an article where a woman was on the way to the hospital and was in labor, cop pulls her over and gives here some $1000+ speeding fine under this new law all because they need to fund projects
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
        I just read an article where a woman was on the way to the hospital and was in labor, cop pulls her over and gives here some $1000+ speeding fine under this new law all because they need to fund projects
        My professor in college told us a story similiar to that.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Things just went from bad to worse in Va.
          http://www.washingtontimes.com/artic...108290075/1001
          Whatever happened to "no taxation without representation"? That sounds a bit unconstitutional.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

That is one state I would leave just because of legislation like that.

Comment

an update to the original article: apparently Virginia Officials want to update that law targeting only residents so that it will out-of-staters as well (need article to confirm this 100% though)

but you have to go 20 miles an hour over the speed limit to get that one; but under a new set of rules there are now a whole host of violations considered “reckless driving” that subject errant Virginia drivers to fines of $1,050 to $3,000 — plus court costs, if you fight and lose. The money is supposed to go to road repair and maintaining.

The ones that support this are Speaker William Howell (R) and Gov. Tim Kaine

Some Good news The law was thrown out in Henrico County
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

Is everyone on this board planning on getting reckless driving citations? If not, what is the problem?
                Do you think roads and such are built for free? How else you want them built or fixed? Much less control the DC/NoVA commuters?
                Understand that poor driving can hurt other people?
                I'd like the whole, real story re the prego woman. Fines are a deterant, and if they fund road safety, good. She shouldve got an ambulance or someone to drive her; no delivering mother should be driving.
                If it is a constitutional thing, or that you dont like how funds are collected or used, VA has way more pressing needs than traffic fines. Like education and health care and law enforcement ( remember Cho at VA Tech?)!
                More Robert E. Lee, and less 'Macaca', please Virginia. And yes Virginia, there is NO Santa!
                As one who has to drive your crowded, awful roads with yr awful drivers, I say pay your fines and build your roads.
                The Wash Times is 2nd only to FOX as a conservative shill, btw.
                When you look at the true cost of reckless driving and VA's fiscal problems, these fine levels are spot-on.
                And dont get me started on VA's gun laws.
                Mike, So. MD, USA
                1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Originally posted by MDMike
                  Is everyone on this board planning on getting reckless driving citations? If not, what is the problem?.

The problem is a conflict of interest. The moment that plans are put into place to pay for road improvements via the judgement of a police officer as to whether a citizen is guilty of simple speeding or reckless driving, there is the potential for abuse.

I don't think a single person is against fair taxes to pay for improvements. Heavy fines imposed by personal opinion to fund improvements opens the door for all kinds of misuse. If the governent wants to improve roads via a tax, the correct tax application would be to collect from all parties that have the use over said roadways and not those that are randomly "selected". No, I don't live there and based on things like this I don't plan too.

Comment

Good point.
                    But I suppose what VA has is a police problem then, if we cannot trust them to see a blinker, etc.
                    If police and their word are useless, the whole justice system will fail.
                    And fines are for deterence first; funding improvements is not a bad 2nd justification.
                    And we alreaDY CANNOT FIND, OR FUND, ENOUGH POLICE...
                    Woe.
                    Mike, So. MD, USA
                    1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Working...
                    X