NJ MVC testing emissions data transmitter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FroSSty
    I hear ya Steve...You're right, they aren't there yet, but don't put it past them. And like I said, it is only one of the reasons. There are plenty of others which I won't get into...

eta:Ask Bru333, he knows...
    Blah blah blah, enjoy the icy roads ya yard-ape lol
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I DO... Bring your GN, see how she stacks up on the ice...
      http://www.michiganiceracingassociat...view_photo.php
      Here is our car...
      http://www.michiganiceracingassociat...view_photo.php
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

If you think she's seeing any ice, you must be outta your dang mind lol
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          The EZ-Pass transponder costs about $25.
          25 bucks times how many vehicles? Or is this for new cars only? And then is it paid for by the state or by the consumer?
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
            If you think she's seeing any ice, you must be outta your dang mind lol
            I didn't think you would...Stay up on the porch monkey...
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
            <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
              I didn't think you would...Stay up on the porch monkey...
              Yeah, and enjoy these from me at the strip...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                25 bucks times how many vehicles? Or is this for new cars only? And then is it paid for by the state or by the consumer?
                I just posted what I know..... its an "experimental program". They are testing the transmitter, did not provide any details of the plan's implemenation, cost or whether it would be actually implemented.

To suggest that the potential $25 cost would somehow make the program difficult to implement is at best naive.

Its really not that difficult to envision how it would be implemented. Simply require all new car dealers to install the device and tack the cost onto the price of the car. Who's going to notice $25 extra on a $30,000 purchase. There's already a 7% sales tax.... $2,100 on that vehicle. They recently added a "tire tax" to new cars..... something like 5 X $5 per tire (they include the spare, even if its not full-size). And, they'll be tacking on additional costs, since in a couple years NJ is going to start using the CA emissions standards, so there will be the typical "NJ emissions" charge from the manufacturers. Very easy to bury the cost in the price of a new car. Very easy to require that anyone moving into state have the device installed in the car before it can be titled or registered. You already have to pay NJ sales tax when you bring a car into the state, unless you can prove that you already paid an equal or greater sales tax to another state. When I moved to CA in 1992, with a car registered in TX, I had to pay $300 because it did not conform to CA emissions laws. How hard would it be to bury the cost in a fee like that (I believe CA's fee was eventually declared illegal by the courts).

I don't see the point of arguing over the cost.... I was simply pointing out something that was happening, and that I thought auto enthusiasts might want to be aware of. Unhfortunatley, you appear to want to argue the details, when there are available.

Not sure why I even posted it. I'll know better next time.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  I don't see the point of arguing over the cost.... I was simply pointing out something that was happening, and that I thought auto enthusiasts might want to be aware of. Unhfortunatley, you appear to want to argue the details, when there are available.

Not sure why I even posted it. I'll know better next time.
                  No one was arguing the details. Simply asking.
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                  2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Working...
                  X