X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZR1..its official

http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-aut...lly-334923.php

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

But . . . but what about global warming?
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Here you go.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_02.html

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

HEIR APPARENT: 2009 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 RECLAIMS DOMINION AS THE ‘KING OF THE HILL’

New, Supercharged LS9 V-8 is the Heart of a Bedeviling Performance Experience

DETROIT – The rumors are true. The speculation ends. And the UFO sightings on desert highways were not of extraterrestrial craft – but they were of a low-flying object capable of seemingly otherworldly performance.

Chevrolet officially announced the 2009 Corvette ZR1 – an American supercar that not only establishes new benchmarks for production-based power and performance, but challenges global competitors with a world-beating driving experience that also comes with a world-beating price of entry.

“The king has returned,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The new ZR1 upends the notion of what an American supercar can deliver, with performance that trumps exotics that cost two, three or four times as much – and does so with the driving ease of a daily commuter.”

Dispensing with the formalities and getting right down to business, here are the ZR1’s basic stats:

* All-new LS9 supercharged 6.2L V-8 targeted at producing at least 100 horsepower per liter, or 620 horsepower (462 kW), and approximately 595 lb.-ft. of torque (823 Nm)
        * Six-speed, close-ratio, race-hardened manual transmission
        * New, high-capacity dual-disc clutch
        * Higher-capacity and specific-diameter axle half-shafts; enhanced torque tube
        * Specific suspension tuning provides more than 1g cornering grip
        * Twenty-spoke 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels
        * Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires – P285/30ZR19 in front and P335/25ZR20 in the rear – developed specifically for the ZR1
        * Standard carbon-ceramic, drilled disc brake rotors – 15.5-inch-diameter (394-mm) in the front and 15-inch-diameter (380-mm) in the rear
        * Larger brake calipers with substantially increased pad area
        * Standard Magnetic Selective Ride Control with track-level suspension
        * Wider, carbon-fiber front fenders with ZR1-specific dual vents
        * Carbon-fiber hood with a raised, polycarbonate window – offering a view of the intercooler below it
        * Carbon fiber roof panel, roof bow, front fascia splitter and rocker moldings with clear-coated, exposed carbon-fiber weave
        * ZR1-specific full-width rear spoiler with raised outboard sections
        * Specific gauge cluster with boost gauge (also displayed on the Head-Up Display) and 220-mph (370 km/h) speedometer readout
        * Only two options: chrome wheels and a “luxury” package
        * Curb weight of approximately 3,350 pounds (1,519 kg)

MORE THAN PERFORMANCE: CORVETTE ZR1’S CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION DELIVER A CONFIDENT, COMFORTABLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

DETROIT – Its supercharged engine twists out more than 600 horsepower and nearly 600 lb.-ft. of torque. Its racing-inspired dual-disc clutch channels that power to a set of massive, 20-inch by 12-inch rear wheels, helping push the ZR1 to more than 200 mph (320 km/h). It also corners with the grip of a hungry Kodiak bear – delivering more than 1g of lateral acceleration – and stops with exceptional immediacy.

Yet for all its astounding performance attributes, the 2009 Corvette ZR1 has a refined driving experience that makes it a daily-driveable supercar.

“The ZR1 is a car anyone can drive confidently and comfortably,” said Tom Wallace, vehicle line executive. “From the very beginning, refinement, balance and compliance were targets that were as important as the car’s maximum performance.”

More than simply scaling wheel, tire and brake sizes to match the powertrain’s output, the ZR1’s engineers harmonized the chassis and suspension components to deliver a ride quality and driving experience that is unmatched by most supercar competitors. Enabling elements include standard Magnetic Selective Ride Control and new, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires that were developed specifically for the car.

“The ZR1 corners better than the Z06, but has ride compliance more like the base coupe,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “Every element from the stabilizer-bar diameters to the composition of the tires was carefully matched to deliver a balanced driving experience – it’s a supercar that doesn’t sacrifice ride quality for performance.”

Stopping power is derived from a carbon-ceramic-based brake system that is lightweight, heat resistant and wear resistant. While delivering braking performance similar to a racecar, it helps reduce the unsprung mass that the ZR1 would have accrued through the use of similarly sized cast iron brake rotors.

“It wasn’t enough to achieve the braking requirements commensurate with the car’s performance – we needed to find a solution that minimized the impact on the car’s balanced feel,” said Juechter. “A larger brake package generally means more weight, but the carbon-ceramic rotors deliver excellent performance while also minimizing unsprung weight.”

96 TA Sold!
        87 TA Sold!
        80 Z28 Sold!
        74 Formula Sold!
        73 Z28 Sold!
        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I gotta be honest. I'm not all that impressed with it. I'm not real sure on the cosmetics and the weight gain.

The new viper is already putting out more horsepower than that car and it is about the same weight.

We'll have to see if it hits the dealers floor as it is shown here. I may have to turn mine.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I don't care for the rims but i love C6 z06 rims
            1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Man you guys are late..

http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20490
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                I'm not all that impressed with the weight gain.

The new viper is already putting out more horsepower than that car and it is about the same weight.

Yeah, I'm wondering why they didn't start with the Z06 chassis. Its already 3-400 pounds lighter. The fancy carbon fiber would have made a Z even better.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                  Yeah, I'm wondering why they didn't start with the Z06 chassis. Its already 3-400 pounds lighter. The fancy carbon fiber would have made a Z even better.
                  Exactly. The Viper is already making about 650 at the motor according to some recent dyno runs. It is making 546 RWHP. They increased the weight of the ZR1 to almost the same as the viper, losing that advantage. Then they didn't put the rumored horsepower into the car (well, we don't know that yet) but they still should be making tons of power to make up for the added tonnage.

I'm very let down by this. I only hope Chevy changes the stats a bit before it is released. I may be going back to Dodge for my next new car.

One more thing. They are talking about changing the body style in 2010 or 2011. After paying dealer mark up. The ZR1 is going to probably run over $120,000. This just doesn't make sense.

Ok, venting being turned off now.

Comment

Not a fan of the wheels...

To defend the performance...the "new" 650 hp Viper can barely outrun the current Z06. Motor Trend did a test...only a few ticks faster. Translate 100+ hp increase for the ZR1 = total eclipse of the Viper.

Lets not past judgement until the numbers come out...

As for now...let us rejoice.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I wish the Viper and the C6 didn't have such similar front ends. I kinda wish the Vette kept the C5 body style. That's a damn good looking car. The C6 does nothing for me. I'm not a fan of the newer style Vipers either. I like the 2nd generation body style the most out of all of them. I'd love to get a blue and white GTS one day.
                      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                      SOLD- Good riddance!
                      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                        Not a fan of the wheels...

To defend the performance...the "new" 650 hp Viper can barely outrun the current Z06. Motor Trend did a test...only a few ticks faster. Translate 100+ hp increase for the ZR1 = total eclipse of the Viper.

Lets not past judgement until the numbers come out...

As for now...let us rejoice.
                        That is because of the Vipers heavier weight. Now they increased the weight of the Corvette to almost the same level. I thought Chevy did their homework but after seeing this, I have lost a little faith.

Comment

Looks awesome but I think I would rather stick with a Z06. one can always add a power adder if really needed.

Comment

i'll just drop 30+ grand and put the LS9 in my Solstice GXP and blast both of them off the road.........

bwwwahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahaahaa

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Baaahhh...
                              Its just another over-priced toy that I'll never have...
                              Greg W. in West Michigan
                              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                              <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                              X