Our new house....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steel2686
    Nice place. I was a carpenter for several years (still am on weekends and some weeknights). Looks like they are doing a nice job on the framing. So many of those development houses are just thrown together so they can move onto the next one. Doesn't seem to be the case with yours. The right builder makes all the difference.

Having a slab house will actually help with insulation from the floor. No dead space below you.

Good luck with it!
    Hey, being a carpenter, have you seen or used 2x4's that look like they are spliced together? The ones they were using were like, 1 foot lengths that looked like there were rabbit jointed together to make a full stud. Is that normal? The builder was saying that they are actually stronger than a regular stud. I wasn't sure if he was blowing smoke up our rears or not.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
      Hey, being a carpenter, have you seen or used 2x4's that look like they are spliced together? The ones they were using were like, 1 foot lengths that looked like there were rabbit jointed together to make a full stud. Is that normal? The builder was saying that they are actually stronger than a regular stud. I wasn't sure if he was blowing smoke up our rears or not.
      Laminated studs.

I have a laminated beam going the length of my basement that holds the entire weight of the house. I used to have a metal support pole right in the middle of my family room, but I took it out when I put up the laminated beam.

In short, they work really well. They have pros and cons just like standard douglas fir studs.

The pros are added strength and almost no twisting or crowning. The remain very straight due to fusing smaller lengths together to make one larger length.

The cons are they can be a bit tough to work with at times, especially when you have to make a cut right at one of the joints. That's not an issue for you though!

All in all, they work out real nice.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
        Laminated studs.

I have a laminated beam going the length of my basement that holds the entire weight of the house. I used to have a metal support pole right in the middle of my family room, but I took it out when I put up the laminated beam.

In short, they work really well. They have pros and cons just like standard douglas fir studs.

The pros are added strength and almost no twisting or crowning. The remain very straight due to fusing smaller lengths together to make one larger length.

The cons are they can be a bit tough to work with at times, especially when you have to make a cut right at one of the joints. That's not an issue for you though!

All in all, they work out real nice.
        Awesome. Thanks for the info!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
        X