5th Gen Gets 300HP V6; GM Considering Turbo Ecotec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe 1320
    As soon as I read that I said "uh oh". Here we go...... taking it beyond the reach of the core enthusiast and play for the higher profit customers.
    That was also my reaction - exactly.

Comment

They have to sell 100k of them. That means they will have different models at different price points.

I know we all want high end at low end prices, but we are a minority anwyay. They have to sell them to young, old, female, make, indifferent etc. They have to have a car for the low end for people that like it but can only afford a regular car and not the super car that we want.

I will wait and see. I have said that a lot and I stick with it. There will be lots of talk and lots of rumors and even Lutz yakking, but I bet there isn't anything set in stone. They have to adjust to the market and the economy.

I'll see what they come out with, when and how much it costs. I am sure it will be a great value for the cost as the 4th gen was and the C6 vette is today.

Comment

I just hope they group the options better, using common sense, than their past vehicles. For instance, say you want adjustable seats, but that comes in package X, which is a $7,000+ option ... just for seats. I just hope that they have a stripped v8 version, without packages req'd that have nothing to do with the actual install of a v8 engine, as a stripped low option v8 will be a good competitor in the marketplace

Gotta agree that they have to keep their costs down, but I hope that doesn't mean large grouped options which will inflate the price we'll pay in the end above the basic concept of what a muscle car is, otherwise count me out (I'll get a used c6 zo6 instead )
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

They have to bunch some of the options. You know from some of the boards you are on, opinions have been gathered from enthusiasts and they have the disciples group that check them out and give them feedback.

If you have specific suggestions, you should send them to one of them and let them pass it on.

You know Teri, Chris and Art, they are three of them that will get a look.

I don't compare the Camaro to a Vette. Totally different cars. Sports car vs muscle. You know I have had both.

Did you consider a used C4 when you bought your 4th gen hawk? The 4th gen Hawk was not cheap.

Like I said, all us enthusiasts want them to build the car to what we want, but the bigger market is not us at all.

Comment

I agree with ya 100% as lessons learned from the 4th Gen about option packages as their reason was keeping costs down.

We know they gotta package options, but some options I hope won't be tied to completely unrelated packages, say for an unrealistic example, v8 engine package = expensive gps mapping system package, which would drive away a customer (not necessarily an enthusiast) hoping to keeps costs down on potential v8 vehicle.

Nothing extravagant options wise this time around for me (can't get GM employee discount this time... rats)
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

The V8 cars are going to be rare (and expensive). GM can't meet 2012 CAFE requirements with Active Fuel Management. The Corvette and Camaro V8 will be extremely low production vehicles. The days of buying a V8 powered daily driver are numbered; they will be for those who can afford a toy in the garage. Ken's Solstice or a Turbo 4cyl Camaro is the sports car now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Camaro T4 Hybrid by 2012. Actually, I wouldn't mind having one. The smaller engine Camaro will be roughly the same price as the Solstice, and the 6.0L Camaro will be loaded and close to 40K. 40K is a lot less then the sticker on a new Vette.

I forgot to add one thing: I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mustang GT as a V8 go away. There will likely be a GT500 and a small engine one. GM, again, waited too long. The 6.0 Camaro will need to be something pretty special to compete with the GT500. As a long time Mustang critic; surprisingly, I love the GT500.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                The V8 cars are going to be rare (and expensive). GM can't meet 2012 CAFE requirements with Active Fuel Management. The Corvette and Camaro V8 will be extremely low production vehicles. The days of buying a V8 powered daily driver are numbered; they will be for those who can afford a toy in the garage. Ken's Solstice or a Turbo 4cyl Camaro is the sports car now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Camaro T4 Hybrid by 2012. Actually, I wouldn't mind having one. The smaller engine Camaro will be roughly the same price as the Solstice, and the 6.0L Camaro will be loaded and close to 40K. 40K is a lot less then the sticker on a new Vette.

I forgot to add one thing: I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mustang GT as a V8 go away. There will likely be a GT500 and a small engine one. GM, again, waited too long.
                I believe that you are wrong. I hope they sell so many V6 cars that you are right ... relatively speaking. There will be an SS or Z28 or maybe and they may be low volume but there will be a lower priced v8 and I hope it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                  As a long time Mustang critic; surprisingly, I love the GT500.
                  I know, my boss has one. I saw it once and thought "I can't believe I want a Mustang now".

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                  X