what do you know about the year you were born

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff 97SS
    I was born in 1970, widely regarded as the peak of the original musclecar era, which is about all I know of the year. Unfortunantly I was much to young to buy a 450 HP big block Chevelle SS, GTO Judge, Hemi Cuda or Challenger, or a Boss 429 Mustang. If only my parents put one of the fore-mentioned vehicles away for me. If they did, I haven't found it yet. If it's any consolation, I guess my 97 SS is better on gas.
    2 years before you were born, i bought a car i should have never sold.... ended up rebuilding the engine by hand, did a 3 way seat on the valves in the sink of my apartment building, changed the ring and pinion in the parking lot... babied it to the max, would run mid 12's on the street. an SS 396 Chevelle... 1968

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wow Ken, a 68 Chevelle SS with a 396 would be nice. I love the body style of the 68's and 69's more than any other Chevelles. I had a 69 Pontiac Lemans hardtop in the mid 80's. I really wanted a GTO, but the Lemans was all I could afford as musclecars really started to appreciate by then. Man, I loved hardtops.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 97SS
        Wow Ken, a 68 Chevelle SS with a 396 would be nice. I love the body style of the 68's and 69's more than any other Chevelles. I had a 69 Pontiac Lemans hardtop in the mid 80's. I really wanted a GTO, but the Lemans was all I could afford as musclecars really started to appreciate by then. Man, I loved hardtops.
        wish i kept it..for sure. my ex trashed all my pictures of it.... its just a stamp in my brain now...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I was born in 1970 too...!

Richard Nixon was president of the US

A federal jury found the "Chicago 7" innocent of conspiring to incite riots during the 1968 Democratic National Convention

The lunar spacecraft Apollo 13 splashed down in the Pacific after near catastrophe

The first Earth Day was marked by millions of Americans participating in anti-pollution demonstrations

At Kent State University, National Guardsmen fired into a crowd killing four student antiwar demonstrators

A powerful earthquake claimed 50,000 lives in Peru

18 year olds were given the right to vote in federal elections

Tidal wave driven by cyclone from Bay of Bengal hit East Pakistan, killing hundreds of thousands

An anti-war rally was held at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, attended by John Kerry, Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland

Queen Latifah, Mariah Carey, Andre Agassi, Uma Thurman, Jennifer Lopez, and Matt Damon were also born in 1970

Baltimore Orioles won the World Series

Kansas City Chiefs won Superbowl IV

Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup

Tearjerker Love Story was the top grossing film (My mom loved this movie)

"The Long and Winding Road" became the Beatles' last Number 1 song

Most American muscle cars became uglier until 1977
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Hello fellow 1970er, thanks for filling me in on the happenings of our birth year. No wonder I forgot all the happenings except for the musclecars, most of the stuff that happened in 1970 was pretty much a bummer, except for us being born that is.

Comment

Let's go back to the stone age..... just after they built the pyramids

Average Cost of new house $4,075.00
              Average wages per year $1,750.00
              Cost of a gallon of Gas 12 cents
              Average Cost for house rent $32.00 per month
              Beautyrest mattress $39.50
              Average Price for a new car $850.00
              Federal spending: $13.65 billion
              Federal debt: $57.5 billion
              Consumer Price Index: 14.7
              Unemployment: 9.9%
              Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03

News & Events

Franklin D. Roosevelt is President

The German battleship Bismarck sinks the HMS Hood killing all but three crewman on what was the pride of the Royal Navy. Fairey Swordfish aircraft from the carrier HMS Ark Royal fatally cripple the German battleship Bismarck in torpedo attack. and the attack that follows by Navy Warships sinks the Bismark

Hitler and Mussolini announce they are at war with America who retaliates with its own declaration of war .

Japanese Navy launches a surprise attack consisting of two full regiments on the United States fleet at Pearl Harbour, thus drawing the United States into World War II.

A bill creates the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day

United Stated officially declares war on Japan

Popular Films

-Citizen Kane
              -Dumbo
              -The Maltese Falcon

Popular Musicians

-"Chattanooga Choo Choo" by Glenn Miller
              -"Daddy" by Sammy Kaye
              -"Green Eyes " by Jimmy Dorsey
              -"I'll Be with You in Apple Blossom Time " Andrews Sisters

Technology

-The first RAF aircraft equipped with radar
              -Roosevelt authorizes the Manahatten Project (A-Bomb)
              -Glenn Seaborg and Edwin McMillan isolate plutonium, a fuel preferable to uranium for nuclear reactors.

Born

-Dick Cheney
              -Richard Dawkins
              -Pete Rose
              -Bob Dylan

Sports

-New York Yankees win the World Series
              -Chicago Bears win the NFL championship
              -Boston Bruins win the Stanley cup
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X