Young man needs Opinions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young man needs Opinions!

Alright well as we all know Gas is $4.00+ for 87octane and its not even summer yet. I Have been wanting to get a bucket car for the MPG b/c my DD is my Bird. I dont know anyone that Loves their car as much as I do. I wake up and look forward to driving her every day. But What i dont look forward to is the $200 I spend on gas a month, Considering i drive 6 miles round trip to work every day. Im averaging 12-16 MPG.

Heres the plot. I owe about $6k on my car, Im about $4k In credit card debt. So I have started to think. Considering Gas is only going to get worse I need to do something.

Heres My solution. I Would sell my car hoping to get $9-10K. That would be enough to Pay all my Debt and once again be Debt free. I would get a bucket car and save some money on gas, and insurence. With time My goal would be to save money, And return to school. I would not have any card payments, Car payments and if I go to school I dont have to pay rent. Total with my Sallery im making now Its about $400-600 extra every month. With time Save my money, and maybe in a year or two after im settled going to school and working, Hopefully Save $5k or so for a good down payment on The Car of my dreams, a C5 Vette. The gas prices will not effect me so much bc Ill have my Bucket to use every day for work/School. The vette would be mainly Joy riding and weekends.

What do you guys think about my idea.

All opinions welcome please!
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

I hate to say it but sell it. Set yourself up for a positive future with a decent credit score. Also, go to school. Save yourself the rent money. If you go to school now you can get that C5 with the nice salary you are raking in.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

any time you have the opportunity to become debt free, take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        any time you have the opportunity to become debt free, take it.
        Nothing else to say. Joe's right.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Yeah Its going to kill me but I know its best. The only fear is getting my bucket jacked. My last honda got broken into/Stolen 4 times. Didnt have an alarm or anything. This time if I do go that route An Alarm, Removable Steering wheel and Kill switch.

Thanks for the Comments guys. Joe you have a good point. I have been in debt for like 3 years and I hate it. I dont want to have to send hundreds of dollars away for crap that I dont even probly have anymore. You live and learn i guess.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Selling my T/A was the hardest automotive decision I ever made. It absolutely killed me. A year and a half later... I'm glad I sold it when I did. Now I'm even considering selling the TL. If an offer is good enough, it's gone.

I may also go the beater car route. Just a 4-cylinder, 5 speed. That's all I need right now.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

yes ive thought about selling my stang 2 but it gets 19mpg city and i can put in regular gas way better than my old lt1, i recomend getting a bucket you will enjoy,like a honda prelude,or a turbo eclipse gsx,you can get good mpg and still a have a pretty quick car,and you can pick up both rides for about 4k, , if i ever get another import im going dsm
              2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

I already have a Car in my sights. A 95 Civic DX. Same year as old Edna. But this ones a 2 door. Its green and already lowered. 5 Speed. Its my uncles and he's asking $2400 so Im still debating. I would go with a DSM or Eagle but Im not a Boost kinda Guy. Im an all motor kinda guy even if its a Slow-Port.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

What about a cheap motorcycle?
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I would get a Cycle but Regardless I would still need a car. The purpose to selling my car is so I have the extra money to get out of Debt.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Just imagine for a moment:

No car payment,
                      lower insurance payment.....
                      what would you do with that dough?

There is incredible freedom in not having high car and insurance payments.

Comment

Exactly, I remember Right before I bought the bird and had my Civic. I was making about $100 less a week than right now, still had the card payments but just the fact of no car payment, It was amazing.

I would only have My rent payment,Cell phone and insurence. Thats about nothing.

Man Joe your making me want to get rid of the Bird A-Sap!
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Not trying to make you get rid of the bird, but if that's destiny....

Have you thought about a V6 bird? good gas mileage, can be made to out handle a V8, cheaper insurance, and you could get them really cheap.

Comment

I've been following this thread with mixed feelings. Yes it's probably prudent to get rid of the car, but I keep going back to a day in the 70's when when a young man sold a 68 GTO for basically nothing because of gas prices and long lines. Guess how many times I've kicked myself in the butt for that one? I doubt that the bird will ever have the collectable value of that GTO but as they say hindsight is 20/20.
                            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              Not trying to make you get rid of the bird, but if that's destiny....

Have you thought about a V6 bird? good gas mileage, can be made to out handle a V8, cheaper insurance, and you could get them really cheap.
                              I thought about that Joe, but the main reason Why I want to get a Honda or An import is the repair Costs. I mean you can drop an engine for less than $700 in just about any honda. You cant beat that even with a stick. Plus I have a lot of friends with connections with imports.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X