Joe's Garage open for business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Garage open for business

I've spent alot of time reflecting this past year. You all know that on the last day of February 2007, I was in a serious wreck that changed my life. While in perspective my injuries were not life threatening, the entire situation put me oh so close to checking out when the tree cut thought the car and almost impaled me. Looking back at the wreck, everyone including myself is amazed that I lived. It just doesn't seem possible. The whole episode had me freaked out to even be on the roadways. I've had a few opportunities to drive some hot cars and turned them down. I had no desire, or maybe a certain amount of fear, no telling what the entire cause was other than the wreck. As vehicles broke down, I just parked them. I had no desire (or money at the time) to do anything about it and as long as I still had transportation, the breakdowns were not a priority.

Since the 94 quit the other day, and combine that with my laziness of last year, too many vehicles are down. It's time to get off my arse and get the garage going. The Fiero will be the easist fix, it's been down for 4 months with a no start problem. Most likely the ignition blew out, no spark anywhere. I'm placing my bets on the HEI module or computer, but I'll know more for sure when I start in a few minutes. That shouldn't need too much time and that will be useable today. I have all the parts on the shelves so it's just labor.

Then comes the dreaded fuel pump on the 94. That's an all day affair. $180 for the part and a whole lot of misery under the rear of the car. i don't have the labor manuals but it seems like it takes me about 7 hours including breaks to do a fuel pump.

Followed by a upper end teardown and headgasket job on the 93 Z28. That's probably close to 15 hours for both head gaskets from start to finish so there's a whole weekend. I'm not going to thrash for 15 hours straight.

And last, but not least........ a new motor for the GN. It made some ugly noises, and got parked. It's time for the new motor. I think this one will be put more closer to stock. In all reality, I had built this car faster and faster to the point that it was no longer enjoyable for street duty. I had a boxed intercooler that would get packed with dry ice, that's no good for the street. A cam that pushed the powerband a little higher, a turbo that made the car lazy off boost yet tore you head off with a warp speed jump on boost. That type of stuff really takes a toll on what is considered a driveable street car, especially in the rain. So instead of mid/high 10s, she's getting slowed down to low 12s on pump gas, high 11s on race gas. It's getting configured like a nice cruiser for actual highway driving. I have had very little enjoyment out of the car over the last 5 years or so, I don't drag race anymore and with this car, I think low 12s is stout enough. No idea how long that one will take, there are just too many variables. This one is a "it's done when it's finished" type of thing, but I'm hoping to have it done by the end of July.

The hot motor will eventually go into project Blue Angel, the target ET is a conservative 10.90 with drag radials and race gas. Gotta get the chassis all done first, including chrome roll bar.

So, in the words spoken in the movie "Independence Day"

Hello Boys.......... I'm Back!

Welcome back Joe....

I could understand your lack of desire after your crash.

Have fun and keep the box of band aids close..
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

I just traced all the circuits, the HEI module appears bad. Swapped modules, now I had spark and still a no start. The ECM wasn't giving a code 12 so I swapped it with one that I had on the shelf, fired right up.

Man was it hot. Tracing electrical circuits in a car sitting in the Florida sun, I think I lost 5 lbs just in sweat. Sponge Bob is alive and ready to roll.

Comment

Cool..... 1 down, 3 to go...
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

congrats man, i have a thing for the fieros idk y but i do, i want a 87-88 GT with a manual.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

With the way the gas prices are, I'd like to find an old Fiero 2M4 model with the 4 cylinder, to use as a go to work car. Seems like it would get good gas mileage, and be slightly safer than the bicycle I've been riding for the past month.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 97SS
              With the way the gas prices are, I'd like to find an old Fiero 2M4 model with the 4 cylinder, to use as a go to work car. Seems like it would get good gas mileage, and be slightly safer than the bicycle I've been riding for the past month.
              if you can find a stick shift, they aren't bad. My automatic is still a bit of a gas pig. I think about the best I get is 20 mpg average. I've had some thoughts about dropping in a new 4cyl and automatic from the Solstice or something similar. Newer powertrains are so much more effecient.

Comment

God help us...the monster has awakened...... look out central fla.!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                  God help us...the monster has awakened...... look out central fla.!!!!

Been on vacation for too long.

Comment

Glad you feel like working on cars again Joe. I work on mine a lot when I could be out driving them - saves on gas

Comment

Glad to see, you decided to get of your arse and get back in the saddle again. I've been in the same loop myself. Once my new car cover comes in, I'm going to fix all the little things that I've put off way too long.
                      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                      pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                        Glad to see, you decided to get of your arse and get back in the saddle again. I've been in the same loop myself. Once my new car cover comes in, I'm going to fix all the little things that I've put off way too long.
                        Procrastination got me here, I'm fighting my way back out.

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                        Glad you feel like working on cars again Joe. I work on mine a lot when I could be out driving them - saves on gas

Too funny and all too true.

Took Sponge Bob out for a drive yesterday, I forgot how leisurely this thing cruises. No stick shift, cruise control, it feels like a heavy go cart. It still needs a few things though. The A/C compressor is making some ugly noises and the rear shocks are getting a bit bouncy. I'll get to that later. There are a few priorities ahead of those. I'm prepping the camaro for the fuel pump R&R. I've got some time before I have to be at the shop and I figure a few hours a day and I can knock this out though the week in my off time and not take my day off to sweat it out.

Comment

Awesome, Joe. Glad you got the itch for working on cars again.

Maybe the '94 breaking down was a blessing in disguise.
                          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                            Awesome, Joe. Glad you got the itch for working on cars again.

Maybe the '94 breaking down was a blessing in disguise.
                            I think it created a sense of urgency that just hadn't been there in a long time. not that I enjoy doing a fuel pump, but this gives me a chance to do all the extra stuff under the car that needed to be done. I've got all these suspension parts that need to be swapped over from the T/A, the parking brake never worked due to missing rear cables, maybe I'll change the diff fluid while I'm at it. I've got a T/A cover for the differential too. When all is done, it should be capable of handling that turbo 3.8 with an automatic.

Comment

Doing a feul pump isn't fun... I can agree with that. However, the money you are saving by doing this all yourself is huge. One by one, you'll get your "fleet" back up and running. Then it's a pick of which car you want to drive on a given day. That alone is worth it.

Have fun with it, Joe. It's been too long...
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X