No announcement yet.

Joe's Garage open for business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet! Nice job- that is the essence of custom- making your car "yours"- better than when it rolled off the assembly line-

GM should have done this- I owned a '79 Toyota that had this feature, not exactly rocket science- They probably didn't want to spend the 10 cents for a handful of screws (per car, times how many million cars?- maybe I can see their side, a little- but they could have raised the price of the car a buck, and touted 'easier to service')
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
      Sweet! Nice job- that is the essence of custom- making your car "yours"- better than when it rolled off the assembly line-

GM should have done this- I owned a '79 Toyota that had this feature, not exactly rocket science- They probably didn't want to spend the 10 cents for a handful of screws (per car, times how many million cars?- maybe I can see their side, a little- but they could have raised the price of the car a buck, and touted 'easier to service')
      Nope.....you're missing it. If they put in the hatch, they couldn't charge $750 labor to replace a fuel pump.

It's how the stealerships make their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Nope.....you're missing it. If they put in the hatch, they couldn't charge $750 labor to replace a fuel pump.

+1

However, notice how easily a mod it is? The strengthening roll in the middle of the floorpan stops at just the right spot and the outside rolls are spaced just right...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

I remember when my fog lights switch burnt out in my T/A and I took it to the stealership to get it fixed. Turned out it was just a blown fuse and they wanted to charge me $87.00 to change it (labor). I requested to talk to a supervisor and tell him it was just a fuse. I drove off.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
            +1

However, notice how easily a mod it is? The strengthening roll in the middle of the floorpan stops at just the right spot and the outside rolls are spaced just right...
            Also notice the spot welds in every panel except the one right over the pump. It's like it was made to be cut open.

Comment

Also notice the spot welds in every panel except the one right over the pump. It's like it was made to be cut open.
              Glad you went ahead with it, Joe. It's the right move and it's also a really cool mod.

Even if you never have to access it again, the piece of mind knowing you can very easily is enough of a reason.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Oh, I 'get it'- but, apparently GM doesn't- then they wonder why their share of the market has slipped so far, why they are loosing money like crazy-

This is a list of dedicated GM-model enthusiasts, and we love their products, and we aren't happy with how the General does stuff- How do you think this sits with the general, non-enthusiast public? Why does GM suffer from the stigma of perceived poor product quality, even though, in fact, they build wonderful vehicles and powertrains?

The dearler wants to charge you $87 for changing a fuse, and then they wonder why you don't want to come back? Arrogance? They can't be that stupid, can they? I let the dealer do whatever warranty or recall work they want- everything else is either done by me or a highly competent certified mechanic who's hourly rate is about half wht the dealer charges- and who stands behind his work, and appreciates my business-
                2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking!
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

I went ahead and installed the new upper dash pad that I had ordered. It came well packaged along with the padding that goes underneath. The install required removing the front pillar covers, but that's easy.

The next couple of issues won't be. It's a toss up between headgaskets on the 93Z28 or Getting the WS6 running and removing all the bolt ons. Neither one is a single day affair.

Comment

I went ahead and installed the new upper dash pad that I had ordered. It came well packaged along with the padding that goes underneath. The install required removing the front pillar covers, but that's easy.

The next couple of issues won't be. It's a toss up between headgaskets on the 93Z28 or Getting the WS6 running and removing all the bolt ons. Neither one is a single day affair.
                      Were you able to find a reasonable deal on the dash pad? I need one too and they all seem to be priced about the same, plus shipping is rediculous.
                      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

This source was the least expensive anywhere. Believe me, I searched too.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214632

I ended up getting it shipped to my door for about what other discount dealers wanted just for the part.

Comment

Yea that is a good deal. Thanks Joe.
                          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X