Time to say goodbye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to say goodbye

Every winter I store it and cancel my insurance. It's been almost 2 years since I've driven it and with gas going $5.00 a gallon this summer, I just can't afford to drive it any more.

This weekend I'm going to trade it in along with my 99 Alero at the dealership and get an '08 Chevy Cobalt. I've looked at a lot of economy cars but GM offers 0% financing. I rented it when I was in Arizona this past spring and I really enjoyed it. 24 MPG and 34 highway. I'm just getting the base model. No fancy ground effects, fancy wheels or anything like that, just 5 speed and it's standard options.

Farewell, my friend. Thanks for the memories..

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

There is no shame in doing what you gotta do. This economy is really taking it's toll on us.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Did you look at the Pontiac G5? It is the same car but a little nicer inside. I wouldn't mind having one!

Oh, by the way...how is the pup doing?
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Like Norm said, there is nothing wrong with what your doing.. Time goes on and situations change. I just hope the dealer gives you a good price for it..
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Hate to see it go...but we all understand.

Plan to stick around?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Looks like your decision is well thought out, given your situation. They can take the cars from the car nut but they can't take the passion for cars away. I expect zaino'd pics of your cobalt and 1235^1234 th power coats to follow
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

aww thats tough to hear. good luck with everything and enjoy the cobalt!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

well thought out..hard to do, but been there myself.... you got the most important thing there with ya...

give the guy a hug from uncle ken!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

It's a tough decision, DJ, but a smart one. I made that decision almost two years ago. I miss it, but I barely drove it at that point.

You're making the right choice. Plus little 5-speeds are so much fun to drive.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Makes perfect sense. You notice that I haven't replaced my WS6? Even though she was made to run pretty quick, it also became a gas hog. While I miss mine, I don't miss filling up with premium every week.

Comment

I'm surprised your not giving the Cobalt SS a hard look. That's what I'm getting next spring.

At 30 mpg and $24K fully loaded, it'll do just fine when I'm not driving the T/A.
                      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                        Did you look at the Pontiac G5? It is the same car but a little nicer inside. I wouldn't mind having one!

Oh, by the way...how is the pup doing?
                        I did look at the G5. I looked at a lot of cars but the Cobalt stood out the most for me.

The pup's great. I got him on antihistamines for his skin alergies, though.. I've been taking him to the vet these past couple of weeks trying to find out what's causing it. It might have to do something with his food so I swtiched him to a non-alergy diet; Natural Balance.

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                        Hate to see it go...but we all understand.

Plan to stick around?
                        Of course! I don't see myself going any where else and this is the only car forum I'm a member of.

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                        well thought out..hard to do, but been there myself.... you got the most important thing there with ya...

give the guy a hug from uncle ken!
                        I remember when you sold your Firehawk. I was like "No Ken! Don't do it!" But now I understand...lol

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Makes perfect sense. You notice that I haven't replaced my WS6? Even though she was made to run pretty quick, it also became a gas hog. While I miss mine, I don't miss filling up with premium every week.
                        The last time I drove the T/A, Premium was hovering around the two dollar mark. Now it takes $60.00 to fill up my Alero and that's with regular. Imagine now..
                        Hercules

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso

The last time I drove the T/A, Premium was hovering around the two dollar mark. Now it takes $60.00 to fill up my Alero and that's with regular. Imagine now..
                          What really was killing me with the car (no pun intended) was mileage really dropped after all those mods. The gear change really took a toll with the automatic.

That's the beauty of my 94 with the V6. Looks every bit the part of the SS but with 33-34 mpg highway. Handles better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                            I'm surprised your not giving the Cobalt SS a hard look. That's what I'm getting next spring.

At 30 mpg and $24K fully loaded, it'll do just fine when I'm not driving the T/A.
                            The SS is a Coupe, I wanted a Sedan.

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            What really was killing me with the car (no pun intended) was mileage really dropped after all those mods. The gear change really took a toll with the automatic.

That's the beauty of my 94 with the V6. Looks every bit the part of the SS but with 33-34 mpg highway. Handles better too.
                            When I had my A4 with my 3:73, the gear change really took a hit on me as well. After my M6 conversion the extra gear helped a lot!
                            Hercules

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                              The SS is a Coupe, I wanted a Sedan.
                              The Sedan comes in SS form...just not Supercharged and the coupe for that matter. The coupe comes in non supercharged form too. If you want, the new SS Turbo version is coming out soon and suppose run circles around a lot cars. It's touted as the best front wheeler ever...260 turboed power.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X