Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 96FirebirdFormula
    Well buying harley is like buying a vette. your pay for the name

How is one of the finest performance/$ cars ever built "like" buying a HD. Harley's are overpriced, underperforming pigs that are IMO an embarrassment to American engineering and innovation. The Corvette is the polar opposite. I think most people who drop $70K+ on a new Z06 are more interested in the 505hp than the Corvette name.

I have to admit though, the chaps, toy helmet, and tassles on the bar ends are pretty cool.

markd79ta: solution... Sport bike eater (actually the 610 is a better long haul, but the 450RR is pure race, if it gets imported this year)
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean 94z28
      markd79ta: solution... Sport bike eater (actually the 610 is a better long haul, but the 450RR is pure race, if it gets imported this year)
      I thought about buying a street legal dirt bike at some point. However, I am paying off the five quads I bought this year for the family.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Sean 94z28

How is one of the finest performance/$ cars ever built "like" buying a HD. Harley's are overpriced, underperforming pigs that are IMO an embarrassment to American engineering and innovation. The Corvette is the polar opposite. I think most people who drop $70K+ on a new Z06 are more interested in the 505hp than the Corvette name.

I have to admit though, the chaps, toy helmet, and tassles on the bar ends are pretty cool.

That's nice, so my 2 Z06's that I have owned don't sit well next to my Harley? You have some real cheap shots in this thread at Harley's. Are you 18?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Dan
          That's nice, so my 2 Z06's that I have owned don't sit well next to my Harley? You have some real cheap shots in this thread at Harley's. Are you 18?
          Lucky you. Nice cars. Good looking bike (if that is your taste).

All the "cheapshots" can be backed up with photos, specs, whatever. How does the truth=cheap shots?

example:
          New HD "drag" bike

Yamaha's new "drag" bike

75hp difference! Had the V-rod came out as a V-Max eater, I would have been first in line singing its praises. Not even close. No excuses.

Only 18 year olds can have an opinion?

I am a huge fan of American made products and only wish Harley made a competative bike. Got friends AND relatives who love their HDs and I am no kinder to them.

If you don't like peoples opinions of HD, you can blame your straight pipe in the middle of the night, costume wearing brethren. Safety and performance last, noise first.
          1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

So, if it is not a drag bike or fast with performance then it's junk?
            What about us old folks that enjoy the high windshield, the patented, but not loud pipes and mufflers, the Ken wood cd/MP3 player, the weather, CB and cruise control?

What about us old guys that like to spend hours on our bikes without leaning over and sitting contorted with a sore back that hurts from working hard for 40 years?

To us, the Harley's like mine are a great value. It does not have a big bore or cams kit. It is plenty fast for cruising and gets near 50 MPG just the way it is? I guess of this matters.

For the record, my cousin has an old Hard Tail sporters with nitrous that will smoke most any bike on the road today.

Finally most important, it just isn't the same when a kid on a Hyabusha tells that biker chick, "show us your t&*s". LOL.

To each his own, that is what makes this a great country.

Me and Ken's friend Brian recently gave me a bumper sticker that is on my Chevy truck. It says, "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign". That about says it all for me. I have been out of a job enough times to feel the sting, so I am pretty adamant about trying to buy American when ever I can.

God Bless America and all the older generation that made it the great country it is. I just hope that my generation and future generations don't screw it up.

Oh, and one more thing. 18 Year olds are certainly welcome to thier opinion, but 50+ year olds have the experience and persepctive that is based on a wider view. I had an opinion when I was 18 and thought it was the only one that mattered. Now I think I know better, but I am not sure.

Comment

So, if it is not a drag bike or fast with performance then it's junk?
              What about us old folks that enjoy the high windshield, the patented, but not loud pipes and mufflers, the Ken wood cd/MP3 player, the weather, CB and cruise control?

What about us old guys that like to spend hours on our bikes without leaning over and sitting contorted with a sore back that hurts from working hard for 40 years?

To us, the Harley's like mine are a great value. It does not have a big bore or cams kit. It is plenty fast for cruising and gets near 50 MPG just the way it is? I guess of this matters.

For the record, my cousin has an old Hard Tail sporters with nitrous that will smoke most any bike on the road today.

Finally most important, it just isn't the same when a kid on a Hyabusha tells that biker chick, "show us your t&*s". LOL.

Me and Ken's friend Brian recently gave me a bumper sticker that is on my Chevy truck. It says, "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign". That about says it all for me. I have been out of a job enough times to feel the sting, so I am pretty adamant about trying to buy American when ever I can.

God Bless America and all the older generation that made it the great country it is. I just hope that my generation and future generations don't screw it up.

Oh, and one more thing. 18 Year olds are certainly welcome to thier opinion, but 50+ year olds have the experience and persepctive that is based on a wider view. I had an opinion when I was 18 and thought it was the only one that mattered. Now I think I know better, but I am not sure.
              I am with Happy_Dan. If I bought a new street bike, it would be a Victory or a Harley Davidson. I had a sport bike once, and I am too beat up to lean on my arms. I can only ride one for about 20-30 minutes before my back and arms give out.

There are all kinds of idiots out there driving/riding everything put on the road including our f-bodies. The stereotype of Harley riders is just one class. I think the yahoos on sport bikes going ridiculous speeds down our highways on one wheel puts them in a class way beyond the leather wearing Harley riders.

As far as the drag bikes, I think the riders of both have completely lost their mind.

It all comes down to this; each to his own.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

http://www.21wheels.com/elninja.html

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...ycle_gpr-s.php
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So, if it is not a drag bike or fast with performance then it's junk
                  Did I say that? No. If a bike is going to be 100+ db, or if the manufacturer is going to claim it is performance oriented, it should deliver. Especially at those prices. What other crowd do you know that is way loud without the performance to back it up?

More power to ya. Glad that is how everybody rides where your at. Where I live the large majority are trying to out cool each other with the loudest pipes and the goofiest gear. "Not loud pipes" are NOT the norm for the HD crowd. Be honest. It's usually the first mod.

Where are we going with this now? I linked two bikes on this thread. Neither is a sport bike. Neither have a bent over riding position. Where have I endorsed a single sport bike? You got me all figured out don't ya!

If you like it, it matters. I am sorry you are taking this so personally. I personally thought the HD vs Vette comparison was unfair for the reasons I stated. I still stand behind every word. I still feel strongly that you are a minority in the HD crowd.

Ricer excuse 101. I know/have blah, blah with a blah, blah that will smoke every blah, blah on the entire planet. I can play that too, but I don't. Record duly noted anyway. You're really 50 and using that line?

Your psychic powers linking me to the sport bike crowd are way off base. I would love for you to show everyone where I endorsed any type of sport bike or the crowd. I am no fan of their majority either, since many don't save it for the track. BTW, I love t&*S, but I don't think women should be spoken to that way. I'll still look if some jerk does it though.

Cheers!

Never bought a foreign car in my life (I am way older than you are assuming). My motorcycle is not Japanese, it is Italian with a heritage as deep as HDs. It is foreign, but the choice of American dirt bikes/dual sports is very poor. I spend way more on many things just to avoid Chinese and foreign made crap, for exactly the reasons you state.

For future generations not to screw up, they will have to make products that are better in every way. My opinion is that HD doesn't live up to that. I think Americans are capable of making far superior products. And I live that everyday in an industry that is out-sourced more than most.

The old man thing is getting old. Especially since I am MUCH closer to your age than 18. You seem to equate being critical of American products with being immature, and anybody who doesn't love HD is a punk. I beg to differ. So my criticisms weren't all sugar coated. Never have been. Doesn't make them less valid.

Comment

No doubt Jeff!
                    23hp, 150lbs
                    The off-road crowd is in a huge battle with the greenies! This may be our only hope

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                      I am with Happy_Dan. If I bought a new street bike, it would be a Victory or a Harley Davidson. I had a sport bike once, and I am too beat up to lean on my arms. I can only ride one for about 20-30 minutes before my back and arms give out.

There are all kinds of idiots out there driving/riding everything put on the road including our f-bodies. The stereotype of Harley riders is just one class. I think the yahoos on sport bikes going ridiculous speeds down our highways on one wheel puts them in a class way beyond the leather wearing Harley riders.

As far as the drag bikes, I think the riders of both have completely lost their mind.

It all comes down to this; each to his own.
                      I haven't mentioned sport bikes, and am not a big fan either. Haven't defended them or their crowd anywhere here. They should take it to the track. I don't own or want a drag bike. But if you make a claim (HD says it's a drag bike), back it up already. If your going to make you bike 110 fn decibels, you shouldn't get smoked by 93 Ninja 600s.

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
                        Just filled up today ,I got 48 miles per gallon driving like a good boy.
                        WOO HOO!!!!
                        That's awesome!!

I just filled up my 85 Honda Shadow and am getting 37mpg... Not nearly as nice a bike as yours nor as good on gas but it beats the 20 I get from my Formula and 18 that I get from my Caprice...
                        Greg W. in West Michigan
                        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                        <Motor out

Comment

Its now frog approved

2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

I thnik we are actually agreeing on most of this AND I owe you an apology. I did not click on your links and I made an assumption that you linked to sport bikes and you know what they say about assumptions!!

The only thing I really disagree on is that you say that HD us junk and they don't make quality bikes. I think you pay more for a Harley and a lot of that is the name (hats off to the great marketing team that Harley has) but I also think their bikes and clothes are quality.

So, glad we can have this discussion, I am not really taking it all that personal, just don't like my bike that I have passion for same as the passion I have for my car called junk, that's all.

Peace, enjoy your rides and hopefully we have a nice weather weekend so we can pick a toy and use it!

Comment

Also. Mark, sorry for the jack! May bad too!

Nice bike and good luck with it! Ride safe.

Comment

I will also offer my apologies for the hijack and the unintended rudeness. None of us like to be stereotyped with the bad apples that are always present in our hobbies and interests. My recent opinions of the HD crowd have mostly been formed by 2 or 3 incredably rude neighbors, that force our family to use AC when open windows would be perfect. One leaves for work at 4:10AM and the other 2 are late nighters. If they could simply stay off the throttle for another 1/2 mile. After that, they would be out of the residential area. I'm not the type to call PD about rude jerks, but other neighbors have. Never seen any enforcement at all. Funny part is, in CA they have Sheriffs and Rangers in the midde of nowhere on the side of the trail with sound level meters. Ticketing dirt bikes dozens of miles from civilization.

I'll also be the first to admit that Harley has made amazing progress in product quality and reliability. And Dan is right on about their marketing and customer service excellence.

msfyter: sorry, have fun, be safe. Watch out for cars turning left in front you. It is the most common type of mc accident and I never saw it coming when it happened to me.

I love when I "fill up" and it only costs $10.

Comment

Working...
                                X