No announcement yet.

Droppin in a 383 Stroker!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be getting pretty good at pulling that motor in and out. That blows, I hate doing things twice. Good luck with the project.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

lol yea guys it gonna get crazy but i got a few people and im pulling it from the top. so that should get a little crazy to. lol but whatever its what i want so ima get it done
      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
      GOT PSi?
      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
        lol yea guys it gonna get crazy but i got a few people and im pulling it from the top. so that should get a little crazy to. lol but whatever its what i want so ima get it done
        It's actually a little easier project if you lift the nose of the car off the front cradle assembly.

Comment

oo the guy doing the swap told me to pull it out the top tranny and motor all in one. and plus i kinda need to be able to still roll the car around out of the way of many other projecdts in the back yard. for those of you who remember i dont exactly have alot of room. lol
          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
          GOT PSi?

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Yeah I agree with Joe and Fred. Seems like the builder has a bunch of parts laying around and is going to piece the engine together. I mean if he is going to just Bore the block and pout some junk Pistons and some old used stroker crack and use the stock cam,head, and intake set-up then yeah $1900 is about right.

The smell of fishies is everywhere. Yeah I dont know like fred said, We dont mean to burst your bubble and i know that great feeling u get when u hear a great deal like this, but step back and realize what your getting yourself into.

A decent 383 stroker:
            New pistons
            New Crank
            New Rods
            New Push-rods
            New lifter
            new cam
            New springs and retainers
            Cam and crank bearings
            All the gaskets
            Optional :
            Ported Intake manifold
            Port and polished Heads
            Bigger valves

Im pretty confident that all these things alone will equal up to well over $1900 aside from the cost to assemble.

if done right the lower end alone will be more than 1900

No offense bro but i see a BIG " I told ya so " coming outta this.
            '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
            '00 T/A Silver
            '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
              oo the guy doing the swap told me to pull it out the top tranny and motor all in one. and plus i kinda need to be able to still roll the car around out of the way of many other projecdts in the back yard. for those of you who remember i dont exactly have alot of room. lol
              That kind of negates the whole idea of a front cradle/K member assembly. Pull a few bolts, disconnect a few basic items and it all drops out the bottom. Pulling motor and transmission from the top in these cars is like a delicate ballet. It also takes a "Happy Hooker" , an adjustable lift attachment that allows changes in the angle of the engine/trans in order to get the beast in and out.

I dunno....... to me, it all sounds waayyyy too good to be true.

We'll just have to sit back and see, I hope for your sake it's not the case.

Right about now is when the typical f-body owner wished they had a 92-96 Corvette instead. open the hood, the whole thing lifts right out with no fuss or clearance issues. What a breeze by comparison. Just don't try to unbolt the hood without a bunch of help, that sucker weighs a ton.

Comment

Well as they say, the lord works in mysterious ways.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

ok guys here is the update on everything. my and three of my buddys had the motor and trans out the top in about three hours the biggest problem we had was the y-pipe was hitting the motor mount other then that it actually came out pretty easy.

now to the new motor i took my motor over as a core and he has a short-block assembled. the rotating assembly is brand new he has a spec card for that. he has two unused cams sitting in a box with a spec card as well one is a hotcam and one is a little bigger (sorry i dont remember the exacts) he is putting in. he said as long as they check out of he is going to use my rockers he has untouched lifters. on order is valves springs retainers and everything. and a brand new intake. that all i can remember so yea i understand what you guys are saying i hope it doesnt turn into an i told you so thing but there is no going back now lol.
                  94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                  75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                  GOT PSi?

Comment

Personally, I would pay for new pushrods and rockers.

Comment

well i already told him that withing a few months ima drop in 1.6 and some real good pushrods. but right now im in a dilema. i barely have the money for the build so i just need to get what i can get done. i found the money to make sure the bottom end and stuff but more top-end and everything can wait a month or two
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      GOT PSi?

Comment

I agree with everyone else, You should of pulled the K-member. Much easier I think. We did that with my brothers Camaro.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

You can make a good case for doing it both ways. The shop pulled mine from the top, because I insisted that after the engine was out, the chassis was going into a nearby storage facility, and not going to sit in the shop's parking lot like most of the other cars they work on. It was a good plan, because it took almost 5 months just to get the Callies crank, and then another three months to complete all the work on the engine and drivetrain.
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                            You can make a good case for doing it both ways. The shop pulled mine from the top, because I insisted that after the engine was out, the chassis was going into a nearby storage facility, and not going to sit in the shop's parking lot like most of the other cars they work on. It was a good plan, because it took almost 5 months just to get the Callies crank, and then another three months to complete all the work on the engine and drivetrain.

Like Fred said, I can see both ways.

I personally have done it both ways. and I definately prefer the out the top method.

Joe you do not need a "happy hooker" if you just drop the trans off first. only takes about 30-45 minutes to drop the trans.
                            '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                            '00 T/A Silver
                            '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
                              Like Fred said, I can see both ways.

I personally have done it both ways. and I definately prefer the out the top method.

Joe you do not need a "happy hooker" if you just drop the trans off first. only takes about 30-45 minutes to drop the trans.
                              He stated that the engine and trans were coming out the top, that's why the suggestion. Without the trans it comes out fairly easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X