Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Jimmy Fuel vapor smell - BAD

1995 GMC Jimmy - 4.3 V6 Auto 4 Wheel

It was running rough with a ses light. I had it checked and it showed low voltage to the oxy sensors. I replaced them both, plus plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter, air filter, etc. No dice. So I took it into a friends shop and he hooked it up to his computer and it showed that the code was gone but the truck was still running pig rich. He thought maybe the "spider" injector was bad. So I pulled the top of the intake off and found out that the fuel pressure regulator was leaking. Replaced it and walla. It fixed the pig richness and the ses went off after a few miles. Fast forward a couple weeks and the ses came back on. AutoZone checked it and said the egr valve was sticking. The ses went off on the drive home. Every once in a while it will pop back on. Now that it is somewhat warm outside, I like to open the windows. However, when we do, we get a nauseating facefull of fuel smell. Like I was pumping vapor right in the cab.

Would a stuck egr valve cause something like this? Or do I have a problem with the fuel vapor canister? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Just a guess...

EGR recirculates unburned fuel vapor back into intake correct?
    Is it possible that the rich condition caused the EGR to foul and subsequently fail?
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I am leaning toward that theory. At least for the smell. I brought it back over to my buddies' shop and it showed a code for a bad catalytic converter. I think dumping all of that raw fuel down the exhaust pipe wasn't good on it. I will probably try to clean the egr after I get a new converter installed. One thing at a time...you know...
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

Working...
      X