new Trans Am owner question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soon

thanks Craig...luckily there's already bbk headers on there so, that should help a little. just bought plugs and wires and i'll be tackling that job here very soon...

Comment

Oh thats good, they will definitely help with access and visibility. Also make sure to note the routing of the wires because some headers make it tough to route (I'm unfamiliar with BBK's style). I've gone through 5 wires on my SLP headers in the past year on cylinder #5. It's not fun after a while!
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

helpful header hint #57

Do youself favor and buy Taylor Firesleeves. They are a braided thermal shield that cover your plug wires and boots. Once the sleeves are in place, you can lay them across the headers and they will still be protected. That's the best way to prevent ignition wire breakdown. Your spark will be stronger too..... resistance increases with heat so you want to keep the wires cool.

Comment

For some reason, no firesleeve seems to hold up to the temp of my coated SLP headers. I have gone through 1 SLP firesleeve, 3 Taylor firesleeves, and I'm going through a ThermoTech one. I'm not sure how hot your engine or BBK headers will get, but every one that has touched my headers has about a 1 month life span (or less).
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            For some reason, no firesleeve seems to hold up to the temp of my coated SLP headers. I have gone through 1 SLP firesleeve, 3 Taylor firesleeves, and I'm going through a ThermoTech one. I'm not sure how hot your engine or BBK headers will get, but every one that has touched my headers has about a 1 month life span (or less).
            Wow..... I had no problems with the firesleeves and SLP headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Wow..... I had no problems with the firesleeves and SLP headers.
              Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either, considering the temp ratings. But it did this before the new motor, and after, so I don't think it's something in the engine causing the headers to be so hot. The Taylors I had were 2000 max temp, but no rating on the constant temp, if touching the header. The ThermoTecs seem to be lasting longer though...it's like some kind of foil outside material, and fiberglass inside. The heat has already caused each layer to separate. However, I even have a firesleeve inside the ThermoTech firesleeve, and it's still burning through. The only solution was to have an extra long wire to route it through the block/engine mount area.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

Comment

go on

hijack away....any help i can get is extremely useful.

Comment

I'll have to go look under the hood and see how my wires are routed. something about Craig's post made me think that I re-routed a wire or two so that there was no contact with the exhaust, the firesleeves only had to deal with radiated heat. I also seem to remember doing a double thickness but only on the boot and the first several inches of wire.

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
                  for shame, you hijacker.

So how about this year's NFL...... LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X