Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Car Cover Suggestions

Hey guys,

My car will be sitting outside all winter (dont have a garage), and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on covering it. Last year I put a regular car cover on it, and then a tarp on that to keep out the snow/rain. Unfortunately, my cover fell apart and I need a new one. Should I just buy a new cover and do the same thing I did last year? If so, what kind of cover do you suggest? Thank you very much for any help in advance!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

this will give you an idea:

http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find2.aspx

I had the Noah for years before it started to deteriorate. The better the cover, the longer it will last. Factor in the replacement vs the length of time before replacement is needed. Eventually, they all rot.

Comment

noah weathershield... waterproof. Nuff said ~ 8 years of use
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Is the Noah weathershield the same thing as selecting the NOAH material under the link Joe gave?

If so, do you think its weatherproof enough to keep snow and ice out for long periods of time? Unfortunately I can't have my car at school (I go to school in Philly and it would just get ruined), and I dont want my mom to have to get the snow off all winter....Thanks for the help so far guys! You've really been a great help. I hate having to keep my car outside, but unfortunately I dont have any other option
        Mods:
        "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
        Pro 5.0 Shifter
        Crane 1.5rrs
        Comp high tech pushrods
        SLP Loudmouth II
        SLP Cold air intake
        UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I wouldn't use any universal fit car cover for outdoors. You get what you pay for just like anything else, and if you want to keep your TA looking good, spend the extra $ for a good custom fit cover. A good one will not only protect your finish well, but it will also last longer in the elements, so it's worth the investment.

I'm currently on my 2nd Coverking and I would recommend their covers, first the Stormsheild, now the Stormproof which is basically an improvement on the former. My first came with a four year warranty and it lasted. It was very water-tight from the outside and even where water would pool on the trunk lid it never got in. It also fit well; only the windiest of days would give me any trouble. My current is the StormProof which fits quite like the previous but with tighter elastics around the bottom which has made it an excellent cover so far. It is also unique in that it isn't sprayed with a coating to make it water resistant like most covers, but rather the material it is woven with makes it water resistant. This is good because those coatings do wear off especially if you ever need to wash it. So far it has done well.

The Noah is decent and among the most popular. The Evolutions seem a little cheaply made to me and I've heard of this material being rough on the paint. Perhaps they've gotten better. Stick with a custom fit that isn't made from a bunch of pieces sewn together leaving seams. I think you'll find it to be worth the cost.
          Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
          2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

My question is which one would protect best against cat claws. I had a Noah and the cats tore it up in a year. I bought a different one but I am not sure who makes it. It seams to be a little better but I am still worried about the claws going through the cover and scratching the paint.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
              My question is which one would protect best against cat claws. I had a Noah and the cats tore it up in a year. I bought a different one but I am not sure who makes it. It seams to be a little better but I am still worried about the claws going through the cover and scratching the paint.
              These are your cats? Problem is that though some covers have a multi-layer construction, they are made to protect the car from light impacts (pine cones, acorns falling from trees, etc.) but a cat's claws are still going to be hard on the fabric if the cat's insisting on clawing at it. Most covers are designed to be light. Honestly I would have said the Noah to be a good choice. Maybe someone else could, but I can't think of something really tough enough on the outside and soft enough inside for your finish. If it's a pesky neighborhood cat you might have to get creative.
              Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                Unfortunately I can't have my car at school (I go to school in Philly and it would just get ruined), and I dont want my mom to have to get the snow off all winter....Thanks for the help so far guys! You've really been a great help. I hate having to keep my car outside, but unfortunately I dont have any other option
                I had the exact same issue. My Coverking Stomshield/Stormproof Covers did a fantastic job when I kept my car at home and went to Temple for 5 years.
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
                  These are your cats? Problem is that though some covers have a multi-layer construction, they are made to protect the car from light impacts (pine cones, acorns falling from trees, etc.) but a cat's claws are still going to be hard on the fabric if the cat's insisting on clawing at it. Most covers are designed to be light. Honestly I would have said the Noah to be a good choice. Maybe someone else could, but I can't think of something really tough enough on the outside and soft enough inside for your finish. If it's a pesky neighborhood cat you might have to get creative.
                  They are "our" cats.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

98 'Bird - Thats pretty funny that you were in the same situation...I think the only difference is that you went to Temple, i'm going to Drexel. Both in Philly though! haha

I'm not completely sure whether i'm going to go with the coverking or noah cover yet...maybe i'll look at some more reviews and see. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
                    Mods:
                    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                    Pro 5.0 Shifter
                    Crane 1.5rrs
                    Comp high tech pushrods
                    SLP Loudmouth II
                    SLP Cold air intake
                    UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                      They are "our" cats.
                      Haha. Notice the quotes. I hope you find something that will work. I'll keep it in mind in the meantime.
                      98 'Bird - Thats pretty funny that you were in the same situation...I think the only difference is that you went to Temple, i'm going to Drexel. Both in Philly though! haha

I'm not completely sure whether i'm going to go with the coverking or noah cover yet...maybe i'll look at some more reviews and see. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
                      Neat. You wouldn't happen to be an engineering major would you?
                      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Yeah, I am. I'm a mechanical engineering major. How about you?
                        Mods:
                        "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                        Pro 5.0 Shifter
                        Crane 1.5rrs
                        Comp high tech pushrods
                        SLP Loudmouth II
                        SLP Cold air intake
                        UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

mall animal traps work wonder with cats. Available at feed stores, add the bait and set them up. When the critter has been collected, take it right over to the owner (if you know who it is) and inform them that next time it won't be returned to them. usually that ends the problem. If not, just go catfishing again. They are predictable.....

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            mall animal traps work wonder with cats. Available at feed stores, add the bait and set them up. When the critter has been collected, take it right over to the owner (if you know who it is) and inform them that next time it won't be returned to them. usually that ends the problem. If not, just go catfishing again. They are predictable.....
                            Take them to my wife?

Comment

Yeah, I am. I'm a mechanical engineering major. How about you?
                              Mechanical Engineering. Just graduated in May. That's spooky. I had a feeling you are an ME. We're often drawn towards the same carreer paths and lifestyle here on this forum. I guess it's a cetrain type of person who we are to be here in the first place. Hopefully i'm making sence... i've been working a lot and quite tired. Do you live in PA? I live in NJ and had an aptment in Philly for 5 years. Drexel ranks high in their program... higher than Temple so stick with it and do your homework . If this is your freshman year, boy you have a lot of work ahead of you. But seriously it'll be fun and i'm already looking back and missing school . Plus once you've graduated the economy will probably back in shape. It's rough now, and a good time to be in school.
                              Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X