water pump?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump?

How do you "bench test" a electrical water pump while still on motor? Never had to do that it before. thanks

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Originally posted by thomas
    How do you "bench test" a electrical water pump while still on motor? Never had to do that it before. thanks
    bench test and on the motor are two different things. A bench test is when the part is literally on the workbench and not installed on the car.

Comment

So can i check it while its still on the motor? heads are off and all coolant was drained. I was told to just hook power to it for a sec to see if it came on and shut it off quick or ill burn it up.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
        So can i check it while its still on the motor? heads are off and all coolant was drained. I was told to just hook power to it for a sec to see if it came on and shut it off quick or ill burn it up.
        Well, yes..... but that doesn't tell the whole story. All you would be doing is checking to see if the motor works. The downside is that shows nothing as far as if the impeller is actually moving fluid.

Comment

and then i got this...

"I'd get a couple of buckets, one full of water and one empty to catch the water, and a bunch of hose to reach the buckets. Put the full bucket as close to the pump as you can (like right on top of the engine), as you don't know how much suction head one of these baby's has. Make sure you have the goesin and the goesout of the pump in the right bucket, or all it'll do is blow bubbles at you."

current

Comment

If it were me, I would remove the pump. It's only a few bolts and it would prevent any mishap of getting water into the shortblock. Then do a "bench test" using a bucket of water. All you need to do is verify the suction and the output. No hoses required. To me, that's the safest.

Comment

yea pull it off, it just a couple gaskets and 10 mins, plus the motor might run but the impeller might not turn(volkswagens are known for this)
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X