Big decision to make..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big decision to make..

Work has sucked for the last 3+ years and I am putting in 55+ hours a week and they told me 3 weeks ago that part of my teams development focus is going to be moved to India. Layoff rumors have been going on for a while now. Having said all that, they announced a Voluntary staff reduction program - 15% of the workforce. If I took it, I would get almost a year's pay. The stress is taking its toll on me and I planned to scale back at 55 anyways, but not at 48. The wife says go, and we can live on her income. The problem is the job market does suck right now.

Oh well... I am supposed to get the formal paperwork on Monday and have to decide by Tuesday at 5 pm. Of course, I am leaving this morning for vacation and heading down to Ocean City, Md for the week. This is a tough one as I like the people, but the company that bought our division 6 years ago is just not a good fit for me. So much for a relaxing vacation...
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

It sounds like the only reason you have to stay is the inability to find another job once you leave your current one....and you are right to feel that way. The economy is absolutely atrocious and worse for people with experience since no company wants to pay more for experienced workers.

I would take the buyout and keep your fingers crossed. If you can live off of her income do it.

Best of luck, not sure what I would do in your shoes.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

block it out for the vacation.. remember.. you cant change anything while you are in O.C. so enjoy and dont even think about it!

find this place and let your mind drift.............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

If the wife says to leave, then that is an OBVIOUS sign that you need to leave. Most women would say "whatever you decide, honey". But if she is saying take the layoff, then it's obviously stressing your home life, too.

Me being a single guy, I would stick with it until I was sure I had something else lined up. Play the odds that others will take the voluntary reduction and you'll still have your job. If nobody takes it, then you still have a shot at keeping your job when they come through with mandatory stuff. Even then you'll get a severance package. It's kinda like selling a house, you never take the first offer, unless it's what you wanted in the first place.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Wow amazing how many companies are doing this early retirement thing. 3 of our major customers are doing and have done it. Most of them were understaffed already and they are still cutting staff, lets hope it will open up for some great opportunities in the near future.

Yes I agree, if the better half says go for it who are you to question it.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks all for the support. We just got to Delaware for the night... I let my wife do the same thing about 20 years ago, but the economy wasn't that bad.

The only guarantee with this is that work will get worse with the people leaving and not better.... :-( More hours and more crap for the people that stay. I know I will only make 50 - 60 % of what I am making now which sucks, but I will be alive to enjoy it... HR is scrambling from what I am hearing because the smart people are opting in and not the folks who really should go..

I'll let you know what I decide... Have a good evening.
            2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
            2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
            2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

Do one thing and one thing only... Enjoy Ocean City and make sure to eat at J/R's. I was there last year and it was one of the best steaks I've had in a very long time.

As far as the job goes, it almost sounds like they may lay you off eventually anyway. However, I would try to get more out of them. Worse they can say is no. Try for a better severance package. You have been there long enough to have them at least consider it.

Good luck and relax!
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

To me it looks like the writing is on the wall. There are companies hiring qualified and solid people who are willing to WORK. 55+ hours says alot on a resume'

Comment

Thanks all.... This is how bad it is... HR has had this program going for 2 weeks now we have to decide if we want to opt out by 5 PM ET tomorrow. The problem is that they haven't given anyone any of the separation agreement paperwork for review. How can you make a decision when you don't know what legal ramifications they are going to put in the paperwork? I know there will be a 12 month non-compete, but what is the wording and what does it entail...

This is extremely stressful and this is their normal MO... It's sad...
                  2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                  2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

Only you can make the call but it sounds like you are not going to be happy if you stay so maybe it is time for a change. The first thing you need to do is look at is your finances to see how (long) you can survive without working. That requires you do some forecasting for several years out. You also have to have a mind set that you may not be able to make as much as you do now in the future. Your age works against you when faced with finding another job. I retired at age 49 myself and have not worked for anyone the last 15 years. Instead, I spent a lot of time getting my finances in order and so far that has worked for me. While you may not be able to retire, if you can survive for a few years without working and are willing to work for less money than you make now, then you are probably OK because that will give you enough time to find work.

Good luck on the decision which ever way you go.

Dave
                    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Speaking of non-compete clauses, I can't say for New York, but non-compete clauses are worthless in CT. They don't stand up in court. I know this by experience.

Six years ago, I worked for Nielsen Brands Alcohol Research Division (They also do the Nielsen TV ratings). When they laid me off, I went to work for one of the competitors. Nielsen took me to court because I signed a non-compete clause. The judge shut down that case inside of five minutes stating CT has laws against such a document, and companies could even be brought up on charges for making employees sign it.

His example was that if a doctor left a practice, he couldn't be made to stop working because of going to the competition. That's his lively-hood. Same goes for any other line of work.

Just an FYI to look into.
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

Comment

Luckily, our finances are in order. Our house is paid off and I have 2 rentals that are bringing in some money every month. We also have money set aside for my daughter's college tuition, so that isn't a worry.

Unfortunately, NY does recognized non-competes. They can't stop you from working though.

Now they have pushed back the opt out date another day and they still haven't provided us any formal information.

This is frustrating...
                        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
                          Luckily, our finances are in order. Our house is paid off and I have 2 rentals that are bringing in some money every month. We also have money set aside for my daughter's college tuition, so that isn't a worry.

Unfortunately, NY does recognized non-competes. They can't stop you from working though.

Now they have pushed back the opt out date another day and they still haven't provided us any formal information.

This is frustrating...
                          Ahh.. Unfortunate on the non-compete. It's great you have little debt and some decent income though.

Sorry this has been so frustrating. I think it's yet another sign to take the opt-out. A company who can't treat their workers with respect in a stressful time doesn't deserve you for an employee any longer.
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

Comment

Well, I did take the separation offer. It's pretty scary, not having a job for the first time in 29+ years. It pretty much messed up my vacation in Ocean City last week as the final details came out on Tuesday and we had to reply by 5 pm ET Wednesday. I also had to tell my team via email on Friday which sucked.
                            I took all my stuff back in today and I will miss the people, but it was time for me to move on. Tomorrow starts a whole new chapter in my life and hopefully it's a good one...
                            The only good thing is I have almost a year of severance to fall back on…
                            Now the fun begins…
                            2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                            2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
                              Well, I did take the separation offer. It's pretty scary, not having a job for the first time in 29+ years. It pretty much messed up my vacation in Ocean City last week as the final details came out on Tuesday and we had to reply by 5 pm ET Wednesday. I also had to tell my team via email on Friday which sucked.
                              I took all my stuff back in today and I will miss the people, but it was time for me to move on. Tomorrow starts a whole new chapter in my life and hopefully it's a good one...
                              The only good thing is I have almost a year of severance to fall back on…
                              Now the fun begins…
                              Congrats on making a very difficult decision. Best of luck!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X