My car vs. a 350Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car vs. a 350Z

I was picking up Chinese food with my girlfriend today and on the ride back, she mentioned that her friends mom had just bought him a car. I asked her what kind, she had forgotten. My first guess was a Nissan 350Z and somehow, i hit the nail right on the head. Now, this kid is an idiot. A rich idiot but he's still an idiot (who wears the same pair of clothes for days without washing them). If my girlfriend mentions to him that i have a Trans Am, i'm guessing this kid will want to race. Chances are i'll just laugh at him since A) It probably won't ever happen as one of us will lose interest, not that i really have any to begin with and B) I can't even count the amount of cops out. I'm really not into having my car impounded so this makes the situation even less appealing. For my own satisfaction or for the slim chance that i do decide to race him, who do you guys think will win? He's got a brand new 350Z as i've already mentioned and it's an auto. I've got a six speed with a CAI and a Flowmaster cat- back so i might as well be bone stock. I've tested out how i could shift if i was racing and i surprised myself at how well i can shift, my only problem would be launching. I'd imagine that this kids car like most other Japanese cars need to be redlined before they can really shine so i'm guessing the auto isn't the best for racing. I do remember reading somewhere that the Z has some torque though so that's a concern. I'd really rather take my car down to a track some day just to see what it's capable of but sometimes things happen and sometimes these things aren't always good . Thanks for any input- Tom
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

hondas rev high, not all jap cars. He will probably beat you. Straight line and course. That's a torquey car right there. I think the new ones are running mid to high 13's stock. Not sure though. Watch it.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

That little 3.5L V6 is putting out 287 hp and the curb weight is only 3197 lbs. If he can get it to hook, he'd probably take you, but it'd be very close. It will come down to driver and what speed you take it too. Motor Trend got a '04 model to go 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 in 13.77@100.94 mph. Probably a couple ticks quicker than what you're running, but again, it comes down to the driver.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
        hondas rev high, not all jap cars. He will probably beat you. Straight line and course. That's a torquey car right there. I think the new ones are running mid to high 13's stock. Not sure though. Watch it.
        I think it's a Nissan. http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Mo...120017,00.html
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          I know. He said jap cars rev high. I said honda's rev high, not all jap cars. Nissan being a jap car that doesn't rev high
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

yeah, it's probably going to depend on the driver. They should be very close time wise..

I wrecked one in my AWD Talon a couple years ago. Should of seen the look on the yuppy's face who was driving it. It was priceless.. hahaaa.. but then again, my Talon was a crack smoking turbo junky. There weren't many cars on the road that could take it.
            99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

I know. He said jap cars rev high. I said honda's rev high, not all jap cars. Nissan being a jap car that doesn't rev high
              I see said the blind man.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

They have a really efficient traction control system, so unfortunatley hooking up is not really an issue (even for a rich idiot) and they are very strong on the low end.
                NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
                (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Ah, because i was seeing stock DSM tach's that went to 9,000 and that's a Mitsubishi so i figured that was a Japanese thing like tons of low end grunt is the American thing (for the most part). I didn't think a traction control system would help as dumb as this sounds. In test they've done on certain cars with traction control and it actually slowed them down, how is beyond me. Just letting the car try and hook on it's own ran better times. I gotta find the article because now i'm starting to doubt myself . Well, since my grandpa is seeming less and less interested in buying my car, i guess i'll just have to modify it until i really like it even though it will take quite a few years. I've already owned it for almost one full year and still haven't done anything with it. Oh well, guess now i should really just avoid racing him. Thanks guys
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    He's got a brand new 350Z as i've already mentioned and it's an auto.
                    That is the Achillies' heel.......................... It would have to be a stick shift to really run the numbers. You should be at least be able to keep pace if not take the win with a good launch.

Comment

i took a 300zx down in my 77. but i think it was like a 94 or something.
                      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Heheh, thought the auto might be a weakness. It would be even better if it was a stick since this kid is a dolt. If he had a stick, at least i'd be able to assume he'd miss a gear or drop it back into first in an attempt to shift to third but the car just does everything for him, not to mention it's his first car so he's probably not too great a driver. It'll be wrecked in a few months. Not that it matters since his mom will just buy him another It's like this kid that went to my high school. For his first car, his dad bought him a 2001 WS6. He got too many speeding tickets though so his dad punished him by taking away the Trans Am, selling it and making his son drive a brand new Mercedes At least this kid was cool though. Thanks again guys.
                        SOLD- Kinda miss it
                        SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

I was at the drag strip in my sentra, raced a 350z, don't know if it was an auto or not though. Was probably a bad driver too.... I absolutely murdered the car on the launch and was a bit ahead at 1/8 mi mark. I think I ran a 15.7 that run, 100% humidity, slight drizzle, and just over 85 degrees, nasty sticky weather.

Anyway, the 350z passed me just after the 1/8 mark and was a good bit ahead at the end. Friend watching said that he thought I was actually going to win for a short while

Problem with the 350z though in the quarter mile, if a standard, is you have to shift JUST before the 1/4 mile mark which will add a tenth I imagine. So depending on the gearing of your car you might have one less shift and get a little edge if you're doing a quarter mile... but from the sound of your post I doubt it.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

So how quick is it's twin the infinity G35?

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
                            Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              That is the Achillies' heel.......................... It would have to be a stick shift to really run the numbers. You should be at least be able to keep pace if not take the win with a good launch.
                              It's not that much of a weakness, they have 5 speed autos which mean better ratios than the 4 speeds we're used too.
                              Dave M
                              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                              X